Viocjit the Agnostic Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: Viocjit the Agnostic Christian
I think most (myself included) are confused by the simultaneous labels of agnostic (a belief that a god cannot be known if it exists) and Christian (a religion that claims god is not only knowable, but your personal source of salvation). These two views, as far as I can discern, are incompatible.

Based on your other responses, it seems to me that questioning christian may be a more suitable moniker, but I have no authority on such matters.

Front Yard Astronomy Blog / YouTube

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.”
-Ferdinand Magellan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 01:47 PM
(26-05-2013 01:30 PM)FYAstronomy Wrote:  I think most (myself included) are confused by the simultaneous labels of agnostic (a belief that a god cannot be known if it exists) and Christian (a religion that claims god is not only knowable, but your personal source of salvation). These two views, as far as I can discern, are incompatible.

Based on your other responses, it seems to me that questioning christian may be a more suitable moniker, but I have no authority on such matters.

This is a good question , what is the right therm to denominate myself ?
26-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Agnostic Christian is a meaningful combination if you take gnosticism as knowing or not knowing while theism as believing or not believing. It's a pretty common approach to the vocabulary, and should be read as "I believe in God and/or Christian doctrine but can't prove it's true, or if it turned out to be true it would not be completely life-altering".

... but if you do believe, why do you believe?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-05-2013, 05:00 PM
(26-05-2013 01:49 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Agnostic Christian is a meaningful combination if you take gnosticism as knowing or not knowing while theism as believing or not believing. It's a pretty common approach to the vocabulary, and should be read as "I believe in God and/or Christian doctrine but can't prove it's true, or if it turned out to be true it would not be completely life-altering".

... but if you do believe, why do you believe?

I doubt therefore I don't know really if I believe.
I know , I maybe said something of ridiculous.
This is difficult to explain.
26-05-2013, 05:09 PM
If you claim to not know if a deity or deities exists, and don't act as though you believe in said deity/ies, generally you are an Agnostic.

Or an agnostic atheist, depending on where you sit on your conception of a deities probability...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-05-2013, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't find the term "agnostic Christian" anymore troubling than I find "atheist Christian". I think you can follow the teachings and philosophy of the Christ without deifying Jesus or even mentioning God at all. Much the same as you can follow the noble eightfold path without deifying the Buddha. I've said before I think the traditional Christian Sects completely misinterpret the Red Letters and introduce a deity where there is no call for one.

Oh and welcome Frenchman! ... (apologies in advance for denigrating your country 'cause it's gonna happen Tongue )

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-05-2013, 12:25 PM
"Agnostic Christian" , I reknown that these words are an oxymoron.
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
27-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyway...welcome!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

28-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Echo the welcome.
30-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Welcome.

Wanted to say, though, that you're not an "Agnostic Christian". What you have defined is a misnomer.

An "Agnostic Christian" is a Christian who acknowledges that he could be wrong about his faith on the grounds of not being omniscient. An "Agnostic Christian" does not doubt Christianity.

You are a "Doubting Believer".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]