Vietnam War - Was the US right to fight there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 03:53 PM
RE: Vietnam War - Was the US right to fight there?
Indeed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Whether or not the US should've been in Vietnam is a matter decided now merely by hindsight. Back in 1964, none of the general US population had a clue about what was going on between the North and the South, but were still triggered [sic ] by the word "communist". They assumed that all the fear-mongering about "reds under the bed" was legitimate—on a global scale, regardless of its country of origin.

And Australia got sucked into it in 1965, due mainly to the fact that it was perceived—again by a largely ignorant population here—that our only protection from the purported "domino effect" lay with the US. I can still recall the "All the way with LBJ" cries when he fronted here in 1966 for example.

In a nutshell; no, the US should never have been in Vietnam, nor should the Aussies, including the nearly 600 that were killed there.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
09-10-2017, 04:39 PM
I'm going with the Muslim on this one.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2017, 04:41 PM
(09-10-2017 03:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  America was not alone. The real mistake was France wanting to continue colonial rule following WWII.

They were warned.

Then they dragged everyone else in and pissed off.

I think what is often neglected in these arguments is the events that led to it. There had been two world wars. The Berlin airlift and the wall. Korea, then Vietnam not long after.

People's nerves were on edge. Paranoia was rampant.

That entire century was a disaster. And we feel it's effects to this day.

Truman sent the first advisors there shortly after the end of world war 2, Ike sent more and still more with Kennedy...and everyone knew it was a lost cause. It was a quagmire before we sent a single boot on the ground and we knew it and did it anyway.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2017, 04:43 PM
(09-10-2017 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  You should have seen post-war Germany.

It's the mess that greets the loser.

Yeah, but also congress cut out a hunk of funding that was earmarked for the returning veterans and service related stress (PTSD).

But my point also was we treated the those who dodged the draft just as bad.

I have never understood that particular line of thought. John Kerry was right was throw his metals away and yet, decades later he was essentially flamed for doing it.

I really wish america would make up their mind.

My brothers became Canadian ciizens and have never come back. They love Canada and find it to be one of the more sane countries on this planet. You couldn't pay them to come and live in the US, especially after the last election.

They do come down to visit from time to time. After a week they're anxious to go back home.

They were told that they were the only brother team that doged the draft and went to Canada. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what a government official told them.

Also, until Jimmy Carter pardoned them two FBI agents would show up at our door every summer asking us when my brothers would be returning and that they had a warrant for their arrest. My mother laughed in their faces. She had this kinda Maude look to her (the old tv show) and could put her hand on her hip and give them a look that made them seem about 3 feet tall. It was the funniest thing.

One time when I was about 11, the FBI agents made their annual summer visit and I happened to be the only one home. I think my folks were at the store or something. Anyway, the FBI agent was pumping me for information about where my brothers lived in Canada and when they might be coming back. I must say, I was pretty good about not giving them any information. Partly because I was so young and stupid. But I kinda knew not to give out any details.

And as unbelievable as it sounds, the agents really did have on black suits, white button down shirts, black ties, and because it was summer, dark sunglasses. Oh....and they carried a black briefcase!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-10-2017, 04:49 PM
(09-10-2017 04:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Truman sent the first advisors there shortly after the end of world war 2, Ike sent more and still more with Kennedy...and everyone knew it was a lost cause. It was a quagmire before we sent a single boot on the ground and we knew it and did it anyway.

Yep. The entire thing was a mess.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-10-2017, 05:25 PM
I just got here and am going to go back and read the six pages...but just in case no one has yet said "no" I'm going to submit "no."

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
09-10-2017, 06:05 PM
(09-10-2017 04:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And as unbelievable as it sounds, the agents really did have on black suits, white button down shirts, black ties, and because it was summer, dark sunglasses. Oh....and they carried a black briefcase!

It's supposed to be intimidating.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-10-2017, 06:45 PM
I served in Vietnam for 2½ years. If I had known then what I know about the war now, I would have gone to Canada. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
09-10-2017, 07:04 PM
(09-10-2017 04:35 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Whether or not the US should've been in Vietnam is a matter decided now merely by hindsight. Back in 1964, none of the general US population had a clue about what was going on between the North and the South, but were still triggered [sic ] by the word "communist". They assumed that all the fear-mongering about "reds under the bed" was legitimate—on a global scale, regardless of its country of origin.

And Australia got sucked into it in 1965, due mainly to the fact that it was perceived—again by a largely ignorant population here—that our only protection from the purported "domino effect" lay with the US. I can still recall the "All the way with LBJ" cries when he fronted here in 1966 for example.

In a nutshell; no, the US should never have been in Vietnam, nor should the Aussies, including the nearly 600 that were killed there.

Not merely by hindsight. By 66 and 67 there were a lot of criticisms of the policy, and it was becoming clearer and clearer by the moment that a communist victory in SVN was not going to mean Hawaii was next to go. It would have taken balls as big as church bells by American leadership to "declare victory and pull out" but it could have been done. But in war, good money follows bad down the toilet. We are still kind of in Afghanistan, for some reason (The dead shall not have died in vain, goddammit!)

I would have thought Australia lost more than 600, that's interesting. With South Korea I think Australia made the biggest sacrifice in blood and treasure after the US.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post