Violent video games make you violent?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Violent video games make you violent?
Oh yes I so made this thread.

Generally since this forum is home to people who seem to go by facts "atheist"
I figured I would get a nice answer from all you. Sooo... Do they? Can they cause increased aggression? I currently think this is BS and my parents believe it so all my Rated T games they bought me when I was 11 was taken away 4 years later because violence was in the white rating box.

I would like to send my parents a good 2 page article I wrote but I want to practically kill them with the massive amount of evidence against them. Assuming im right, but I am not certain if I am.

Also if it really is BS can I have an explanation on the why.
PS. Im 15 and like these things nice and simple (easier to explain in my words) Nothing to complicated Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: Violent video games make you violent?
some studies have shown that they are. others say they don't.

most of the studies that do were watching for an increase in agressiveness, not violence.

My current shrink says that it's bs my previous one said it's true. I thinks it's bs, but i don't have the creds to say that.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't think it creates violent personalities, but it attracts violent personalities.

Imagine you were forced to play a game about taming Ponies, and growing flowers. I doubt you'd feel (over time) a need to own a Pony, or take care of animals, or pluck flowers, or grow flowers.

Only people already leaning in that direction will play it.
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Hmmm, well, I don't have any stats or evidence, only personal experience of violent media (not games but movies- same thing, no?).

So, when I was in junior high (about 15 years ago), a friend and I watched a horror movie marathon. It was summer (schools out) and we watch two or three nightly for about 2 weeks. At about that time I was walking home when I started to see blood dripping from walls and pigeons who appeared to have no heads. I have no prior mental illness or psychosis so this freaked me right out. I cut myself off from any horror or gore and have only seen small doses at a time (years later). I haven't had this happen since but I drew the conclusion that the horror and gore movies messed with my mind. I can't stand the sight of blood, especially in television, now. So maybe for some it may manipulate the mind. Not sure. Do I think that it's completely bad? Not necessarily. However, I am a firm believer in balance in life, so I think being obsessed with a violent show or game might not be a good thing. A little bit, okay. If a little bit is a problem it is not the game but an underlying issue instead.
11-10-2012, 09:36 AM
There is a "Penn & Teller's Bullshit" episode about this, I would recommend giving it, as well as the other episodes a gander (unless you can't stand Penn & Teller). As a person who plays violent games and games as tame as Harvest Moon, I would have to say that violent video games *might* help people release their pent up aggression. Whether that's healthy or not is a question for a different time. I'd rather someone take it out on some pixels through a game than to someone in the real world.

That's not to say that some people might just be crazy enough to emulate some of that stuff in the real world, it is a distinct possibility. However, who's to say they wouldn't have done a similar act even if they were never exposed to a video game.

Now, as mentioned in P&T's Bullshit and I'll actually take it a step further, sports like American football are very aggressive; and people really get hurt or killed from them. Some players have committed violent acts, and even fans of sports (i'm looking at you football [soccer to us stupid Americans] fans) have acted violently because of a game.

Where is the line drawn? It's ok for people to slam into each other full force and cause real injuries and sometimes take that aggression outside of the game; but it's not ok to shoot zombies or go on a imaginary military mission to assassinate some figure, with the off chance that that person might be a psychopath?
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Seems to me that a stable mind in a person that has a clear concept of what's real and what's fantasy negates the thinking that violent video games increase aggression. It's the people that don't have good mental health or that are fuzzy about the line between what's real and what's not are the ones that go on shooting rampages and then blame games like Grand Theft Auto.

You also have cases of parents whose child does something crazy and they sure don't want to take the blame for poor parenting so they find the nearest video game or movie as the scapegoat.

Not that much different from the crap in my day when they nutcases became convinced that backward masking in rock and roll was creating a bunch of zombie devil worshippers set to kill the police and their parents.

And don't forget Tipper Gore...much more recent, who decided that music that wasn't totally benign and bubblegun pop was ruining the youth.

Each generation that forgets what it's like to be young, comes up with something or someone to blame for the kids that do bad things.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-10-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 12:12 PM by Anjele.)
I'd like to add that I sure wouldn't want to publicly declare that my child was so feeble minded as to not be able to think for themselve because of a game, movie, or music.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-10-2012, 11:52 AM
No. Absolutely no.

Every study that says "video games make people violent" is just confirmation bias and/or just misinterpreting their data. Some non-violent people play video games. Some don't. Some violent people play video games. Some don't. People with their own violent tendencies usually enjoy games that cater to those tendencies. Then maybe one of those guys goes out and rapes someone. Was it the video game, or was it that he was just a violent sociopath anyway? The people who support the idea that video games are the problem will automatically say "see, the video game made him do it".

I have seen a perfectly valid study that shows that pickles are responsible for almost 100% of all deaths. Nearly everyone who died in planes crashes had eaten one or more pickles in the days prior to the plane crash. Nearly everyone who died of heart attacks had eaten one or more pickles in the days prior to their heart attack. All 7 people on the Space Shuttle Challenger had eaten pickles in the days prior to launch. Etc. Obviously it was someone just goofing around, but if a person really wanted to strike out at pickles, really wanted to conduct such a survey and do the research and draw the conclusion that pickles cause nearly all deaths, then they can conduct their research in such a way that their conclusions will support their hatred of pickles.

That's mostly what the people do who conduct the research showing that video games cause people to be violent.

News flash.

People were violent before video games were invented. Murder, rape, muggings, beatings, and every kind of violence you can imagine have happened, well, since Cain slew Able. I bet Cain never played Grand Theft Auto on his XBox.

Just because a violent person played a violent video game before he went out and committed some actual violent crime doesn't mean the video game caused the crime. Just because a rooster crows right before the sun comes up doesn't mean the rooster caused the sun to come up.

What if that violent guy was playing Bejeweled before he went out and committed a violent crime? Did Bejeweled make him violent? Or then there's me, I love violent games, shooters, body parts and blood and brains flying around the screen, the gorier the better. I've never done anything violent ever.

The only possible real connection between violent games (or movies, or books, or toys, or whatever) and a person committing a real violent crime would be if that person were mentally defective. Someone who should be under psychological care, maybe institutionalized, maybe not, but such a person has a truly psychological break with distinguishing the difference between entertainment and reality. I'm sure that happens from time to time. But it has also happened to non-video-game-players, like Jack the Ripper, Son of Sam, Charles Manson, etc. - they had their own psychotic breaks without any video game influence whatsoever.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I love video games. The very structure, the way the player is involved and has to interact. The violent ones are fun too, when done well, but that is where it ends.

It is a virtual world with rules, and it is fun to test and use those rules, especially when they can be used in various ways to accomplish the same task. The animations are fun to watch, it is entertaining to see all the different motions and tasks that the developers put there just for the player.

However, once the controller leaves the hands of the player, they are no longer a player, but a human being. One who is responsible for their actions and the thoughts that lead up to them.

Video games are fun.
[+] 2 users Like Cordelle Taylor's post