Poll: How are you going to decide how to vote?
I think one of the candidates will make a good president
I am voting for the lesser evil
I am going to write Donald Duck in
There is no choice and I will not vote.
[Show Results]

Voting poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: Voting poll
(30-06-2016 06:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Lol, people, the software prompts you to enter the message and then the poll. Tongue

Yeah... I discovered this glitch myself a couple of weeks ago. Tongue

Anyway, I voted for "I am voting for the lesser evil" (Bernie?) which is precisely the way I voted yesterday in the Aussie federal election. It's one of the major problems with our purported version of "democracy" with its *preferential voting system—that no Aussie understands—that we can't be sure of our personal vote going to the bloke or woman that we intended, as it can be redirected by "preferences".

Which is why we often end up with total nut-jobs in parliament.

Quote:A system of voting whereby the voter indicates his/her order of preference for every one of the candidates listed on the ballot for a specified office, so that if no candidate receives a majority of first preferences the first and second preferences and if necessary third and other preferences may be counted together until one candidate obtains a majority of 50%+1.

First-past-the-post voting, more correctly known as Simple Majority voting, is the most popular voting system employed throughout the democratic world. However, it is not used in elections to any Australian house of Parliament.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 01:37 AM
(02-07-2016 01:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Will the powers that be get the message? Maybe. Will it have any bearing on this year’s election? Unfortunately not. The reality is one of two people will become the next POTUS. My pragmatic side will choose to vote for the most qualified while my idealistic side will hope that grass-root movements will swell so that in 2020 the American electorate will have to choose between two competent, intelligent, honest and inclusive nominees.

I sincerely hope you're right, but the pessimist in me thinks that the major parties like low turnout, because it means that they have to appeal to fewer voters -- it simplifies the calculus, in a way.

The two majors will not take note until they see their supporters not simply staying home, but leaving the tent.

But I will vote third-party unless I think my vote could usefully prevent what I think would be a disastrous presidency, in this or any other election. The two majors will only take note when they see their own support being leached away.
03-07-2016, 06:29 AM
(03-07-2016 01:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I sincerely hope you're right, but the pessimist in me thinks that the major parties like low turnout, because it means that they have to appeal to fewer voters -- it simplifies the calculus, in a way.

Democrats hate low turnout. Republicans always vote, so low turnout is in their favor.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
03-07-2016, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 07:09 AM by Full Circle.)
(03-07-2016 01:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But I will vote third-party unless I think my vote could usefully prevent what I think would be a disastrous presidency, in this or any other election. The two majors will only take note when they see their own support being leached away.

The collective wisdom of the pollsters in Britain showed that Brexit would never happen, so many didn’t vote or cast a vote for ‘leave’ to make a statement and we know now how that worked out. This is my biggest fear.

Edit: I’m including an article here (written before the Brexit vote) that I think gets to the matter of why humans act they way they do even, and sometimes especially when, experts say otherwise. The Stupidity Paradox. http://theconversation.com/why-do-you-ma...wise-60020

Excerpts:

“In the UK there has been a broad consensus of economics experts warning that a vote to leave Europe will be disastrous, but many members of the public still intend to vote to leave.”

"Why does this happen?
One possible answer is that the general public is just stupid."

“A second answer is that public trust in experts is declining.”

Another reason is our inbuilt cognitive biases.

"So don’t be surprised when experts double down on their warnings about Trump, Brexit or climate change and appear to have the opposite effect on public opinion. Whether we are all stupid or not is a moot point, but we can certainly be decidedly obstinate in the face of the most compelling evidence.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-07-2016, 11:07 AM
(02-07-2016 01:08 PM)natachan Wrote:  I think Hillary will be a decent president. She's the president this country deserves. Take that as you will.

I don't think she will be too bat shit crazy. I don't think she would be an embarrassment. She has experience. She's politically savvy, which can be good or bad.

I think if you're going to write in Bernie might as well write lizard people and get it over with. The vote will count exactly the same. Bernie won't be up for president and to have votes counted in a write in you need to be registered. The deadline for that may have passed (not sure, I think it varies state by state) and he won't register anyway. That type of protest does not make sense to me.

A lizard person would be an improvement over most presidents we've had in recent decades.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.