Voting and the majority

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Voting and the majority
With the U.S. presidential election of 2016 coming soon, I have been really observing and researching many of the candidates. Along with information about each candidates views and purposed policies, I have found many of their supporters providing less than substantial evidence on why their candidates or the best and more bashing the opposing side.

Now regardless of whether these supporter/non-supporters are with/against Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or Ben Carson I have found one commonality. Voters are reluctant to step outside of their respective political parties and view the opposing views perspective without grasping at straws. .

First, a Republican will win because voters typically shy away from the party currently in power when an incumbent isn’t running. In fact, a successor candidate is three times less likely to win. Second, President Barack Obama’s approval ratings are too low to suggest a successor candidate will take the White House.

As it stands now, I can’t see myself voting for a Republican again (barring a situation where a moderate Republican ends up against a Tea Party candidate after a Louisiana “jungle primary“) unless they drastically change these five things, among others.

It seems there are some well-meaning progressives who have given up on the Democratic Party. Understandable. I myself probably cannot bring myself to vote the Democratic ticket. But at the same time I will probably experience the same inability to vote third party that I have experienced in the past.

Now although most of the supporters bring up some very valid concerns about the opposing party I feel that this highlights the problems of the party system of voting. In many ways it limits people to not being able to back out and see the big perspective on actual issues.

With this in mind, let us look at another issue that I find myself pondering.

In our democracy the majority chooses who they want as president through the electoral college which ,in my opinion, is one of the most horrendous thing ever invented. In some cases it can put a wedge between the voters and who they actually want in office. For instance, if a republican-leaning state decides unanimously that it wants to vote republican, the electoral college can override that decision and choose democrat for "the better of the people". This has only happened four times most recently in the 2000 U.S. Presidential Election but it still could have grave results for our country.

Now although this is seen as a huge problem in our voting system, let us look at the other perspective.

Our voting system is based on popularity which in some cases might not be what is the best idea for the country. I think we agree that this is very true with many candidates in this election. With the decline in interest in higher education due to extremely high cost and public primary education straying away from teaching critical thinking skills I believe the majority will be turned away from being able to make rational decisions.

So I pose this question. If the new voting classes of the young and politically correct are not being taught basic critical thinking or even having an higher education who's to say that this system(based off of what's popular which may or may not be good) will work out in our best interest?

Now this is not saying that I think democracy is a terrible thing. I have fought for these ideals. I am simply making an observation and starting a dialogue on problems within our system so that maybe we can find a solution. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this topic.

Citations

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/20...n-in-2016/

[url]Read more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/5-rea...can-again/[/url]

[url]See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/0...OsjE6.dpuf[/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_...pular_vote

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/...olumn.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmu...54401.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Voting and the majority
In any election - there's winners and losers.

The winners - are the politicians.

The losers - are us.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately, in Australia, a politician's personal charm or aura, or persona or whatever you wanna call it is all too often the decider of who's gonna be the boss of the country. We've just had a change of prime ministers, without an election, and with each bloke being a member of the same party. Which probably sounds bizarre to most Americans.

So... we now have a basically unchanged party platform on things such as defence, education, health, taxation, pensions etc, but a new head honcho with a far more attractive personality, who's far more articulate, and has a better grasp of international relations.

We also have an opposition leader who's almost invisible, can't make a decent policy speech to save himself, and has all the personality of a sack of hammers. Or less.

And again, unfortunately, Aussies invariably vote mainly on personalities, and fuck the actual party policies.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
08-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Switch to alternative vote at least, you berks.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
08-12-2015, 05:46 AM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-12-2015, 06:04 AM
I thought. the electoral college did it all?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.