Veterans Illegally Take Down Barracades to Monuments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2013, 10:55 AM
RE: Veterans Illegally Take Down Barracades to Monuments
(14-10-2013 10:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 10:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And so what? all government employees are still not getting paid?
Are the protests rather large?

"Nonessential" government employees are basically suspended without pay. "Essential" employees are still working and getting their regular paychecks. I am not essential :/

I thought only soldiers were getting paid. Everyone else will only be paid after the shutdown.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2013, 11:09 AM
(14-10-2013 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 10:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  "Nonessential" government employees are basically suspended without pay. "Essential" employees are still working and getting their regular paychecks. I am not essential :/

I thought only soldiers were getting paid. Everyone else will only be paid after the shutdown.

Soldiers are getting paid. I think postal workers too are. I know the federal courts are open but the judges are going without pay for now and have let go unessential staff until the budget issue is fixed. I do know some clerks still receive a paycheck for now.

It's interesting because there's a restaurant in San Francisco called the Cliff House that technically sits on federal land but is operated completely independently from it.

The government ordered the restaurant closed. The Fed hasn't anything to do with the restaurant and even the insurance is paid for my the owners...It just sits on land given to the federal government as part of the parks service. The land isn't even leased to the restaurant, by the federal government either. The restaurant in one way or another stood long before the government owned the land so it was simply grandfathered into it...We're talking since the 1800s. The land wasn't owned by the parks department until 1980s.

They did comply for a little while, but recently we heard it reopened. They said it was stupid that they be closed....it's not like the federal government pays the chefs or anyone.

When tears are in your eyes and you can't find the way
It's hard to make believe you're happy when you're gray
Baby, when you're feelin' like you'll never see the mornin' light
Come to me..Baby, you'll see -- The Four Seasons

14-10-2013, 11:09 AM
(14-10-2013 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 10:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  "Nonessential" government employees are basically suspended without pay. "Essential" employees are still working and getting their regular paychecks. I am not essential :/

Nope. Drilling reservists are not drilling and therefore are not getting paid, just like a lot of other government employees. The local DOE workers (Y-12 Security Complex) are not working at least. I'm not sure about the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

14-10-2013, 11:14 AM
(14-10-2013 11:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I thought only soldiers were getting paid. Everyone else will only be paid after the shutdown.

Nope. Drilling reservists are not drilling and therefore are not getting paid, just like a lot of other government employees. The local DOE workers (Y-12 Security Complex) are not working at least. I'm not sure about the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

No, I know that a lot of workers have been furloughed and will not be paid but I was referring to those actually working. Of those only soldiers are actually drawing a paycheck right now everyone else has to wait until after the shutdown.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-10-2013, 11:21 AM
(14-10-2013 11:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 11:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Nope. Drilling reservists are not drilling and therefore are not getting paid, just like a lot of other government employees. The local DOE workers (Y-12 Security Complex) are not working at least. I'm not sure about the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

No, I know that a lot of workers have been furloughed and will not be paid but I was referring to those actually working. Of those only soldiers are actually drawing a paycheck right now everyone else has to wait until after the shutdown.

A.) Not everyone in the military is a soldier. B.) Not all soldiers are drawing a paycheck.

You may be right about other government employees. Not sure.

14-10-2013, 01:31 PM
There was a loophole found to keep all staff considered "essential" on their regular pay schedule. Everyone else is just screwed, and I'm not sure how these politicians seem to think that eliminating that many jobs (even temporarily) will help the economy in any way. They're using the logic of 5 year olds arguing over toys.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
14-10-2013, 02:15 PM
All i have is the stupid wikipedia page so can somebudy explain the shutdown more?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-10-2013, 02:40 PM
(14-10-2013 11:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 11:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Nope. Drilling reservists are not drilling and therefore are not getting paid, just like a lot of other government employees. The local DOE workers (Y-12 Security Complex) are not working at least. I'm not sure about the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Not exactly. My friend works as a law clerk and for now is drawing a paycheck. Judges aren't getting paid. The courts are mostly financed through court fees. When that money is gone tho...she will get half her regular pay.

Postal workers as far as I know are still getting paid, some, not all. Many letter carriers are. I think TSA workers, who are contracted through the federal government are still getting paid -- if they weren't furloughed. Even tho furloughed employees might receive compensation once the budget is fixed. Congress has the authority, since many are forbidden from getting jobs elsewhere.

All those forced to continue working, like for example the secret service, judges, CDC, etc., and others, will retroactively once the budget is worked out.

14-10-2013, 02:42 PM
(14-10-2013 02:15 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  All i have is the stupid wikipedia page so can somebudy explain the shutdown more?

The federal government here can't agree on the budget. Federal employees get the shaft.

14-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I saw articles about protests. How serious is that?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....