Voluntary Taxes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM

RE: Voluntary Taxes
(06-07-2011 08:01 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  . . . And we have the means to provide everyone with a car and a house - where does it end?

I understand your point here, but it seems like people shouldn't be forced into debt to pay for necessary medical procedures. But if I remember correctly, and I have no clue where I heard this or whether it's correct, a big chunk of the costs for medical procedures come from liability insurance. To address the specific problem of healthcare, one probably needs to tackle the bigger problem frivolous lawsuits.

As for the rest of what you've said, I mostly agree with you. The idea behind the voluntary taxes would be to make the government more accountable to the taxpayers, and give them an incentive to stick to their promises. But if we were to take the states rights path, that would eliminate the need for this because people would have a large variety of different states to choose from, with a variety of tax codes and differing levels of social services to pay for.

Just out of curiosity, would your position be better described as libertarian than republican? Since you're an atheist, I'd assume that you aren't conservative on many social issues - such as gay marriage, drugs, abortion, prostitution, etc. since the republican position on them seems to stem from religious morals.

edit: About your statements that Unbeliever pointed out, they're just caricatures of liberals. Whether you're trying to goad someone into arguing with you or just venting a little frustration about your political opposites, it's not really going to get us anywhere. While some people may believe the government is perfect and think that socialized medicine will solve all our problems, I doubt many people of any political ideology are that simple-minded.
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
(06-07-2011 04:26 PM)Zach Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 08:01 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  . . . And we have the means to provide everyone with a car and a house - where does it end?
I understand your point here, but it seems like people shouldn't be forced into debt to pay for necessary medical procedures.
It would seem to me that people over value their lives. . .

(06-07-2011 04:26 PM)Zach Wrote:  But if I remember correctly, and I have no clue where I heard this or whether it's correct, a big chunk of the costs for medical procedures come from liability insurance. To address the specific problem of healthcare, one probably needs to tackle the bigger problem frivolous lawsuits.
Yeah, I have heard that to, and the Republicans seemed to have been keen to insist on it being fixed, but I have not heard anything. Again, and it has been somewhat bewildering to me all my life (and this is one of the reason why I recognize that I have been a Cynic all my life), why are Christians, or a "Christian nation," so entrenched in liability law suits? It seems somewhat hypocritical to the "turn the other cheek" morality.

(06-07-2011 04:26 PM)Zach Wrote:  As for the rest of what you've said, I mostly agree with you. The idea behind the voluntary taxes would be to make the government more accountable to the taxpayers, and give them an incentive to stick to their promises. But if we were to take the states rights path, that would eliminate the need for this because people would have a large variety of different states to choose from, with a variety of tax codes and differing levels of social services to pay for.
I would think that if the state's rights and proportional voting system path was pursued it would compel the politicians to stick to their promises because it is easier to hold them accountable, because the taxpayers are more aware of their communities' obligations.

(06-07-2011 04:26 PM)Zach Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, would your position be better described as libertarian than republican?
You are probably right, it's just that I hear the Republican talking points more often. I probably should put more effort into seeking Libertarian ideas - thanks for the reminder.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Zach, I have to say it's an attractive idea! I don't have kids, but I do commute a lot, and I certainly would like to see more of my money go into fixing the roads than in schools, for example. Also people who are morally against some of the wars we are currently involved in should have the option to not support them with their tax money. Having said that, I can see quite a few problems with this system, specifically as already mentioned, that some programs especially those used by the least privileged may get very little funding. It would take a conscious act of civil responsibility to fund programs that you probably will never get to use in your lifetime. And I don't know how many tax payers have such civil responsibility.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply