Visiting Churches

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 11:36 AM
RE: Visiting Churches
(27-03-2016 03:24 AM)churchmouse Wrote:  I love visiting churches because of their beauty and history...but that's the only reason. Does anyone else share this interest?

Yeah, I'm totally guilty of that. Especially the old Catholic Churches.

One of my favorites is St Peter and Paul in San Francisco. Anytime I'm in north beach I try to stop in. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Visiting Churches
I can enjoy them and other places of worship for their architecture. I want to visit St Patrick's Cathedral because I had family who served there.
27-03-2016, 01:07 PM
I think the "real thing" can be interesting, (like Baroque churches that really were built during that time, REAL Gothic churches), the later imitations are pretty fakey, except the English have figured out how to make smaller ("Gothic-looking") churches. St. Peter's in Rome is interesting for many reasons ... a space that's intended to overwhelm people. I'm afraid it does that, too often. I'd rather go sit outside in Rome and drink, and watch. On a tour once in the Vatican, I asked the guide where the Renaissance pope's children were buried. Him no likey me no mores. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Churches?.... Churches? I don't need no stinking churches. Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-03-2016, 01:39 PM
(27-03-2016 01:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Churches?.... Churches? I don't need no stinking churches. Evil_monster

I look forward to when they will all be museums and concert halls.
Speaking of "stinkin' " I do like some of the incenses though.
Some are SO much better than others.
In fact ... that's a topic I should investigate. Incense. When I used to sub as an organist, I liked the incense. Consider

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Churches absolutely make my skin crawl. The sole exception that I've experienced is the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel where I was too distracted by the art and architecture to worry about the presence of Jesus stinking up the place.
27-03-2016, 02:33 PM
I visited the cologne cathedral twice yet and its really awe inspiring. Not awe for god or whatnot, but for man and what he can do if properly motivated.

The facade has the size of a football field and the spires tower 160m (500ft) above you. When you look up you can hardly see them. You can stand in front of the facade for half an hour and look at the ornaments and figurines, it never ends.

Then you climb up one tower. Almost 800 steps, it took me almost half an hour with some breaks in between. Otherwise you would wind up sweating like a pig when you reach the top. Once on top of the tower at 100m, you have still a giant spire towering 50m above you. Its mind blowing.

Back down on the ground and once inside you realize the ceiling hangs like 30m on top of you covering the huge space of the interior. Giant coloured glass windows, that partially date back to the medieval times. When you have sunlight/daylight shining in the inside its really unbelievable.

Then you go down, to the *basement* so to speak and realize, this 200.000t giant is placed on top of the ruins of the roman city wall. They have a museum there, with roman exhibits as well as german ones, because it looks like some german tribes buried their dead there as well. Precious golden and silver treasures, bishops´ rings with emeralds, the craftsmanship and beauty.....i have no words.

This whole thing is so impressive and intimdating, but i admire the most, how the people back then did all this.
27-03-2016, 04:04 PM
(27-03-2016 02:29 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Churches absolutely make my skin crawl. The sole exception that I've experienced is the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel where I was too distracted by the art and architecture to worry about the presence of Jesus stinking up the place.

I'm with you. I've been in a few churches and I find them very sad, depressing places. There's a statue of a very peculiar skinny guy hanging on a stick in a diaper who seems to be centrally located on a stage in the front. People sit in chairs and look at this guy on the stick and say a bunch of stuff to him even though he's been dead for over 2000 years. Eeeewwwwww.

It's very, very weird stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-03-2016, 04:33 PM
I grew up in a small town where there is a magnificent Catholic Basilica. It is quite ornate with paintings and carvings and stained glass that is (will perhaps a bit much) amazing. The structure itself is quite the eye-cathcher. The smaller towns around each had Catholic churches with similar, though simpler, artwork.

I don't seek churches out but I do appreciate that there is beauty in many of them.

Here's a link to the church I attended. http://xavierbasilica.com/

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post