Poll: Is megadosing on vitamins good or bad?
It's good!
It's bad!
I don't know....
Other
[Show Results]

Vitamins and Megadosing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 06:15 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Vitamins and Megadosing
(01-04-2016 11:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  If beer counts as a vitamin, then yeah.

You know, beer saved many lives in the cholera outbreak in London, in the 1800's.
Big Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad...a_outbreak
It played a pivotal role in modern sanitation systems.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Some beers were designed to provide nutrition - and monks drank them during lent. Must have been a merry time Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Vitamins and Megadosing
(12-04-2016 10:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  If beer counts as a vitamin, then yeah.

You know, beer saved many lives in the cholera outbreak in London, in the 1800's.
Big Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad...a_outbreak
It played a pivotal role in modern sanitization systems.

I'm always sure to have my five a day.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 09:11 PM by Astreja.)
(12-04-2016 09:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I take a daily Vitamin D3 supplement too, but you need to take a combined calcium supplement as well in order to fully metabolise the D.

I consume a moderate amount of calcium-rich foods, and on occasion I have taken supplemental calcium.

Quote:4,000IU is a massive dose. Did your MD recommend that?

No, I'm doing this on My own initiative. Many of the doctors I work for regularly prescribe a minimum of 1000 IU, and occasionally higher doses for things like elevated parathyroid or multiple sclerosis. My brother (a geneticist/microbiologist/immunologist) regularly takes 2000 IU and swears by it. I'm in an area that gets considerably less sunlight than where he lives, with sufficiently cold winters that we get very little sun exposure.

I misspoke when typing in the numbers on the original post: 4000 is very occasional, usually only for a week or two in the darker part of December/early January. 3000 in the winter and 2000 for the rest of the year is more common. I may go down to 1000 if I've been spending a lot of time working outside in warm weather.

I was thinking of asking My doctor to do a Vitamin D level next time I'm in for a checkup and bloodwork, to see what the serum level is and whether it needs to go up or down.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
13-04-2016, 10:06 AM
(12-04-2016 09:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I take a fairly large dose of Vitamin D (3000-4000 IU daily, with a larger dose in the dead of winter) [...]

I take a daily Vitamin D3 supplement too, but you need to take a combined calcium supplement as well in order to fully metabolise the D. I take these...
4,000IU is a massive dose.
Did your MD recommend that?
I'm only taking 500IU.
[Image: 150.jpg]

I was given a blood test for Vit D which was found to be woefully low so I started taking 2000IU with the accompanied Calcium, was retested and it brought it up to par. I use sunscreen every day (skin cancer runs in the family) so I probably don't get much from the sun and I also live in a sunless area of the US.

It's good to have your blood tested for these things otherwise one might be overdosing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-04-2016, 12:25 PM
(13-04-2016 10:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-04-2016 09:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I take a daily Vitamin D3 supplement too, but you need to take a combined calcium supplement as well in order to fully metabolise the D. I take these...
4,000IU is a massive dose.
Did your MD recommend that?
I'm only taking 500IU.
[Image: 150.jpg]

I was given a blood test for Vit D which was found to be woefully low so I started taking 2000IU with the accompanied Calcium, was retested and it brought it up to par. I use sunscreen every day (skin cancer runs in the family) so I probably don't get much from the sun and I also live in a sunless area of the US.

It's good to have your blood tested for these things otherwise one might be overdosing.

Yeah, 4000 isn't as ridiculously high as some people think. I noticed a few studies that actually suggest the daily intake should be multiple times what is now recommended. (No I don't have the links)

I mean, a fair skinned person standing in a tank and shorts for10 minutes of midday sun, can produce upwards of 10,000iu
13-04-2016, 05:25 PM
(13-04-2016 12:25 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 10:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was given a blood test for Vit D which was found to be woefully low so I started taking 2000IU with the accompanied Calcium, was retested and it brought it up to par. I use sunscreen every day (skin cancer runs in the family) so I probably don't get much from the sun and I also live in a sunless area of the US.

Yeah, 4000 isn't as ridiculously high as some people think. I noticed a few studies that actually suggest the daily intake should be multiple times what is now recommended. (No I don't have the links)

I mean, a fair skinned person standing in a tank and shorts for10 minutes of midday sun, can produce upwards of 10,000iu

For D2 50,000 IU once a week is the usual dose for a scrip from a doc. D3 has greater bioavailability so you can get by with less. I take 5,000 IU of D3 daily because I am a mushroom. Vitamin D is one of those one's you want to get a blood test for regularly because its mortality curve is J-shaped. Too little, not good. Too much, really really not good.

#sigh