Video game PTSD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Video game PTSD
Hey,
Question.
Can a video game cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or am I just going through shock ?
I played a video game called "Downfall" and I swear it just messes with your head so well I still feel like my head is spinning. I wonder if it's just shock or anything ?! Sad
I've played violent video games before , seen horror movies and read horror stories but this just tore me inside out.
Anything like this ever happen to you ?

The game in question :
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/recommende...1251161776

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
RE: Video game PTSD
I wouldn't think so but the looks of this game are low graphics so I'm not sure what the issue could be... maybe your just tired lol.
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
(03-05-2011 10:49 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I wouldn't think so but the looks of this game are low graphics so I'm not sure what the issue could be... maybe your just tired lol.

Mind you its not the gore. Its the actions your character does to advance. And the noir graphics just put you in that mood ... well I can't describe it in words. Something just struck a nerve I guess. Hasn't happened before so I don't know what to make of it.

03-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I think Brothers in Arms; Road to Hill 30 gave me PTSD.
That game made sure that the enemy behaved like humans and that you were made to care for the other men in your squad. You'd go through an area spending most of the time in the dirt huddled behind things barely keeping the extremely loud and brutal sounding weapons from killing you and the men under your command, shooting at an enemy which felt like people and not just human shaped targets, then at the end of it the guy who your character had been joking and pissing around with a while before just gets shot. Usually not cinematic, just the character gets shot, and that's it; everyone mourns in the short time allowed before the start of the next mission where you're back into the hellfire.

Ever since my first play through (I did the whole game in a day, somehow not dying once, though on highest difficulty *not usually that good at games*) I've had constant dreams involving close quarters gunfights and being stuck in foxholes with bullets bouncing around the rim just above my head.
I'm also frightened by loud noises, where I wasn't before. And the sound of aeroplanes flying overhead can make me panic.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I played about 28 hours straight of GTA 3 when it first came out, took a break long enough to drive to Arby's, saw a cop, and had to literally stop myself from swerving into him and stealing his car.

That kind of stuff fades after a few days though.

Two other game "effects" I've had:

I did suffer from serious withdrawal when I forced myself to stop playing WoW. I had to get drunk before I could force myself to delete both my accounts, then I kept staying awake at night just going "I'll just active ONE of the accounts and create a rogue... just for a few minutes, just to see if it's still as fun."

And also, I played through the entire campaign mode in Bulletstorm in one sitting... then took a hit of acid... and spent the next 8 hours stuck in a world where I had "electric whip" powers. I kept trying to "lash" things in my room. Now I can't play that game again.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not alone - thanks for being honest guys.
This game fucked with me most on one point. It's a point'n'click adventure and at one point you have to kill a cat to get a key from its stomach. I'm a cat owner and even now I have moments when I hold my cat and get a cold shiver if I see a sharp object while holding her. The game messed with me in a specific way.
In most horror games you're a regular joe running from zombies or aliens or brutally murdering enemies. Somehow I can stomach that. Still , the cat thing messed me up - bad.
I feel your pain Cetaceaphile , I honestly do.

I played BulletStorm in a few sittings so no immersion for me. Still Portal 2 go me thinking where on the street I could use portals. But BulletStorm was a fun fanatic adventure so I can't blame you.
Regarding WoW , remember when I started that thread with opinions about it ? I still haven't tried it since then. I've been mostly playing DoW 2, Adventure games and the occasional shooter.

04-05-2011, 03:05 AM
I was told I had PTSD after having the same few dreams over a 5 month period. I had joined the Army and was medically discharged before even making it to boot camp. For me it was traumatic but I thought my therapist was nuts. Then I realized for each of us a traumatic event can be defined very differently from one another. Video games can cause a traumatic event so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I played super mario bros once ever since then I've felt the need to collect coins eat mushrooms that make me big and jump on turtles. I've never been the same since.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Man up.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
06-05-2011, 11:38 PM
When I played games like crysis and farcry2, I began having kinda violent daydreams, my mind would wander and I would imagine killing people in a game, or not.
When I played minecraft (not long ago), I began imagining the world was blockish, like minecraft.

This is why I recently quit gaming. Now I don't spend a quarter of my day playing games, but all my time is still taken up.. =(

"A man who dares to waste one hour of his time has not discovered the value of life" - Charles darwin

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire