Views on Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Views on Jesus
What are each of your views on Jesus?

Do you think he was really a man, a priest back around 1 A.D. that just happened to preach love for one another?

Do you think that he wasn't real to begin with? That he was a mythical creation of priests and monks, in order to serve a political purpose for that time?

My personal opinion is that he probably was a real person. He was influential (think John Lennon), but that his followers started making stories up as the generations folded over and over until we get what we have today in the New Testament. (read Kyle's response here: link)

In fact, using John Lennon as an example, imagine if his (John's) fans 'built up' his legend from now until 2000 years from now. How would history remember him? Would he be walking on water? Would he be healing the sick? Make the blind see again?

I look forward to your thoughts.
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 11:39 AM
RE: Views on Jesus
He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time.

EDIT: With a healthy dose of mythology added, too.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I have always suspected (simply speculation here) that Jesus was somewhat of a politician. Sort of a "green party" type for that era. He had a following that intentionally built him up to be the messiah to further their political agenda. Not nescessarily an organised political party, as in trying to vie for control of the government in place, but perhaps attempting to influence it at least. I'd say most if not all of whats in the bible is simply a result of people telling his tale as though he were the messiah, and telling it as though it were fact to gain more influence over a people who feared the government of the time, and longed for change. Basically religion using the weak as it always has. And so things snowball among the impressionable...

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I do think it's most likely that he was a real person. But past that, I really don't know. He could have been a charismatic cult leader with a messiah complex, he could have been a simple but somewhat radical teacher/rabbi, he could have been a power-hungry politician type. What we know of him now could be a mixture of other similar apocalyptic prophets or preachers from that time period.

I think he had a following, and there's a chance that something weird happened with his body after he was crucified (if that's what happened). Someone stole it, someone lost it, they threw it in a common grave, who knows. Rumors spread, imagination mixed with grief and superstition, and suddenly you've got a growing legend about a resurrected man who was a miracle worker floating around.

The problem is we just don't know who he was, if he was real at all. When I came to that realization, it began my journey to atheism.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
07-04-2010, 01:09 PM

I was going to start off this response by saying 'can you imagine if his body WAS found one day', but I risk going down the road of speculation.

Even if a body were found, unless there was undeniable proof that those bones were of 'Jesus', there would be no way to prove otherwise.

However, if the proof were undeniable, that would definitely extinguish the whole 'Jesus was God' theory that theists hold. I think that would inflict a huge amount of damage to Christianity, if not dissolve it completely. But, then again, I don't know if it would kill Christianity.

If you consider what Thomas Jefferson did with the bible (where he removed all claims of divinity and supernatural acts), I think people would still adhere to at least Jesus' purported moral teachings (if you can call most of what he said 'moral'). If not that, it would definitely shift Christian thinking in a new direction...almost like an awakening. Is this a good thing? Kinda. It would still provide a tool of divisiveness between Christians and non-Christians, which is part of the problem with tolerance to begin with. The religion would still persist, albeit with a LOT of explanation from all Christian denominations as to why the supernatural was believed up until that point.

Sorry for the long post...I had a lot on my mind that I needed to 'eject'. Smile
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM

We have no way of knowing. I can only observe the human tendency towards what seems to be "streamlined attribution"--that is, wise-sounding quotes with no known or well-known author often become attributed to one. Even in our information age, there are many examples: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

Dry bits of humor tend to become attributed to Mark Twain, while a great deal of poetry becomes attributed to Maya Angelo even when they directly contradict both her style and her general message. Even during a person's lifetime, sufficient fame is almost a guarantee that your name will become a magnet for spurious attribution. This essentially how I view this historical figure, of whom we have a great number of contradictory stories continuously compiled and edited in the centuries after his death. Such a public personality, or "street preacher" may or may not have existed, or may be an amalgam of several such individuals.
07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I think there was a "Jesus" of sorts, although he was probably just a guy who wasn't hugged enough, and liked to tell tall tales about himself. Considering that there are many similarities between him and lots of other prophets, he probably wasn't too original either.

All speculation from a high school student though.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
jesus was a carpenter who died 2000 years ago on a cross like million other people did, with a god complex which he had because he was told so from the day of his birth (like every other religous person). If he ever existed or not is not really important to me, but the important thing is, that he was a normal human who just f*cking died 2000 years ago like every other mortal human...
nothing more and nothing less
07-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I never bothered myself with the question if Jesus was a real person or not. Couldn't care less. Even if someone was to find proof that he really was a living-breathing-carbon-based person a long time ago, it wouldn't change a thing - he couldn't have been more than a mere human.
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM

(07-04-2010 11:39 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time.

Show some reliable proof of your statement.
(07-04-2010 03:35 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I think there was a "Jesus" of sorts, although he was probably just a guy who wasn't hugged enough, and liked to tell tall tales about himself. Considering that there are many similarities between him and lots of other prophets, he probably wasn't too original either.

Don't sell yourself short, you make a lot of sense and have sensibility, which is somewhat lacking around here.
(07-04-2010 05:01 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 11:39 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time.

Show some reliable proof of your statement.
(07-04-2010 03:35 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I think there was a "Jesus" of sorts, although he was probably just a guy who wasn't hugged enough, and liked to tell tall tales about himself. Considering that there are many similarities between him and lots of other prophets, he probably wasn't too original either.

Don't sell yourself short, you make a lot of sense and have sensibility, which is somewhat lacking around here.

My comment might have been your kiss of death on this site.