Volunteering with the NYC Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Volunteering with the NYC Atheists
This weekend will be the second time that I'm volunteering to man a tent/booth for the NYC Atheists on Columbus Circle. On Saturday mornings, volunteers tend to come to the tent to engage passersby in discussion about the importance of the separation of church and state. We hand out the groups newsletter and try to get people to sign up and become members of the New York City Atheists.

If anyone is in NYC this weekend and wants to join us, let me know. It's a lot of fun, and the conversations can be both confusing and inspiring. We get people with "boo" written all over the faces, as well as friends of the cause who give us thumbs up and encouraging smiles.

I'm looking forward to this weekend, for sure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2013, 05:42 PM
RE: Volunteering with the NYC Atheists
(22-07-2013 09:36 PM)jaihare Wrote:  This weekend will be the second time that I'm volunteering to man a tent/booth for the NYC Atheists on Columbus Circle. On Saturday mornings, volunteers tend to come to the tent to engage passersby in discussion about the importance of the separation of church and state. We hand out the groups newsletter and try to get people to sign up and become members of the New York City Atheists.

If anyone is in NYC this weekend and wants to join us, let me know. It's a lot of fun, and the conversations can be both confusing and inspiring. We get people with "boo" written all over the faces, as well as friends of the cause who give us thumbs up and encouraging smiles.

I'm looking forward to this weekend, for sure.

Good for you.

However, you seem to be conflating atheism and secularism.

Separation of church and state (secularism) protects the religious, as well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2013, 05:51 AM
(23-07-2013 05:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Good for you.

I’m volunteering for the group NYC Atheists, and they are pushing and lobbying for secularism (not atheism) in the US government. I’m not conflating anything. Not really sure what even brought you to that conclusion or made you think that this was a justifiable criticism of my invitation to other people on this forum who will be in NYC this weekend.
24-07-2013, 07:49 AM
(24-07-2013 05:51 AM)jaihare Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 05:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Good for you.

I’m volunteering for the group NYC Atheists, and they are pushing and lobbying for secularism (not atheism) in the US government. I’m not conflating anything. Not really sure what even brought you to that conclusion or made you think that this was a justifiable criticism of my invitation to other people on this forum who will be in NYC this weekend.

My apologies. When I read it, it just struck me that way.

24-07-2013, 08:17 AM
(24-07-2013 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  My apologies. When I read it, it just struck me that way.

Do you still get that idea when you read it? I was trying for informality in tone.
24-07-2013, 08:42 AM
(24-07-2013 08:17 AM)jaihare Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  My apologies. When I read it, it just struck me that way.

Do you still get that idea when you read it? I was trying for informality in tone.

No, not really. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

24-07-2013, 09:11 AM
So, anyway, we'll be at the booth from 11am to 6pm, if anyone in NYC wants to stop by and engage in conversation or offer some support. It's just right outside the Time Warner building on Columbus Circle.