Veterans Illegally Take Down Barracades to Monuments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: Veterans Illegally Take Down Barracades to Monuments
Damn vegetarians think they can do whatever they want. And isn't the government pretty much all salary, so this is like a paid vacation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2013, 03:39 PM
(14-10-2013 11:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I thought only soldiers were getting paid. Everyone else will only be paid after the shutdown.

Soldiers are getting paid. I think postal workers too are. I know the federal courts are open but the judges are going without pay for now and have let go unessential staff until the budget issue is fixed. I do know some clerks still receive a paycheck for now.

It's interesting because there's a restaurant in San Francisco called the Cliff House that technically sits on federal land but is operated completely independently from it.

The government ordered the restaurant closed. The Fed hasn't anything to do with the restaurant and even the insurance is paid for my the owners...It just sits on land given to the federal government as part of the parks service. The land isn't even leased to the restaurant, by the federal government either. The restaurant in one way or another stood long before the government owned the land so it was simply grandfathered into it...We're talking since the 1800s. The land wasn't owned by the parks department until 1980s.

They did comply for a little while, but recently we heard it reopened. They said it was stupid that they be closed....it's not like the federal government pays the chefs or anyone.

It's been a heck of a long time since I ate at the Cliff House. Didn't know that was federal land.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-10-2013, 03:49 PM
(14-10-2013 03:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 11:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Soldiers are getting paid. I think postal workers too are. I know the federal courts are open but the judges are going without pay for now and have let go unessential staff until the budget issue is fixed. I do know some clerks still receive a paycheck for now.

It's interesting because there's a restaurant in San Francisco called the Cliff House that technically sits on federal land but is operated completely independently from it.

The government ordered the restaurant closed. The Fed hasn't anything to do with the restaurant and even the insurance is paid for my the owners...It just sits on land given to the federal government as part of the parks service. The land isn't even leased to the restaurant, by the federal government either. The restaurant in one way or another stood long before the government owned the land so it was simply grandfathered into it...We're talking since the 1800s. The land wasn't owned by the parks department until 1980s.

They did comply for a little while, but recently we heard it reopened. They said it was stupid that they be closed....it's not like the federal government pays the chefs or anyone.

It's been a heck of a long time since I ate at the Cliff House. Didn't know that was federal land.

Yes, the whole Surto Bath ruins were given to the federal government in I want to say the very late 70s or the early 80s to avoid future building. The Cliff House was included in that. Also the LandsEnd area, and the site of Adolf Sutro's home (which is located across the highway) The forestry department built a cool,observatory along with pictures of the area.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-10-2013, 03:52 PM
(14-10-2013 03:20 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Damn vegetarians think they can do whatever they want. And isn't the government pretty much all salary, so this is like a paid vacation?

No, many have to work without pay (but will recieve back pay later)Those who aren't as important are furloughed and don't work, or unless congress does soemthing won't receive any pay...they'll just be told to return to work.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

14-10-2013, 11:19 PM
(14-10-2013 01:31 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  There was a loophole found to keep all staff considered "essential" on their regular pay schedule. Everyone else is just screwed, and I'm not sure how these politicians seem to think that eliminating that many jobs (even temporarily) will help the economy in any way. They're using the logic of 5 year olds arguing over toys.

I don't think it'd actually be as bad as what people are probably assuming it's going to be on the economy.
It's probably pretty rubbish right now (haven't seen how much the dollar has risen/dropped) , but eventually those that haven't been paid will get backpaid and so that money that would have otherwise been spread out over the course of the time the government is shutdown, will get lumped into the economy once everyone get's their backpay. And so in the long run it's probably not gonna be that bad.

What I wanna know is, do these people get compensated for loss of interest on that money? I mean sure, individually the interest on a couple weeks paychecks is very little BUT collectively it must be a shit load of money that is going to the government and not being distributed to the people who's money that's owed too.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
14-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Apparently it's not THAT unusual. The government had a shutdown when I was a kid too, but I was too young to remember it, or care. In '95 the government shutdown for a month.

15-10-2013, 04:23 AM
(14-10-2013 03:20 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Damn vegetarians ...
pretty much all salary...

I think you are thinking of:
[Image: Celery_cross_section.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-10-2013, 09:02 AM
(15-10-2013 04:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-10-2013 03:20 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Damn vegetarians ...
pretty much all salary...

I think you are thinking of:
[Image: Celery_cross_section.jpg]

quite so, i think...