Virtue of patcience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Virtue of patcience
So picture this , you speak to a creationist who has no understanding of biology and physics , astronomy etc. and you try to lecture the on all these concepts. They are willing to learn but you are swamped with stuff to do .... what is your tipping point ?

I only ask because I am the creationist in above scenario.
Let me elaborate.

I took a job a few months ago , but it is waaaaaaay above my level of skills. I did intent on quitting because it just seemed impossible. However my manager asked me to try and stay for at least a year so I don't mess up my future chances.

So I'm in a situation where I have to do work and if i fail or don't have the knowledge , all my crap gets passed out to my team - and on my certain project said team is small. I can't look these people in the eye with a straight face and expect them to tolerate my mistakes but at the same time i hope they do and tolerate my stupidity until I get on my feet.
I don't know what to do , I'm used to people having patience with me to no end until l I get things right , and I try to do the same for people that don't understand things , but on the other hand , my mistakes affect other than myself and I can't knowingly fuck other people over without my conscience kicking my ass.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2011, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 05:30 PM by bemore.)
RE: Virtue of patcience
It sounds to me like your manager can recognise your abilities and has more faith and sees more potential then you give yourself credit for.

He has said stay for a year.......this is a long time........im guessing that there is a lot to learn and he is aware of this.

Im sure if he thought you were not up to the job he would of let you resign.

As with letting people down........im like you, I have pride in what I do and I dont want to be a burden......yet parodoxically I would help somebody in the same situation as myself with not a second thought Smile

Put more faith within yourself........and your allready halfway there Smile

Good luck.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I appreciate the thought bemore , I just find it hard realizing I'm not who I thought i would be....
I always imagined myself more competent , and more knowledgeable. I guess this is a moment in life were I must learn humility and earn the respect of my peers professionally speaking.

As for putting more "faith" in myself - I'm very scared of this. I almost went of the rails with self help books and now I want to be very careful what I take for fact and what I put my faith in.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
20-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Have you come clean with the team?
They'll know anyway, but if you try to cover up what you don't know, people think less of you than if you tell them up front, "This is difficult for me; i'm not really on top of it" and ask for co-operation. Most people are happy to share their expertise, especially if it's appreciated, and genuine team-work tends to accomplish more than one guy bossing the others around.
Meanwhile, of course, you're paying attention, boning up at home on whatever theory is needed, becoming more competent every day.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
27-09-2011, 11:08 AM
This might be a stupid moment on my part but....
So you have to teach the stated subjects to these people. Are you a teacher or something because that's a lot of stuff you have to cover. I could possibly help with the biology part but as for physics and astrology.....sorry.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!