Vocabulary of theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Vocabulary of theists
Reading something written by a theist can send me scrambling for my dictionary. Words like hermeneutics (are we discussing religion or the results of my latest blood test?), epistomology (do I have to pee in a cup?), eschatology, patristics (call an exterminator?), etc, etc, etc.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
12-06-2018, 10:39 PM
RE: Vocabulary of theists
(12-06-2018 10:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  Reading something written by a theist can send me scrambling for my dictionary. Words like hermeneutics (are we discussing religion or the results of my latest blood test?), epistomology (do I have to pee in a cup?), eschatology, patristics (call an exterminator?), etc, etc, etc.

Sort of like having to learn the lingo to understand what the astrologers are saying. Or the alchemists.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
12-06-2018, 10:46 PM
(12-06-2018 10:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  Reading something written by a theist can send me scrambling for my dictionary. Words like hermeneutics (are we discussing religion or the results of my latest blood test?), epistomology (do I have to pee in a cup?), eschatology, patristics (call an exterminator?), etc, etc, etc.

Hermaneutics : the study of Hermans, especially Herman Munster
Epistomology : the study of the pee in the cup
Eschatology : the study of scatology

You're welcome.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2018, 11:24 PM
A couple more:

Theology: The study of the history of ignorance.

Apologetics: Never having to say you're sorry.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
13-06-2018, 12:29 AM

I didn't know any of those words. I had to Google all of them.

My strategy of ignoring my problems until they disappear never seems to work out for me. ...I'll try to get around to dealing with that in the near future.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-06-2018, 12:40 AM
(13-06-2018 12:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

I didn't know any of those words. I had to Google all of them.

So perhaps you aren't really theist? Consider

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-06-2018, 01:46 AM
(13-06-2018 12:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 12:29 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I didn't know any of those words. I had to Google all of them.

So perhaps you aren't really theist? Consider

She's a Jew, fool, of course she's not a theist.

#sigh
13-06-2018, 01:54 AM
(13-06-2018 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 12:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  So perhaps you aren't really theist? Consider

She's a Jew, fool, of course she's not a theist.

She's a Jew indeed, fool, so obviously she's a theist.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-06-2018, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 02:23 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-06-2018 01:54 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  She's a Jew, fool, of course she's not a theist.

She's a Jew indeed, fool, so obviously she's a theist.

I am not sure you and I have been talking to the same Jews. Tongue

Do all Poles suffer from the same lack of satirical acuity, or is it just you? .... It's the lack of sunlight isn't it? They got vitamins you can take for that now. ... Big Grin

#sigh
13-06-2018, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 02:29 AM by Szuchow.)
(13-06-2018 02:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 01:54 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  She's a Jew indeed, fool, so obviously she's a theist.

I am not sure you and I have been talking to the same Jews. Tongue

Considering that in the 2011 Polish census, 7,353 Polish citizens declared their nationality as "Jewish" I highly doubt that I ever talked to a Jew.

(13-06-2018 02:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do all Poles suffer from the same lack of satirical acuity, or is it just you? .... It's the lack of sunlight isn't it? They got vitamins you can take for that now. ... Big Grin

I can appreciate good humor.

Wink

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post