Virginity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Virginity
"Valuing virginity, either through cultural or religious traditions, devalues women."

Agree?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
RE: Virginity
Yes. The existing double standard is misogynistic and harmful to the dignity and equal humanity of women.

No. While I believe that our sexuality is a normal and healthy part of our humanity the sexual act itself has been devalued by our culture. What is a beautiful and incredibly intate way to bond and share yourself with another human being is reduced to a casual experience of pleasure between two casual partners. And I don't think that's healthy.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Absotlutely. It is a ridiculous concept.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
(10-10-2013 09:14 AM)natachan Wrote:  the sexual act itself has been devalued by our culture.

Quite on the contrary, actually. Together with eating (and all it involves) sex is the most basic and common thing in the natural world. Pretty much all there is to life, actually - staying alive in order to pass on your genetic material. It hasn't been devalued by our culture - it has been elevated by our culture. All sex is in the natural word is a biological process that only serves one most basic (and paramount to life) purpose. Any subsequent meanings we have given to it, are derived entirely from "our culture".

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Wasn't virginity also pretty important in order be more certain of paternity? Also the reason women got/get stoned for adultery and not so much men. A woman is going to be sure a baby she delivers is hers, a man doesn't have that absolute assurance.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-10-2013, 09:38 AM
(10-10-2013 09:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 09:14 AM)natachan Wrote:  the sexual act itself has been devalued by our culture.

Quite on the contrary, actually. Together with eating (and all it involves) sex is the most basic and common thing in the natural world. Pretty much all there is to life, actually - staying alive in order to pass on your genetic material. It hasn't been devalued by our culture - it has been elevated by our culture. All sex is in the natural word is a biological process that only serves one most basic (and paramount to life) purpose. Any subsequent meanings we have given to it, are derived entirely from "our culture".

Primates use sex for many reasons.
One of it's primary uses is reproduction, but only one.
The meanings attached to it's use, are entirely individual.
I don't get to judge what meanings are useful for others.

(If someone wants to be a slut, it's no skin off my nose)
/Kidding

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

10-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I see a lot of sexual dysfunction regarding sexuality, culturally and religiously. If being untouched means pure, then having sex means you are contaminated. I find this thought process incredibly unhealthy and concerning.

I would argue that, in fact, valuing virginity puts girls and women at risk of violence, abuse, and assault by members of a society that believes a woman’s worth lies in her sexual behavior. violations of girls’ and women’s sexual and reproductive rights and health occur every day in the name of preserving and protecting girls’ virginity, delaying sexual activity, or controlling the circumstances under which girls and women lose their virginity. From forced child marriage, female genital cutting, and breast ironing to slut-shaming to the deliberate withholding of information on reproductive and sexual health, the emphasis on preserving virginity has pernicious consequences for girls in the West and beyond.

I notice that the most restrictive cultures and religions - like the Catholic Church - are absolutely obsessed with sex. Sex is a natural act, that is essential for genetic survival. It feels good, and our bodies reward ourselves with the "do it again hormones." It's a lot like food in that respect. The only people who are obsessed with food are the anorexic and the morbidly obese.

By placing a value on virginity, it creates not only a danger for women, but categorizes it into a have vs have not. Those who have, separate themselves by insisting that their sexual choices are the "right" choices, ergo anyone who doesn't make that same choice is the wrong one.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
10-10-2013, 09:47 AM
(10-10-2013 09:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Primates use sex for many reasons.

And their "reasons" are derived from their own culture or whatever you wanna call it (they're pretty evolved to actually have one). All I'm saying is there is nothing magical or sacred about sex. Whatever further significance we decide to attribute ( Laughat ) to it, is purely cultural (or species-based, if you will) and has nothing to do with the sexual act itself (which has been both glorified and denigrated to an absurd extent anyway).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM
As an ex-Catholic school girl, I can tell you there are these categories....Sluts - even someone who had sex one time before marriage but someone told. Liars - that keep a secret well so are thought to be virgin - usually with families influential enough to even hide abortions. Holy rollers - the ones you know are going to wait till marriage. The devout - potential nuns.

It was interesting to get a little older and then tend bar and watch the parents of my high school classmates as they got drunk and played grab-ass at the country club.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-10-2013, 12:19 PM
For those who say that virginity and chastity lead to more stable marriages, here is a fun article and rebuttals.

http://jezebel.com/5946349/8-reasons-pre...nd-society

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson