Volunteer work

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-10-2016, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 06:43 PM by Aliza.)
Volunteer work
As some of you know, I live in one of the areas that was affected by Hurricane Matthew. Edit: [Multiple charities] have been conducting disaster relief in my area, and I decided that since I’ve taken the semester off from school, I should roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty. I had to go through a background check, and a little training program, but I hit the streets today to assist in the recovery effort.

After a major storm, I generally avoid the areas that are most impacted because I understand that home owners and relief workers need to have easy access to the properties that need services. Today, I got an up and close personal introduction to the aftermath of a hurricane. There was so much despair. Sad

People were mucking out their flooded homes. Lining the streets of every neighborhood we visited, were piles five and six feet high of soaked carpet, chunks of drywall, water logged furniture and ruined appliances. The looks on the home owners faces were so heart wrenching because they’ve just lost everything. Many of them don’t have the immediate cash on hand to support themselves until their insurance claims come through. They must rely on disaster relief services –much of which are run almost entirely by volunteers-. I’ve signed up to volunteer through the week, and I when this is finally wrapped up, I think I might get the necessary training to be on call to respond to disasters nationwide in the future.

KC… I need to give you this hug. Hug I have an inkling now about what you went through, and I'm so, so sorry that that happened to you and your family. I met a ton of volunteers who had been sent to Baton Rouge to help with the clean up, and I got a pretty good description of how extensive things were.

If you will excuse me now, I think I’ll get on the phone with my beau and then go cry myself to sleep in my wonderful home that didn’t so much as get scratched in the storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like Aliza's post
16-10-2016, 06:28 PM
RE: Volunteer work
Thank you for putting your boots on the ground. chin up!
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
16-10-2016, 06:46 PM
(16-10-2016 06:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  As some of you know, I live in one of the areas that was affected by Hurricane Matthew. The Red Cross and AmeriCares have been conducting disaster relief in my area, and I decided that since I’ve taken the semester off from school, I should roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty. I had to go through a background check, and a little training program, but I hit the streets today to assist in the recovery effort.

After a major storm, I generally avoid the areas that are most impacted because I understand that home owners and relief workers need to have easy access to the properties that need services. Today, I got an up and close personal introduction to the aftermath of a hurricane. There was so much despair. Sad

People were mucking out their flooded homes. Lining the streets of every neighborhood we visited, were piles five and six feet high of soaked carpet, chunks of drywall, water logged furniture and ruined appliances. The looks on the home owners faces were so heart wrenching because they’ve just lost everything. Many of them don’t have the immediate cash on hand to support themselves until their insurance claims come through. They must rely on disaster relief services –much of which are run almost entirely by volunteers-. I’ve signed up to volunteer through the week, and I when this is finally wrapped up, I think I might get the necessary training to be on call to respond to disasters nationwide in the future.

KC… I need to give you this hug. Hug I have an inkling now about what you went through, and I'm so, so sorry that that happened to you and your family. I met a ton of volunteers who had been sent to Baton Rouge to help with the clean up, and I got a pretty good description of how extensive things were.

If you will excuse me now, I think I’ll get on the phone with my beau and then go cry myself to sleep in my wonderful home that didn’t so much as get scratched in the storm.

Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
16-10-2016, 07:01 PM
(16-10-2016 06:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  As some of you know, I live in one of the areas that was affected by Hurricane Matthew. The Red Cross and AmeriCares have been conducting disaster relief in my area, and I decided that since I’ve taken the semester off from school, I should roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty. I had to go through a background check, and a little training program, but I hit the streets today to assist in the recovery effort.

I already thought highly of you, but you just took it to another level.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
16-10-2016, 07:02 PM
You're a good person, Aliza -- don't despair!
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Good for you Aliza. I would be lost without volunteers. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
16-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Heart Hug So nice that you are getting out there and helping others. You're such a sweet, caring person.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
17-10-2016, 01:11 AM
Good job. Volunteering for such work speaks highly of you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
19-10-2016, 04:06 PM
So, if the gossip is accurate, +200 homes in my immediate area have been condemned because of the storm. That’s not even the entire county… that’s just my area of concern as a volunteer. Far more are “critically” and “significantly” damaged and are unlivable or barely livable until repairs come through. Many of the homes were multi-million dollar properties on the ocean, and while these homes are not the focus of my charity’s work, the homeowners are still displaced and have still suffered incredible loss. Even if we can’t help them (and they’d feel inappropriate taking services from us anyway), they still benefit from being able to talk to someone about their experience.

The majority of people I’ve been meeting are regular Joe’s who have jobs, are productive, and have a little survival money in the bank. Unfortunately, they have nowhere near enough to shell out cash up front to compete with everyone else who’s trying to get a new roof, get trees removed from atop their houses, or trying to get their houses mucked out. In a lot of cases, I’m finding out that people think they have the deductible required by their insurance, only to learn that if their homes are damaged in a named storm, their deductibles are 5x higher than normal.

The hurricane shelters are starting to fill up again because these folks are out of cash and have nowhere else to go. The other thing that’s becoming a problem is that the homes that took water damage, but were previously livable, have now begun to grow black mold. The people are forced to vacate their houses, and are now ending up in shelters.

All in all, the region shows many signs of recovery. Businesses are open, power is restored (to everyone in a livable home), and homes that can be salvaged look like they’ve been prepped for repairs to begin. Along a long stretch of a residential street on my route, the Mormons were out in droves, cheerfully hauling destroyed house materials into dumpsters. Fundy or not, they’re out there doing the labor that these folks can’t otherwise afford to have done professionally. A few days ago, I saw the Catholics doing their part. I love how humanity puts its differences aside and works together when we really need each other the most. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
19-10-2016, 04:47 PM
(19-10-2016 04:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  In a lot of cases, I’m finding out that people think they have the deductible required by their insurance, only to learn that if their homes are damaged in a named storm, their deductibles are 5x higher than normal.

Crap, I better check the fine print on my insurance.

(19-10-2016 04:06 PM)‘Aliza Wrote:  I love how humanity puts its differences aside and works together when we really need each other the most. Heart

We are a curious bunch.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post