Voices in my head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2017, 11:35 AM
RE: Voices in my head
(23-12-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-12-2017 10:49 PM)DarkkWolfe Wrote:  Anyway, I feel literally of two minds.

Only two? pffft, ask me again when you got six. Smile

Six? You work for the gub'mint and you only have SIX? When I was in the D.C. area, I had eleven or twelve on a good day, with at least four of them being invisible and inaccessible to the other seven. How do you manage with only six? Blink

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
23-12-2017, 11:55 AM
(23-12-2017 11:27 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-12-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Only two? pffft, ask me again when you got six

Only six? Pfft, ask me again when you can't even tell how many there are or even how many are talking at the same time Rolleyes

Yabut, yours can be explained by the fact that you're multilingual, of course you got a voice in your head talking in each of the different languages. Mine all speak English. Tongue

#sigh
23-12-2017, 11:55 AM
(23-12-2017 11:35 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(23-12-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Only two? pffft, ask me again when you got six. Smile

Six? You work for the gub'mint and you only have SIX? When I was in the D.C. area, I had eleven or twelve on a good day, with at least four of them being invisible and inaccessible to the other seven. How do you manage with only six? Blink

They let me work from home. ... In the best interests of society at large Smile

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2017, 12:06 PM
(23-12-2017 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut, yours can be explained by the fact that you're multilingual, of course you got a voice in your head talking in each of the different languages. Mine all speak English. Tongue

So, my stream of consciousness is more like a drainage system, then? How appropriate Sleepy

[Image: environmental-issues-tributary-stream-ri...61_low.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
23-12-2017, 05:06 PM
(22-12-2017 10:49 PM)DarkkWolfe Wrote:  Click-worthy title, right? Wink

Seriously though, I was indoctrinated in the christian faith from birth basically, and now that I've woken up (after a mere 30 years...sigh) I do feel like I have these other thoughts or voices in my mind at times.

Here's my family background: Biblical literalist, lightly pentecostal, fundamentalist. Non-abusive, loving home. Loving god (except the hell part, obviously). Supposed to have a personal relationship with Jesus (spoiler: he never showed up). Dad was a pastor. Grandparents and extended family all missionaries.

Anyway, I feel literally of two minds. I'm delving deep into science to try to wash all the young-earth creationist crap out of my head with reality, and in the background I keep getting thoughts like this: "What if you've been deceived by satan?" or "Lean not on your own understanding" or "for the wisdom of the wise is foolishness to god" or "But what if you're wrong and end up burning in HELL?"

Do you guys have these thoughts? Where you can still see the theist viewpoint in your own head and it feels so real and at the same time the atheist in your head is screaming, "are you STUPID?! That's just bullshit!"

What do you do about it? It's like I'm questioning my own senses and reason on no grounds at all!

It is much like grieving someone who was very close to you for a very long time and died during that time of closeness.

The dead person keeps popping up in your head. There are triggers that will make your thoughts go where they are accustomed to going. Of course, there is nothing there now. It can make you question your sanity since it seems to occur at will and you can't control it.

But our brains are smart and it'll get sorted over time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-12-2017, 06:52 PM
I cannot wrap my head logically around any supposed deity who would:
need or want people to worship him/her
need money for any purpose
take attendance once a week

And then of course, there is the whole allowing there to be starving children and allowing children to be raped by priests and preachers, often in their own "house of worship."

If such beings did exist, I think they would deserve my disdain, not my love or support.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
24-12-2017, 06:42 PM
(23-12-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What the fuck does that even mean? "Lightly pentecostal"? Instead of rattlesnakes you talk to baby boa constrictors?

Heh. Not sure how to describe it. It's like a sliding scale. On one end there are the folks that raise their hands when they worship (but wait for everyone to close their eyes first) and speak in tongues under their breath. On the other end there are your wailers, pontificating prophets, barkers, roarers, dancers, and snake handlers.

So, yeah, I consider myself from the "lighter side." I suppose you could call it the less overt side?

“I have always felt that doubt was the beginning of wisdom, and the fear of God was the end of wisdom.”
― Clarence Darrow, The Story of My Life
[+] 1 user Likes DarkkWolfe's post
24-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Lay around and get high for fifteen years.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
25-12-2017, 11:16 AM
(22-12-2017 10:49 PM)DarkkWolfe Wrote:  Click-worthy title, right? Wink

Seriously though, I was indoctrinated in the christian faith from birth basically, and now that I've woken up (after a mere 30 years...sigh) I do feel like I have these other thoughts or voices in my mind at times.

Here's my family background: Biblical literalist, lightly pentecostal, fundamentalist. Non-abusive, loving home. Loving god (except the hell part, obviously). Supposed to have a personal relationship with Jesus (spoiler: he never showed up). Dad was a pastor. Grandparents and extended family all missionaries.

Anyway, I feel literally of two minds. I'm delving deep into science to try to wash all the young-earth creationist crap out of my head with reality, and in the background I keep getting thoughts like this: "What if you've been deceived by satan?" or "Lean not on your own understanding" or "for the wisdom of the wise is foolishness to god" or "But what if you're wrong and end up burning in HELL?"

Do you guys have these thoughts? Where you can still see the theist viewpoint in your own head and it feels so real and at the same time the atheist in your head is screaming, "are you STUPID?! That's just bullshit!"

What do you do about it? It's like I'm questioning my own senses and reason on no grounds at all!

Wow. That's me.
I am starving it to death so that he shut's up.Cool
26-12-2017, 07:42 AM
(24-12-2017 06:42 PM)DarkkWolfe Wrote:  
(23-12-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What the fuck does that even mean? "Lightly pentecostal"? Instead of rattlesnakes you talk to baby boa constrictors?

Heh. Not sure how to describe it. It's like a sliding scale. On one end there are the folks that raise their hands when they worship (but wait for everyone to close their eyes first) and speak in tongues under their breath. On the other end there are your wailers, pontificating prophets, barkers, roarers, dancers, and snake handlers.

So, yeah, I consider myself from the "lighter side." I suppose you could call it the less overt side?

Ah, I get it. The less entertaining version.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post