Visiting a Buddhist Temple this Saturday

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Visiting a Buddhist Temple this Saturday
After my first meeting with a local group of Freethinkers and Secular Humanists. I discovered they plan on taking a field trip to a Buddhist temple this Saturday!

I know nothing about them or what places like that are like, so I think it will be a lot of fun. Hopefully they don't have a thing against taking pictures of stuff, because I am taking my camera with me.

It will be a good educational trip I think.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: Visiting a Buddhist Temple this Saturday
The temples I've been to are really nice. Some let you take pictures, definitely of the outside, but sometimes there are restrictions about taking pictures inside.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-10-2014, 09:19 PM
That sounds like fun. I got a Buddhist Temple and a Hindu Temple in walking distance. Not sure why I haven't gone sightseeing yet. Thumbsup

#sigh
24-10-2014, 05:46 AM
What kind of buddhism is practiced there? A friend of my mother-in-law is a buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition. She makes a fine cup of spiced tea.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-10-2014, 12:33 PM
That's sounds interesting. How do you know in advance if the Buddhist Temple is the worshiping god type of Buddhist Temple or not. Or is the belief in god up to each individual Buddhist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Cool. The one I've been in always seems to be in a "fixer upper" state so, I've not seen much elaborate decor except in photos.

I like the typical Buddhist imagery of the serene Buddha dude just doing the tranquility thing. It's nice. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I visited a Hindu temple ISKCON in India a couple of weeks ago while traveling for business. Since I had no skin in the game regarding beliefs, it was an enjoyable cultural experience much like visiting a museum or ruins. Watching the attendees' observances was interesting as well. I think I gained some religious and cultural literacy as a result, and I was not bothered by the woo factor.
24-10-2014, 04:20 PM
(24-10-2014 12:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's sounds interesting. How do you know in advance if the Buddhist Temple is the worshiping god type of Buddhist Temple or not. Or is the belief in god up to each individual Buddhist.

My take on it would be that if they call it a temple, they're worshipping something. Atheistic Buddhists don't need no steenking temple!
24-10-2014, 04:52 PM
(24-10-2014 04:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 12:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's sounds interesting. How do you know in advance if the Buddhist Temple is the worshiping god type of Buddhist Temple or not. Or is the belief in god up to each individual Buddhist.

My take on it would be that if they call it a temple, they're worshipping something. Atheistic Buddhists don't need no steenking temple!

Yeah, that's what I would guess, but I wonder if some Buddhists might go to a temple just for the ceremonial aspect of it. Or even the visuals. You know, the incense and candles and flowers and all the bright colors, yet they're still an atheistic Buddhist.

Just a thought.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-10-2014, 09:57 PM
(24-10-2014 05:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  What kind of buddhism is practiced there? A friend of my mother-in-law is a buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition. She makes a fine cup of spiced tea.

No idea, I know nothing about Buddhism. If they have tea, I will definitely have to try some.

I don't know. I know nothing of the place we are going to.

I will inform you all "with pictures" when I get back from it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ