Vindication... I think... Maybe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Vindication... I think... Maybe
Hey.

A while back I started a thread that discussed why I consider myself an Agnostic as separate from both Theism and Atheism. It all centred on a thought experiment by Schrödinger from the 1930's about a cat being simultaneously dead and alive until observed. The idea is called superposition.

Well it seems that not only is superposition possible, but it is the key to both teleportation and quantum computing. Who'd a thunk? I found this article by the CBC today.

To be perfectly honest, I'm no physicist. A lot of what was said in that article made me scratch my head. But I think I grasped the idea that in a quantum computer (and in this teleportation experiment) something can be both a one and a zero at the same time. It kind of puts Hamlet on his head by making the question “To be AND not to be”.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to say, "Haha, I was right. See! The Cliffs of Insanity!!!" The point of the original thread was simply to explain what I believe, not tell people what the true and inviolable nature of the universe was. I simply believe that God is like Schrödinger's cat. God exists inside a box that not only can we not see into, but one that we can never open; therefore, God simultaneously exists and does not exist in perpetuity. Since this meant that I could not logically believe in or not believe in God, I was neither a Theist nor an Atheist. I just thought that this article was a good support for my beliefs, not in the slam-dunk in yo face kinda way, but in that it shows that superposition isn't a crackpot theory, that things can in fact simultaneously be two things within this universe and that it actually has some very interesting real-world applications.

Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy the article.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post