Voodoo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 05:13 PM
RE: Voodoo
(09-08-2016 11:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 10:58 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  It's all bullshit.

I dunno. That pufferfish business looks legit.

It is. Nat Geo documented all that stuff.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/vi...ification/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 05:18 PM
(09-08-2016 04:19 AM)gameface Wrote:  I'm a little confused about God and the reality of atheist not believing in one. My question here's is why in Africa, Jamaica other part of the world believe in voodoo? Whats the forces behind this voodoo?
Witches and wizard ideology? I'm really confused and I need some prospective about those questions. Thank you guys

Sent from my M5 using Tapatalk

Voodoo is a Haitian animist religion. Likely origin? Slaves from Benin in West Africa. It is not Jamaican.

Witches and wizards. Evil people with supernatural powers. Same thing, different genders.

The force behind these things? Superstition.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-08-2016, 05:22 PM
(09-08-2016 05:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 11:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I dunno. That pufferfish business looks legit.

It is. Nat Geo documented all that stuff.

I was meaning the voodoo religion, but yeah the whole pufferfish thing is real.
09-08-2016, 05:34 PM
(09-08-2016 05:22 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 05:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It is. Nat Geo documented all that stuff.

I was meaning the voodoo religion, but yeah the whole pufferfish thing is real.

Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-08-2016, 05:40 PM
(09-08-2016 09:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 05:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Voodoo (who do?) has the same roots as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc. That is, an unquestioning belief about supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena.

I thought voodoo was rooted in animism. No?

So does the Hebrew religion, remember when they 'backslid' and they made up a golden calf to worship?
09-08-2016, 05:58 PM
(09-08-2016 09:27 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 09:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I thought voodoo was rooted in animism. No?

It's my understanding that voodoo/Santeria/etc. developed in Haiti and Jamaica during the slave trade. Missionaries attempted to convert the slaves to Christianity. The slaves took elements of Christianity and combined them with their native religions. They added bits from other cultures and religions, developed their own modifications and mixed it all together.

It's an amalgamation created during the slave trade with roots in Africa. I learned this while studying ethnomusicology. It developed over a large area where slaves were taken. Mainly South America and Cuba, Haiti etc where the worship of African gods was intermingled with various forms of Christianity, which was forced upon them.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-08-2016, 06:13 PM
(09-08-2016 05:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 09:27 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  It's my understanding that voodoo/Santeria/etc. developed in Haiti and Jamaica during the slave trade. Missionaries attempted to convert the slaves to Christianity. The slaves took elements of Christianity and combined them with their native religions. They added bits from other cultures and religions, developed their own modifications and mixed it all together.

It's an amalgamation created during the slave trade with roots in Africa. I learned this while studying ethnomusicology. It developed over a large area where slaves were taken. Mainly South America and Cuba, Haiti etc where the worship of African gods was intermingled with various forms of Christianity, which was forced upon them.

Hmm. That mostly agrees with what I said. I'll have to check and see where I got the focus on Haiti. I seem to remember that was the point that it entered the US. Haitian slaves were brought to New Orleans, (maybe after a revolt?) and it spread out from there.

It's been so long since I read it, I'm probably mistaken. In any event, I bow to your superior knowledge. Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-08-2016, 06:17 PM
(09-08-2016 06:13 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 05:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It's an amalgamation created during the slave trade with roots in Africa. I learned this while studying ethnomusicology. It developed over a large area where slaves were taken. Mainly South America and Cuba, Haiti etc where the worship of African gods was intermingled with various forms of Christianity, which was forced upon them.

Hmm. That mostly agrees with what I said. I'll have to check and see where I got the focus on Haiti. I seem to remember that was the point that it entered the US. Haitian slaves were brought to New Orleans, (maybe after a revolt?) and it spread out from there.

It's been so long since I read it, I'm probably mistaken. In any event, I bow to your superior knowledge. Thumbsup

Well being a percussionist helps because one meets these people. Plus I was adding to your point, not trying to disclaim it. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post