Poll: How are you going to decide how to vote?
I think one of the candidates will make a good president
I am voting for the lesser evil
I am going to write Donald Duck in
There is no choice and I will not vote.
[Show Results]

Voting poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: Voting poll
(01-07-2016 03:35 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Can I write in Goofy instead of Donald? Donald's an asshole.

Nope. But you can use Minnie Mouse or Pluto. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-07-2016, 08:50 PM
I would legit vote Trump if I had a vote.
Because your retarded country deserve him.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-07-2016, 11:58 PM
(01-07-2016 02:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 02:28 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yes but they are still responsible for what happens because no choice or no viable choice is still a choice.

"And if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -- Rush

Well, I will choose free will. I dislike both major candidates, and like I said, will only vote Clinto in order to stop Trump. If my vote cannot aid that goal, I will spend it with my conscience as a guide. And that is a choice, yet I am not choosing to not decide.

I am choosing to try and help a viable alternative get a seat at the table.
02-07-2016, 08:24 AM
(01-07-2016 03:28 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks for the thought-out response. I still think any vote not for Clinton is a vote for Trump, and he would be monumentally worse for your best interests, especially your young children. But I'll leave it alone.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The one thing I thing a Trump presidency would actually succeed at would be uniting Washington. Both parties hate him so much I think he would face a level of gridlock that would make the Obama years look like the Golden Age of Cooperation. I think absolutely nothing would happen, with the exception of Supreme Court nominations. He would at minimum replace Scalia and probably at least Ginsburg, who I can't see making it through 4 more years given her age and reported health issues.

With Hillary, I'm getting at least 4 more years of what I've had the past 16. Bush and Obama really were not all that different. They both turned a blind eye to the largess of Wall Street, with Obama adding the additional bonus of refusing to prosecute white collar criminals at the banks. The Bush justice departments at least prosecuted people. They both ran a violent, interventionist and often illegal foreign policy and had the temerity to denounce the killing of innocents by terrorists while they dropped bombs on innocent people left and right. They both favored trade agreements and fiscal policies that screwed the middle class of this country. And, Hillary Clinton will do the exact same thing. I won't vote for more of that. I absolutely will not.

If that means I contribute to Trump getting in, then so be it. That may be the only way the Democrats are going to start paying attention to their actual constituents. The Republicans just learned a really hard lesson (maybe - time will tell what they took from this). I'm not against the Democrats getting the same treatment.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
02-07-2016, 09:46 AM
(02-07-2016 08:24 AM)BnW Wrote:  That may be the only way the Democrats are going to start paying attention to their actual constituents. The Republicans just learned a really hard lesson (maybe - time will tell what they took from this). I'm not against the Democrats getting the same treatment.

Well said.

Unfortunately the powers that be in both parties don’t seem to be able to control who will run for president. When you have 16 people throw their hats into the ring like the GOP did this year or have weak tickets such as McCain/Palin 2008 GOP, Kerry/Edwards 2004 Dems as examples, I think the electorate goes with either familiarity or the “fuck this shit” vote.

I just don’t see the respective parties “learning” any lesson from this year’s clusterfuck, or for that matter any of the previous umpteen elections. It has been my observation that the two parties have little if any real control as to who runs and who becomes the nominee, I give you Trump as an example. The GOP is completely splintered over his presumptive nomination. No amount of kicking and screaming or money was able to keep him from getting here. On the other hand the Dems are going with Clinton because, well, from reading op-ed pieces she appears to be the one that will fuck up things the least.

Since I have become more of a pragmatist as I have aged I will vote with my head and not my heart as I did when I was young (I voted for Perot in 1992). Weighing what I perceive to be the damage that a Trump presidency could levy on this country versus a viable alternative, I will vote for Clinton.

One thing is being idealistic, it is quite another to act impetuously.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm voting Hillary. I would have ideally wanted Bernie, but since that ship has sailed, I'm going for Hillary. I see absolutely no point in sitting out the vote entirely.

[+] 4 users Like Escape Artist's post
02-07-2016, 12:14 PM
(02-07-2016 09:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I just don’t see the respective parties “learning” any lesson from this year’s clusterfuck, or for that matter any of the previous umpteen elections.

I strongly suspect you are right. I've seen no evidence that the Democrats are seriously assessing the issues raised and reasons given for the close race Sanders gave to Clinton. And, while the Republicans are denouncing individual statements by Trump, they are not addressing the fact that their constant fear mongering was a big part of what lead to his nomination.

As for your comment about Hillary, I get it. I absolutely get why people would hold their nose and vote for her. She's the least vile option of the two. I would never give any grief to anyone who votes for her and says it's the least offensive choice.

I'm just not willing to do that myself. I'm tired of playing ball with a corrupt system that does not represent me at all. The only means I have of sending any message at all, no matter how ineffectual, is my vote. If that is the only weapon at my disposal, short of armed revolution, then that's what I'm going to wield.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
02-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I think Hillary will be a decent president. She's the president this country deserves. Take that as you will.

I don't think she will be too bat shit crazy. I don't think she would be an embarrassment. She has experience. She's politically savvy, which can be good or bad.

I think if you're going to write in Bernie might as well write lizard people and get it over with. The vote will count exactly the same. Bernie won't be up for president and to have votes counted in a write in you need to be registered. The deadline for that may have passed (not sure, I think it varies state by state) and he won't register anyway. That type of protest does not make sense to me.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
02-07-2016, 01:32 PM
(02-07-2016 01:08 PM)natachan Wrote:  I think Hillary will be a decent president. She's the president this country deserves. Take that as you will.

I don't think she will be too bat shit crazy. I don't think she would be an embarrassment. She has experience. She's politically savvy, which can be good or bad.

I think if you're going to write in Bernie might as well write lizard people and get it over with. The vote will count exactly the same. Bernie won't be up for president and to have votes counted in a write in you need to be registered. The deadline for that may have passed (not sure, I think it varies state by state) and he won't register anyway. That type of protest does not make sense to me.

My point exactly. Some statements made in this thread are rooted in off-the-cuff generalizations that are ludicrous at best and lack critical thinking and proof.

I'll be glad to punch the chad next to Hillary's name because there is no one more qualified to run the country, no one who has championed the causes of women and children more and she will continue what Obama started, which is turning this country around and into the right direction. To say Obama and Bush were essentially the same is to say the least laughable.

I'll vote my conscience, and that vote will count.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
02-07-2016, 01:50 PM
(02-07-2016 12:14 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm tired of playing ball with a corrupt system that does not represent me at all. The only means I have of sending any message at all, no matter how ineffectual, is my vote. If that is the only weapon at my disposal, short of armed revolution, then that's what I'm going to wield.

I can’t fault you for this. In many respects it echoes a sentiment from the 60’s asking, “Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?” http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2011/12...-came.html even though it was first coined in 1936 by Carl Sandburg.

We can paraphrase and say, “Suppose they had an election and nobody voted?”

Will the powers that be get the message? Maybe. Will it have any bearing on this year’s election? Unfortunately not. The reality is one of two people will become the next POTUS. My pragmatic side will choose to vote for the most qualified while my idealistic side will hope that grass-root movements will swell so that in 2020 the American electorate will have to choose between two competent, intelligent, honest and inclusive nominees.

However I have to agree with Douglas Adams when he said, “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/2416-the...-there-are

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post