Virus query?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Virus query?
(25-11-2014 08:00 AM)Free Wrote:  Also, the reason you can download rkill with the disguised name of iExplore.exe is because iExplore.exe is the same name for Internet Explorer, and viruses think it is Internet Explorer that you are launching and will not try to stop it. Basically, the virus can't see rkill coming when it's disguised as Internet Explorer.

It's a technique I have also used with other things. I change the name to fool a virus.

[Image: 1393621464748.jpg?format=1000w]

But seriously thank you, this thread just got a place in my bookmarks. I'll..uh... I'll keep it separate from some of the others.....out of ..respect.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2014, 11:15 AM
(26-11-2014 09:46 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 08:00 AM)Free Wrote:  Also, the reason you can download rkill with the disguised name of iExplore.exe is because iExplore.exe is the same name for Internet Explorer, and viruses think it is Internet Explorer that you are launching and will not try to stop it. Basically, the virus can't see rkill coming when it's disguised as Internet Explorer.

It's a technique I have also used with other things. I change the name to fool a virus.

[Image: 1393621464748.jpg?format=1000w]

But seriously thank you, this thread just got a place in my bookmarks. I'll..uh... I'll keep it separate from some of the others.....out of ..respect.

No problem.

This is just one method I use. Editing the Windows registry is a bit more advanced, but sometimes necessary to remove persistent infections such as browser hijackers.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
27-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Use a separate machine or vm when you decide to travel into uncharted or dubious internet locals. If you get a virus on that vm, a) it can't get to your private data, and b) you can simply re-image the machine to a last known good state.

It is unlikely, even with the "best" software, to remove all viruses from a machine, once infected. If your primary machine is infected, I suggest wiping it clean and reinstalling your OS.

"Spirituality was born to help humans with their mere existence." - i made it up.
01-12-2014, 01:47 PM
..I'm still getting the avast warning when I try and access a very well established forum.I thought the virus people found the bug, then killed it,if you were using their system. Have stopped trying, just to be on the safe side.

"The need to be right; the sign of a vulgar mind" Albert Camus.
01-12-2014, 02:56 PM
(01-12-2014 01:47 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  ..I'm still getting the avast warning when I try and access a very well established forum.I thought the virus people found the bug, then killed it,if you were using their system. Have stopped trying, just to be on the safe side.

The warning could very easily be related to whatever ads are being displayed on that website. Many popular websites that display ads have no idea of the content of the ads they are displaying. The website itself may be a rather popular website, and if so, it would qualify as being worthy of advertiser support.

Some ads link to websites known to distribute malware, adware, spyware, etc. If that is the case, your avast software may be detecting the inline ads on the website.

It doesn't mean the website itself is some kind of infection, but only the adverts it is displaying.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
[+] 2 users Like Free's post