Voices we hear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Voices we hear
When a child speaks to an imaginary friend we see it as cute. When the child grows up and still has an imaginary friend, it gets hauled off to a psychiatrist. Here's the kicker. What about the adults who swear God speaks to them? Shouldn't they be seeing a psychiatrist as well? Or locked up, depending on what God is telling them to do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 06:56 PM
RE: Voices we hear
(27-12-2013 06:54 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  When a child speaks to an imaginary friend we see it as cute. When the child grows up and still has an imaginary friend, it gets hauled off to a psychiatrist. Here's the kicker. What about the adults who swear God speaks to them? Shouldn't they be seeing a psychiatrist as well? Or locked up, depending on what God is telling them to do?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2013, 06:58 PM
If a Man in the street was holding a hairdryer to his head and claimed he could talk to God thru it he would be hauled away. I don't see why the addition of a hairdryer makes the situation any sillier.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-12-2013, 06:58 PM
(27-12-2013 06:54 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  When a child speaks to an imaginary friend we see it as cute. When the child grows up and still has an imaginary friend, it gets hauled off to a psychiatrist. Here's the kicker. What about the adults who swear God speaks to them? Shouldn't they be seeing a psychiatrist as well? Or locked up, depending on what God is telling them to do?
oh they usually doTongue
May I direct you to this thread?
It goes pretty far in depth to what you're getting at.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
27-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Having a one way conversation with someone who isn't there isn't too bad. We all do it to some degree... Like when you step on a plug your wife left on the floor before she went to work. I regard that as sane.

It's when that person who isn't there answers you back. That's when you know your insane.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
27-12-2013, 07:03 PM
(27-12-2013 06:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
oh they usually doTongue

You should have been around for My proboscis sucks' tulpa business:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...scis-sucks

[Image: 9f6.gif]
27-12-2013, 07:05 PM
(27-12-2013 07:03 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 06:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  oh they usually doTongue

Yes self hypnosis can be quite extensive.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-12-2013, 07:06 PM
(27-12-2013 07:00 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Having a one way conversation with someone who isn't there isn't too bad. We all do it to some degree... Like when you step on a plug your wife left on the floor before she went to work. I regard that as sane.

It's when that person who isn't there answers you back. That's when you know your insane.
everyone has that internal dialogue, I hear people calling it a conscience which is more or less what it is. They are essentially talking to themselves thinking over options anything to keep the process going when it's necessary. The ones who claim that it's an invisible outside source are usually insane. YupTongue

27-12-2013, 07:11 PM
(27-12-2013 07:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 07:03 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  You should have been around for My proboscis sucks' tulpa business:

Yes self hypnosis can be quite extensive.

He was a nice enough guy on the side of that though.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
27-12-2013, 07:20 PM
(27-12-2013 07:03 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 06:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  oh they usually doTongue

um..wow.
You familiar with simulacrum? It's a neat trick the brain can do. Authors use it to flesh out characters to create them more believable. When creating a character the author can basically run a simulation where the character actually exists and will respond to questions and situations as if the character has it's own personality and thoughts. Its a bit weird granted, I think actors do something like this too and they sometimes remain in character even after shooting. Some sacrifice so much to be in character they can become so sickly that it can be very dangerous for them. If you ever seen Christian Bale in the Machinist you'll know what I mean. *shivers*
This this also acts well in magical amulets or good luck charms. Its obviously not magic but the person does believe it to be and god is usually a simulation as well. It talks as a god would or at least what they think a god would. This is probably why indoctrination is so dangerous, especially giving an environment where speaking in tongues is encouraged. Simulation becomes real.