Visit from the Pastor and Elder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Visit from the Pastor and Elder
So my pastor and elder came to visit today at home. After they passed through the formalities we started talking about my absence and spiritual status.

They said that I had made a commitment in my kids' baptism and that I should honor that covenant and attend church. They said that I shouldn't stay away from people that care about me.

My wife had asked me to be nice and not confrontational. I tried but we got into an argument about women's rights according to the Torah. They disagreed that women are considered property but rather were under the authority of men. My wife (who wants to believe) was bought over with that response. I pointed out that they had just made a semantic issue. They try to answer to that but I can't remember their answer, it was quite lame. They said that at that time women weren't considered property and that I was assuming this. I know they're wrong but I didn't want to make a further issue of it. Even after this they still want me to go to church. I don't want to argue with people or listen to a bunch of anti science, evolution denying nonsense for an hour and a half. Plus hauling the family to the church is a hassle.

Thanks for reading my rant.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like djkamilo's post
04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Visit from the Pastor and Elder
Dont go.

If some priest would turn up at my house and insist that I should go to church I would call the police.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
04-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah, it was downright underhanded to bring up the commitment made at your children's baptism. You realized your commitment to religion wasn't healthy for you (or most people), I think that was a good commitment to break. What kind of a society would we be if we kept promises made that were detrimental to the well-being of us and our children?

Of course you couldn't bring this up without being confrontational, so I think you handled it well. Don't let them bully you. They have no power over you. You gotta do what's best for your family Thumbsup
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks Smercury and TGAC.

I brought up the fact that I'm not going to indoctrinate my kids (specially in the tender age from 3-6 years) and let them decide for themselves and the pastor said "yeah I also want my kids to learn as much as they can about evolution even though I don't believe in it". I kept it to myself but the guy home schools the kids and for science he does a creationist curriculum. I don't think he or the kids know what evolution actually teaches but whatever.

I really don't want to go. I have things to take care of here at home specially since my wife helps very little around the house. She can go if she wants.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
04-01-2014, 09:29 PM
It's especially, not specially. Don't make me come to your house with your grade school English teacher and threaten you! Wink

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
(04-01-2014 09:25 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Thanks Smercury and TGAC.

I brought up the fact that I'm not going to indoctrinate my kids (specially in the tender age from 3-6 years) and let them decide for themselves and the pastor said "yeah I also want my kids to learn as much as they can about evolution even though I don't believe in it". I kept it to myself but the guy home schools the kids and for science he does a creationist curriculum. I don't think he or the kids know what evolution actually teaches but whatever.

Next time he says that, rub it under his nose that he actualy wants his kids to know his version of evolution.

Just like a neo nazi parent would teach his or her children his or her version of the holocaust.

Tell him that in Germany homeschooling is outlawed because of the potential indoctrination it can cause for children and that parents who break that law face up to 2 years in prison.

A child is impressionable and what it is tought in early childhood will be reflected in his or her actions throughout hir or her life.

And a child that grows up having no trust in education will end up in some swamp in Mississipi married to a cousin and you as a responsible parent will not want that to happen.

Quote:I really don't want to go. I have things to take care of here at home specially since my wife helps very little around the house. She can go if she wants.

And there is nothing there for you to get.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
(04-01-2014 09:25 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Thanks Smercury and TGAC.

I really don't want to go. I have things to take care of here at home specially since my wife helps very little around the house. She can go if she wants.

If you don't want to go then don't go. Pastors and church elders have no real authority in your life. This is a great time to make a point to your children that it is important in life to honor your commitments, and it is equally important to recognize when past commitments are unhealthy. If you don't think church is the very best choice for you or your children then don't go. Good luck, love.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
(04-01-2014 09:29 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's especially, not specially. Don't make me come to your house with your grade school English teacher and threaten you! Wink

Haha I wouldn't have one I didn't have English in grade school in my home country. ESL here. Thanks for the correction Wink

[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Lol! Way to stand up for yourself!

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks L&I. I found the exchange to be as dishonest as some theists here in the forum. I'm not walking myself to a theist forum of sorts to have to deal with the same dishonest arguments.

[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post