Voting Tips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Voting Tips
Does anybody have any tips for voting in the primary elections? This is my first time voting and I am feeling quite overwhelmed by it all. It also does not help that I live in Arizona, so the majority of candidates are very conservative. I do not consider myself to be a part of any party affiliation....but I think I probably lean more towards Libertarianism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
RE: Voting Tips
(03-08-2014 07:17 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  Does anybody have any tips for voting in the primary elections? This is my first time voting and I am feeling quite overwhelmed by it all. It also does not help that I live in Arizona, so the majority of candidates are very conservative. I do not consider myself to be a part of any party affiliation....but I think I probably lean more towards Libertarianism.

Vote democratic. They are not perfect but they are a damn sight better than the insane republican party right now.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-08-2014, 07:33 PM
US libertarianism is identical to US conservatism. So good luck with that.

If you're asking advice for whom to vote for, that is a very bad idea. See who are the candidates, see what they and their party promise, see what they and their party have actually done, and then make your decision on which seems more appealing to you.

My advice is to base your decision off of actual action than rhetoric. Example, they may speak about ending foreign wars, but are they supporting politically/financially foreign forces that slaughter civilians.

The sad truth is that peoples option are very limited in the US. And those options are fairly corrupt. You might get lucky with a good one. Or perhaps one day you can be one of the good ones. Start small, get into local councils. Then aim big.
03-08-2014, 07:39 PM
(03-08-2014 07:33 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  US libertarianism is identical to US conservatism. So good luck with that.

If you're asking advice for whom to vote for, that is a very bad idea. See who are the candidates, see what they and their party promise, see what they and their party have actually done, and then make your decision on which seems more appealing to you.

My advice is to base your decision off of actual action than rhetoric. Example, they may speak about ending foreign wars, but are they supporting politically/financially foreign forces that slaughter civilians.

The sad truth is that peoples option are very limited in the US. And those options are fairly corrupt. You might get lucky with a good one. Or perhaps one day you can be one of the good ones. Start small, get into local councils. Then aim big.

I am not looking for advice on whom to vote for, but more how to narrow down my options and how to go about figuring out who to vote for. The suggestions you gave help a bit though so thank you Smile
03-08-2014, 07:41 PM
(03-08-2014 07:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 07:17 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  Does anybody have any tips for voting in the primary elections? This is my first time voting and I am feeling quite overwhelmed by it all. It also does not help that I live in Arizona, so the majority of candidates are very conservative. I do not consider myself to be a part of any party affiliation....but I think I probably lean more towards Libertarianism.

Vote democratic. They are not perfect but they are a damn sight better than the insane republican party right now.

I'm not really wanting to vote just by party, but by how well each individual represents me and what I stand for. That's hard to do because for every person, there is always going to be things I dislike about them I am sure. I am a very nuanced person, and it's hard voting in a political system that is so black and white.
03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
(03-08-2014 07:41 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 07:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Vote democratic. They are not perfect but they are a damn sight better than the insane republican party right now.

I'm not really wanting to vote just by party, but by how well each individual represents me and what I stand for. That's hard to do because for every person, there is always going to be things I dislike about them I am sure. I am a very nuanced person, and it's hard voting in a political system that is so black and white.

Well it depends on what you are voting for as to how much party matters. But for national offices (house, senate, president) they tend to vote as a caucus so any republican will vote down party lines same with any democrat. It is becoming sadly rare for anyone to cross party lines.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
(03-08-2014 07:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 07:41 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  I'm not really wanting to vote just by party, but by how well each individual represents me and what I stand for. That's hard to do because for every person, there is always going to be things I dislike about them I am sure. I am a very nuanced person, and it's hard voting in a political system that is so black and white.

Well it depends on what you are voting for as to how much party matters. But for national offices (house, senate, president) they tend to vote as a caucus so any republican will vote down party lines same with any democrat. It is becoming sadly rare for anyone to cross party lines.

It's just state/county elections.
03-08-2014, 08:03 PM
(03-08-2014 07:59 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 07:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well it depends on what you are voting for as to how much party matters. But for national offices (house, senate, president) they tend to vote as a caucus so any republican will vote down party lines same with any democrat. It is becoming sadly rare for anyone to cross party lines.

It's just state/county elections.

Well you said you were from Arizona right, just vote against any incumbent. You guys are the new craziest state so any change would be an improvement.

03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Don't, it only encourages them.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Electoral vote National, party vote ACT.

[Image: oscar.png]