Poll: How are you going to decide how to vote?
I think one of the candidates will make a good president
I am voting for the lesser evil
I am going to write Donald Duck in
There is no choice and I will not vote.
[Show Results]

Voting poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 10:34 AM
RE: Voting poll
(30-06-2016 10:33 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Forgive my naïveté here, but I'm not sure I understand some of the thinking here.

If you're against Trump and knowing Bernie (or any other non Hillary candidate) can't win, why do you vote for him? Because you want to perpetuate his message into the next election? You do realize a vote for Bernie is a vote for Trump, right? Because if you're not voting for the only person who can beat him, then you're helping him.

Is it because you can childishly say later, "Well, I didn't vote for him/her" when the election is over and you disagree with their decisions or platform?

I just don't get it. Voting for Bernie or Gary Johnson or that other war hero moron makes zero sense. What good is voting your conscience when you could be indirectly responsible for Trump getting elected?

Obviously when the curtain closes it's between you and the ballot and that's your right, I just don't understand why you would even make the trip.

I can't speak for anyone but myself so this is a singular answer to your question.

I think Trump is probably the most dangerous presidential candidate in my lifetime. But, I won't vote for Clinton to keep him out of office. A presidential candidate has to offer me more than "I'm not that asshole over there".

As for why I won't vote for her, some of the basic reasons are:
1. she favors a violent, interventionist foreign policy which I believe makes us less safe. I have 2 sons, aged 13 and 15 and while we don't currently have a draft they are coming up on military age. I fear the world she will create for them.
1A. She was the architect behind the US involvement in Libya, a country that we launched a war on that had done absolutely nothing to us and posed no threat to us. Back in the mid-40s, we had trials and convicted the leaders of Germany and Japan for launching aggressive wars. We hung the guilty. And now we are doing the same thing, first under President Bush in Iraq and then under President Obama in Libya. She didn't order it, but she was the driving force behind it.
2. Her record with regards to Wall Street is an affront to the middle class in this country.
3. Her trade policies are the same trade policies that have been fucking the middle class since the mid-90s. Trump is, in my view, spot on about this issue (even a broken clock is right twice a day). The sort of globalization we have created benefits a very small group of people and completely screws the working and middle class of western industrialized nations. I think this had as much to do with the Brexit vote as anything. People aren't racists, they just don't want to continue to see their jobs outsourced. Clinton's trade policies favor a continuation of this kind of policy.

To me, voting for Clinton is voting against my best interests. I won't do it. I'm probably also going to vote for Gary Johnson. And, I live in PA, which is a potential swing state.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like BnW's post
01-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't vote for Clinton because she's a woman...

Angel

01-07-2016, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 02:03 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I would have chosen 2 options. I do think one of the candidates will make a good president. She also happens to be the lesser of two evils, lol. I don't have to like a person to think they'd be good at running things. It's not that I think she'd be bad doing the job, it's who I believe she's doing it for that bothers me.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
01-07-2016, 01:53 PM
So far, between the write-ins and the abstaining, there would be a lot of votes that would not count.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-07-2016, 02:28 PM
(01-07-2016 01:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  So far, between the write-ins and the abstaining, there would be a lot of votes that would not count.

Yes but they are still responsible for what happens because no choice or no viable choice is still a choice.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
(01-07-2016 02:28 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 01:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  So far, between the write-ins and the abstaining, there would be a lot of votes that would not count.

Yes but they are still responsible for what happens because no choice or no viable choice is still a choice.

"And if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -- Rush
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
01-07-2016, 02:45 PM

I'm not worried, pretty sure my state will go for Clinton. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Funny thing is I'm marching of with the rest of my nation to vote today and I'm getting close to just writing "screw it all" in big block letters on the ballot sheet. The two and one half major parties all leave a poor taste in my mouth to varying degrees; the liberals are pushing to privatise the national healthcare system, defund universities, and attempt to block any environmental policies the opposition brings to bear. Labor's main selling point for me is 'hey, at least we aren't those other guys', and the one half a major party the Greens are basically the only bastion for environmental policy, but they sometimes push it too hard and see the lack much other focus....

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
01-07-2016, 03:28 PM
(01-07-2016 10:34 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 10:33 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Forgive my naïveté here, but I'm not sure I understand some of the thinking here.

If you're against Trump and knowing Bernie (or any other non Hillary candidate) can't win, why do you vote for him? Because you want to perpetuate his message into the next election? You do realize a vote for Bernie is a vote for Trump, right? Because if you're not voting for the only person who can beat him, then you're helping him.

Is it because you can childishly say later, "Well, I didn't vote for him/her" when the election is over and you disagree with their decisions or platform?

I just don't get it. Voting for Bernie or Gary Johnson or that other war hero moron makes zero sense. What good is voting your conscience when you could be indirectly responsible for Trump getting elected?

Obviously when the curtain closes it's between you and the ballot and that's your right, I just don't understand why you would even make the trip.

I can't speak for anyone but myself so this is a singular answer to your question.

I think Trump is probably the most dangerous presidential candidate in my lifetime. But, I won't vote for Clinton to keep him out of office. A presidential candidate has to offer me more than "I'm not that asshole over there".

As for why I won't vote for her, some of the basic reasons are:
1. she favors a violent, interventionist foreign policy which I believe makes us less safe. I have 2 sons, aged 13 and 15 and while we don't currently have a draft they are coming up on military age. I fear the world she will create for them.
1A. She was the architect behind the US involvement in Libya, a country that we launched a war on that had done absolutely nothing to us and posed no threat to us. Back in the mid-40s, we had trials and convicted the leaders of Germany and Japan for launching aggressive wars. We hung the guilty. And now we are doing the same thing, first under President Bush in Iraq and then under President Obama in Libya. She didn't order it, but she was the driving force behind it.
2. Her record with regards to Wall Street is an affront to the middle class in this country.
3. Her trade policies are the same trade policies that have been fucking the middle class since the mid-90s. Trump is, in my view, spot on about this issue (even a broken clock is right twice a day). The sort of globalization we have created benefits a very small group of people and completely screws the working and middle class of western industrialized nations. I think this had as much to do with the Brexit vote as anything. People aren't racists, they just don't want to continue to see their jobs outsourced. Clinton's trade policies favor a continuation of this kind of policy.

To me, voting for Clinton is voting against my best interests. I won't do it. I'm probably also going to vote for Gary Johnson. And, I live in PA, which is a potential swing state.

Thanks for the thought-out response. I still think any vote not for Clinton is a vote for Trump, and he would be monumentally worse for your best interests, especially your young children. But I'll leave it alone.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Can I write in Goofy instead of Donald? Donald's an asshole.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post