Violence is Golden

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: Violence is Golden
(27-01-2015 09:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  ......based on the fact that either you or someone who is known to support you has a bigger stick

That's dominance, not violence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-01-2015, 11:27 AM
(27-01-2015 11:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 09:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  ......based on the fact that either you or someone who is known to support you has a bigger stick

That's dominance, not violence.

Violence is the leverage introduced by the stick. Dominance is the result.

'Murican Canadian
27-01-2015, 12:15 PM
(27-01-2015 11:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's dominance, not violence.

Violence is the leverage introduced by the stick. Dominance is the result.

Leverage is not violence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-01-2015, 12:24 PM
(27-01-2015 12:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Violence is the leverage introduced by the stick. Dominance is the result.

While I agree that for the sake of debate it is indeed important to have universally accepted definitions to make sure we're actually debating the same thing, what we're doing here is playing word games without a point.

Call the end result dominance, call it leverage, call it whatever you want. The point of the stick is that if they don't do what you say they can be struck with it, and striking someone with it is an act of violence. Without the threat of that violence, there is no dominance and there is no leverage. And although violence may not be the only form of leverage, it is most definitely used as leverage.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
27-01-2015, 04:45 PM
"Being a pacifist does not mean being a pussy, son." - GrlyMan to GirlyBoy

(27-01-2015 10:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Statistically speaking my girlfriend or my mother are more likely to kill me than all of those dangerous animals combined Tongue

Yabut, what about the yak?

[Image: yak.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-01-2015, 04:45 PM
(27-01-2015 09:45 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Sounds very Lumi like.

Where you proclaim that any act of intentionally desiring someone to do something to your liking is an act of violence against them.

It's not about desiring, it's about requiring.

The threat of violence is always there to enforce the requirement; it logically must be.

Quote:And that all children are abused.

Don't go full Lumi.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-01-2015, 04:48 PM
(27-01-2015 12:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Violence is the leverage introduced by the stick. Dominance is the result.

It's about the threat of violence. The inevitability of violence for non-compliance.

27-01-2015, 04:50 PM
(27-01-2015 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Being a pacifist does not mean being a pussy, son." - GrlyMan to GirlyBoy

(27-01-2015 10:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Statistically speaking my girlfriend or my mother are more likely to kill me than all of those dangerous animals combined Tongue

27-01-2015, 09:58 PM
(27-01-2015 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Being a pacifist does not mean being a pussy, son." - GrlyMan to GirlyBoy

Yaks are for milking or cuddling with only, though not at the same time cause that's weird. They would never hurt anyone unless they thought you were grass or shrubs.

'Murican Canadian
27-01-2015, 10:15 PM
(27-01-2015 09:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

Yaks are for milking or cuddling with only, though not at the same time cause that's weird. They would never hurt anyone unless they thought you were grass or shrubs.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus