• 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Video | UNCUT Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry debate
Thank you for posting this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I saw this whole debate once and have gone back for just Hitchens/Fry several times since. One of Hitchens best displays I think. What I'd love to find is the whole debate of Hitchens speech on free speech. I can't find anything other than his own remarks.

I don't suppose anyone has the whole debate?
28-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Stephen Fry's last arguments in his opening comments about the church getting rid of some wealth and concentrating on the poor is sort of what the church is doing now. I am curious as to what he thinks about the current pope and the changes.

And at the very end: the Change percentages are waaaay off.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
28-04-2013, 03:12 PM
(28-04-2013 01:16 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Stephen Fry's last arguments in his opening comments about the church getting rid of some wealth and concentrating on the poor is sort of what the church is doing now. I am curious as to what he thinks about the current pope and the changes.

Oh? The Vatican has given away all of its massive wealth has it? I would have thought that would have been bigger news, seeing all that gold given to buy food and medicine for the worlds poor.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
29-04-2013, 02:06 AM
I have difficulty with Archbishop Onaiyekan 's accent...

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
29-04-2013, 07:04 AM
(28-04-2013 03:12 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 01:16 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Stephen Fry's last arguments in his opening comments about the church getting rid of some wealth and concentrating on the poor is sort of what the church is doing now. I am curious as to what he thinks about the current pope and the changes.

Oh? The Vatican has given away all of its massive wealth has it? I would have thought that would have been bigger news, seeing all that gold given to buy food and medicine for the worlds poor.

I didn't say they gave away all wealth.
But the differences between the 2 popes

http://9gag.com/gag/6879887?#_=_

And especially:

http://9gag.com/gag/6985525

And the mission statment of the new one, to get rid of some wealth, goes into the right direction.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed!
18-11-2014, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 09:06 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(08-04-2013 10:29 AM)Woody68 Wrote:  Finally managed to find the FULL version of this amazing debate! Almost 2 hours long with all the Q&A session. The only version on YouTube that I can find which is complete!

Watch in awe as Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry demolish the apologetic catholics!

The Motion ~ "The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world". Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry, opposing the motion, comprehensively trounced Archbishop Onaiyekan (of Abuja, Nigeria) and Ann Widdecombe, who spoke for it.

This is me raising the dead. I was going to share the video, but since it's already here...

Anyway, I just finished Christopher and Stephen's opening statements and I'm in awe. I have never heard the Catholic Church so thoroughly, forcefully and eloquently taken to task.

That was a beautiful thing.

P.S. You won't miss much if you skip their opponents' parts. I had difficulty understanding the priest and Ann's voice makes my ears bleed.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post