Views on Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
RE: Views on Jesus
(07-04-2010 05:01 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 11:39 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time.

EDIT: With a healthy dose of mythology added, too.

Show some reliable proof of your statement.

There were hundreds of would-be prophets then. I don't think it unreasonable that someone looking to build a religion would base their character - a prophet - off of real-life prophets.
It is, of course, entirely possible that he was one of the other things mentioned here: a loon with a god complex, a priest who got chosen as a martyr, or just someone who was posthumously made into the poster boy of a religion.
If you claim that he was something more, present your evidence.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 05:32 PM

(07-04-2010 05:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 11:39 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time.

There were hundreds of would-be prophets then. I don't think it unreasonable that someone looking to build a religion would base their character - a prophet - off of real-life prophets.
It is, of course, entirely possible that he was one of the other things mentioned here: a loon with a god complex, a priest who got chosen as a martyr, or just someone who was posthumously made into the poster boy of a religion.

This what you do every time, turn it to me, present YOUR evidence why you think "He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time." You made the claim for once back something up.
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 05:54 PM
(07-04-2010 05:32 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

This what you do every time, turn it to me

Because it is what the rules of logic state. It is not something that you - or I - can do anything about.

Quote:present YOUR evidence why you think "He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time." You made the claim for once back something up.

I just told you. There were prophets, holy men and preachers all over the place at that time. There is no evidence that a historical Jesus existed. As there was no historical Jesus, that means that he was fictional, and being a fictional prophet, it is likely that he was based off of prophets of the day.
If you wish to prove that there was a historical Jesus, then do so.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
07-04-2010, 05:55 PM

(07-04-2010 11:32 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  What are each of your views on Jesus?

Do you think he was really a man, a priest back around 1 A.D. that just happened to preach love for one another?

Do you think that he wasn't real to begin with? That he was a mythical creation of priests and monks, in order to serve a political purpose for that time?

My personal opinion is that he probably was a real person. He was influential (think John Lennon), but that his followers started making stories up as the generations folded over and over until we get what we have today in the New Testament. (read Kyle's response here: link)

In fact, using John Lennon as an example, imagine if his (John's) fans 'built up' his legend from now until 2000 years from now. How would history remember him? Would he be walking on water? Would he be healing the sick? Make the blind see again?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Super, you are free to make any comment you want on this site, the question is should you? I get you're an atheist and you don't spend a lot of time reading the Bible, and if that is true then you have no business commenting on the Bible. I think you said you were an English teacher, I know almost NOTHING about English, as you can tell from my writing, I know nothing about punctuation, I played mad libs with my kids not to long ago, and I didn't know what an adverb, adjective, transitive verb etc. was. What if I went on an English Teacher Blog and said "English is about the dumbest language on the planet, they can't even decide if "I" should come before "E" or not, or if 'Y" is a vowel, plural of moose is moose" If I made those comments on that site, what would you think? Same thing with your comment "but that his followers started making stories up as the generations folded over and over until we get what we have today in the New Testament". Or "In fact, using John Lennon as an example, imagine if his (John's) fans 'built up' his legend from now until 2000 years from now. How would history remember him? Would he be walking on water? Would he be healing the sick? Make the blind see again?" Those comments show how little you know about the subject, just like my comments about English show how little I know.
07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
(07-04-2010 05:55 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Super, you are free to make any comment you want on this site, the question is should you? I get you're an atheist and you don't spend a lot of time reading the Bible, and if that is true then you have no business commenting on the Bible. I think you said you were an English teacher, I know almost NOTHING about English, as you can tell from my writing, I know nothing about punctuation, I played mad libs with my kids not to long ago, and I didn't know what an adverb, adjective, transitive verb etc. was. What if I went on an English Teacher Blog and said "English is about the dumbest language on the planet, they can't even decide if "I" should come before "E" or not, or if 'Y" is a vowel, plural of moose is moose" If I made those comments on that site, what would you think? Same thing with your comment "but that his followers started making stories up as the generations folded over and over until we get what we have today in the New Testament". Or "In fact, using John Lennon as an example, imagine if his (John's) fans 'built up' his legend from now until 2000 years from now. How would history remember him? Would he be walking on water? Would he be healing the sick? Make the blind see again?" Those comments show how little you know about the subject, just like my comments about English show how little I know.

And you don't see the irony of posting on an atheist site?

07-04-2010, 06:02 PM

There is a lot of confusion about how he could be a man and god at the same time!? that can't be possible. It is more like being fire and water at the same time? I don't believe in miracles. If you allow yourself to accept miracles even a stupid (everyone) man can make you believe that black is white and black is white and can't complain...
07-04-2010, 06:07 PM

(07-04-2010 05:54 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 05:32 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

This what you do every time, turn it to me

Because it is what the rules of logic state. It is not something that you - or I - can do anything about.

Quote:present YOUR evidence why you think "He was probably an amalgamation of several "prophets" of the time." You made the claim for once back something up.

I just told you. There were prophets, holy men and preachers all over the place at that time. There is no evidence that a historical Jesus existed. As there was no historical Jesus, that means that he was fictional, and being a fictional prophet, it is likely that he was based off of prophets of the day.
If you wish to prove that there was a historical Jesus, then do so.

Nice dodge as always, because you say "I just told you. There were prophets, holy men and preachers all over the place at that time. There is no evidence that a historical Jesus existed. As there was no historical Jesus, that means that he was fictional, and being a fictional prophet, it is likely that he was based off of prophets of the day."

Your saying "I just told you" does not mean anything to me, unless you can show me your credentials on why I should take your word without question, you have said nothing.
07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
martinb59 Wrote:Your saying "I just told you" does not mean anything to me, unless you can show me your credentials on why I should take your word without question, you have said nothing.

What, you want evidence that there were would-be prophets during the late B.C. and early A.D. years? Or do you want evidence that there was no historical Jesus?

07-04-2010, 06:23 PM

(07-04-2010 05:56 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 05:55 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Super, you are free to make any comment you want on this site, the question is should you? I get you're an atheist and you don't spend a lot of time reading the Bible, and if that is true then you have no business commenting on the Bible. I think you said you were an English teacher, I know almost NOTHING about English, as you can tell from my writing, I know nothing about punctuation, I played mad libs with my kids not to long ago, and I didn't know what an adverb, adjective, transitive verb etc. was. What if I went on an English Teacher Blog and said "English is about the dumbest language on the planet, they can't even decide if "I" should come before "E" or not, or if 'Y" is a vowel, plural of moose is moose" If I made those comments on that site, what would you think? Same thing with your comment "but that his followers started making stories up as the generations folded over and over until we get what we have today in the New Testament". Or "In fact, using John Lennon as an example, imagine if his (John's) fans 'built up' his legend from now until 2000 years from now. How would history remember him? Would he be walking on water? Would he be healing the sick? Make the blind see again?" Those comments show how little you know about the subject, just like my comments about English show how little I know.

And you don't see the irony of posting on an atheist site?

As Super says "what is there to know about atheism?"
07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
...round and round and round she goes. Where she stops...

So many cats, so few good recipes.