Poll: Is megadosing on vitamins good or bad?
It's good!
It's bad!
I don't know....
Other
[Show Results]

Vitamins and Megadosing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2016, 01:11 PM
RE: Vitamins and Megadosing
I regularly overdose on vitamin A because I find orange skin trendy.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Other... Because not all vitamins are equal. Some are safe to megadose, but most, probably not.
01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
I take Vit D and magnesium because I have very low levels of these two vitamins. My doc tested my blood levels so I wasn't just guessing on how much to take.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-04-2016, 03:19 PM
First of all it's important to distinguish between simple vitamin supplements and megadosing. Supplements are in the neighborhood of the Recommended Dietary Allowance and can be handy for people who have defficencies or have otherwise unhealthy diets. Megadosing is commonly tens to thousands of times the RDA, depending on the vitamin and is useless or worse.

At best it's damage by distraction. A drain on your pocketbook that might keep you from taking actual medication.

Megadosing on vitamins has been shown to have a host of nasty little effects including interfering with the uptake of other vitamins and nutrients, production of toxic metabolic breakdown products and increased risk of kidney stones, just to name a few.

The CARET study was discontinued early when initial findings showed that smokers who megadose on beta-carotene have an increased risk of lung cancer. This occurs because anti-oxidants normally work together to passivate free radicals. Without similar levels of other anti-oxidants, the vitamin A that is activated by free radicals has nothing to reduce its chemical potential and just goes and chews on your lung tissue, doing more damage than the tar alone can manage.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Is your GF religious, and swallowed a megadose of BS from her shaman of choice? As has been mentioned, the single unifying factor for atheists is lack of a belief in a god. From there, you can herd all the cats you want. In general, my experience with atheists is that they question everything. How would a skeptical attitude like that (mine, in fact) lead to over consumption of anything?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-04-2016, 09:52 PM
I take a fairly large dose of Vitamin D (3000-4000 IU daily, with a larger dose in the dead of winter) but otherwise am wary of large doses of supplements. I know I could just make Vitamin D by walking around outside for a while, but even in the summer I tend to wear long pants and a hat and only get sun exposure from T-shirt sleeve to fingertips.

Interestingly, just yesterday I was pondering the "Life Extension" craze that started when the book of the same name came out in '85. Even then I thought some of the recommended doses were a bit over the top (to put it mildly...)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
12-04-2016, 03:04 AM
(01-04-2016 01:46 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So my girlfriend claimed that the majority atheists believe megadosing (overdosing, taking large quantities of) vitamins is a good thing. I said really, how many atheists do you know of who believe this? And she said well, how many atheists do you know of who don't believe it's a good thing? And I said, well, let me ask!

So, what's your opinion as an Atheist on megadosing and vitamins: good or bad? We need data here people! Poll is above, and, go!

overdosing anything is bad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kyx's post
12-04-2016, 09:41 AM
(11-04-2016 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I take a fairly large dose of Vitamin D (3000-4000 IU daily, with a larger dose in the dead of winter) [...]

I take a daily Vitamin D3 supplement too, but you need to take a combined calcium supplement as well in order to fully metabolise the D. I take these...
4,000IU is a massive dose.
Did your MD recommend that?
I'm only taking 500IU.
[Image: 150.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-04-2016, 10:06 AM
(12-04-2016 09:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I take a fairly large dose of Vitamin D (3000-4000 IU daily, with a larger dose in the dead of winter) [...]

I take a daily Vitamin D3 supplement too, but you need to take a combined calcium supplement as well in order to fully metabolise the D. I take these...
4,000IU is a massive dose.
Did your MD recommend that?
I'm only taking 500IU.
[Image: 150.jpg]

I also take 3000-4000, as my body gobbles up the D like nobody's business. If I don't get the big D every day, I basically feel like I'm dying. I get painful cramps and my fasciculations increase in frequency and intensity. Of course... My 3000+ was doctor recommended, but from what I've read, most people should be getting much more D than they currently do. I love the feeling of big D inside me...
12-04-2016, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 10:46 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-04-2016 01:46 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So my girlfriend claimed that the majority atheists believe megadosing (overdosing, taking large quantities of) vitamins is a good thing. I said really, how many atheists do you know of who believe this? And she said well, how many atheists do you know of who don't believe it's a good thing? And I said, well, let me ask!

So, what's your opinion as an Atheist on megadosing and vitamins: good or bad? We need data here people! Poll is above, and, go!

It's a really really bad thing. The fat soluble ones can build up to toxic levels. The water soluble ones just get flushed out ... and you're wasting your money.
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/fatsolub...-9748.html

In general, people don't need any vitamin supplements, if you eat well. The thing some people may be missing, more likely, are trace minerals, which are needed to make the enzymes that help make the immunoglobulin's. My sister is an immuno-chemist. She takes a trace element supplement .. and since she started that, has never once been sick. Me, ... I'm perfect the way I am. Tongue
Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.