Virginity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Virginity
IITSS ALIIIIVE!

...instead of creating a new thread, I'm just gonna resurrect this one. I read this blogpost recently about saving virginity until marriage. It's pretty enlightening about the psychological damage done by religions in regards to sexual urges and the repression thereof.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/samantha-pugsl...h-i-hadnt/

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2014, 09:37 AM
(13-08-2014 09:13 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IITSS ALIIIIVE!

...instead of creating a new thread, I'm just gonna resurrect this one. I read this blogpost recently about saving virginity until marriage. It's pretty enlightening about the psychological damage done by religions in regards to sexual urges and the repression thereof.

I read that a few weeks ago. It still makes me SICK to my stomach. So does this one

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...ction.html

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
14-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Ugh, just horrific. I feel so sorry for these people.

I posted the first article to Facebook and got a couple responses saying the girl was focused too much on her reputation and not on pleasing god. Blaming her, essentially, because church teachings can never be wrong. I also got ""true Christianity" doesn't have an issue with sex" as if everything anyone's been force fed about virginity from their church isn't "the truth" from the bible. It's maddening!

Oh, another one was, if you have sex outside of marriage it's only a hollow shell of what real, married, sex is all about. Facepalm

14-08-2014, 07:48 AM
(14-08-2014 07:40 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  ...
what real, married, sex is all about. Facepalm

... about once every 7 years, if I remember correctly.

Drinking Beverage

(for me... not for her)

14-08-2014, 07:54 AM
(14-08-2014 07:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 07:40 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  ...
what real, married, sex is all about. Facepalm

... about once every 7 years, if I remember correctly.

Exactly as god intended, I'm sure. He does like 7s...

[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
14-08-2014, 08:16 AM
(13-08-2014 09:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 09:13 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IITSS ALIIIIVE!

I read that a few weeks ago. It still makes me SICK to my stomach. So does this one

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...ction.html

I had read the first article about "Waiting Until My Wedding Day" and felt for this woman. Christianity teaches us to 'save' ourselves until marriage they do not however teach youth how to cope with hormones and emotions or teach them of the naturalness of sex and relationships. Sex continues to be seen as something bad for the greater part and if we provide information or protection to our youth, that is continually exposed perception of sex via the mass amounts of media, we as a community should be prepared to help them through this with honest and compassionate responses. Condemning something that youth has yet to understand creates issues.

Either teach them or media and the church will, both of which are the extremes. Sexual tendencies, which are completely part of human nature, is a natural process of growing into adulthood. To place such credence in saving yourself and being pure does not prepare anyone for all of the emotional aspects of it. I feel for those who are either pushed in to Christian views to save themselves as it keeps them from knowing who they are or those who are exposed to medias perceptions of what is acceptable and seek sex as a avenue of acceptance.

Sex is part of a natural human experience. Hopefully we can teach our youth that too and not be afraid of who they are or to be who they are not by abusing it either.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post
14-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Making a big deal about sex or sexual history is such a silly part of our culture. It damages many people's sexual health IMO. Girls who try to preserve until marriage (ridiculous in an age where birth control exists). Guys who think their social status relies on getting some action.

I remember feeling so incredibly ashamed of myself as a 22 year old virgin. It was something I felt I had to hide from others who were not my good friends. I never lied about it or anything, just avoided the topic. I was afraid to go on dates because I thought the girls would judge me for being inexperienced.

American culture just has sexuality wrong. It's our unhealthy view of sexuality that probably leads to us having such a high number of teen pregnancies.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense...I just woke up. :/

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-08-2014, 08:55 AM
I am a big fan of a good sex education program. I'm also a fan of teaching kids to wait until they sure they are ready. There are a lot of big commitments and decisions that can come from being sexually active.
14-08-2014, 09:05 AM
(14-08-2014 08:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  ... It's our unhealthy view of sexuality that probably leads to us having such a high number of teen pregnancies.

This I agree. Either you abstain, which I feel comes with the misunderstanding how sex is a healthy part of our lives, or you give in to what is being projected upon you via media, peers, personal thoughts and children are born to teens that have not been provided an honest view of sex. I realize these are the extremes and there are others who have good representation of how to be open to talking about sex to younger generations. If kids are provided information, they will find other avenues for answers.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.