WAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Bug WAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE
I understand why, but it still bothers me that a huge tragedy like the two that happened, one in the US and the one in China, and every religious person in the world takes advantage of it to try and stuff god down everyone's throat, fill up their churches, and blame Atheists. Why is it that they just try and let people grieve and offer assistance instead of Lazy prayer. We need to help every person that was affected by this, whether it is with counseling, funeral costs, or anything else we can do. Moving hands are better than praying lips remember that.

"IT'S CALLED FAITH BECAUSE IT'S NOT KNOWLEDGE"-Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like crippledatheist's post
16-12-2012, 02:08 PM
RE: WAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE
Generalising.
16-12-2012, 02:12 PM
(16-12-2012 02:08 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Generalising.
What do you mean?

"IT'S CALLED FAITH BECAUSE IT'S NOT KNOWLEDGE"-Christopher Hitchens
16-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:and every religious person in the world takes advantage of it to try and stuff god down everyone's throat

Maybe he means you are painting every Christian with a broad brush. Not sure though. I would tent to agree with you.

Justin
[+] 1 user Likes Kinger's post
16-12-2012, 02:39 PM
(16-12-2012 12:32 PM)crippledatheist Wrote:  I understand why, but it still bothers me that a huge tragedy like the two that happened, one in the US and the one in China, and every religious person in the world takes advantage of it to try and stuff god down everyone's throat, fill up their churches, and blame Atheists. Why is it that they just try and let people grieve and offer assistance instead of Lazy prayer. We need to help every person that was affected by this, whether it is with counseling, funeral costs, or anything else we can do. Moving hands are better than praying lips remember that.

And you are not taking advantage to preach your atheist sermon? Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?
[+] 3 users Like Janus's post
16-12-2012, 03:35 PM
(16-12-2012 02:39 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 12:32 PM)crippledatheist Wrote:  I understand why, but it still bothers me that a huge tragedy like the two that happened, one in the US and the one in China, and every religious person in the world takes advantage of it to try and stuff god down everyone's throat, fill up their churches, and blame Atheists. Why is it that they just try and let people grieve and offer assistance instead of Lazy prayer. We need to help every person that was affected by this, whether it is with counseling, funeral costs, or anything else we can do. Moving hands are better than praying lips remember that.

And you are not taking advantage to preach your atheist sermon? Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?
Hmmm. You know.... I actually agree with what you're saying. I've not seen a lot of people using it to call atheists this or that or blame us. But what I have seen is people leveraging it for their agenda in general.

We cannot generalize this that it is necessarily one group calling another x because of y. There are a lot of groups using it to leverage their agenda. I do not think there is a silver bullet answer to prevent or solve the issue at hand regarding the horrible tragedy that occurred.

I live in a small town. Not in the bible belt. But I've seen everything from "... 'bama gonna take er gerns ermagerd" to "... gotta get some god up in school to prevent this in the future!" - but I haven't actually seen anyone play the atheist blame game (at least, not in the circle of people I know) but I think it is really more realistic to look at the fact that if you find someone with an agenda, they will use horrendous acts to leverage them.
16-12-2012, 09:27 PM
(16-12-2012 02:39 PM)Janus Wrote:  

Dang dude. We agree.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
16-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I was just like to point out that the OP's message is false. As I am counted as an "every religious person" and I haven't used this horrific event for an agenda nor have I blamed atheists.

Free advice - avoid words like: never, every, all, etc. They will get you into trouble. There are no absolutes. Also, if you are making claims, it helps to have citations or at least a few examples to back that claim.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Aside from the generalization the christian public seem to have this idea or prejudice that anybody christian is truthful, honest, and generally moral.

Where as far as I've experienced the label is simply used to usher the christians to their stores/cause/whatever.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
16-12-2012, 09:58 PM
kingchosen is correct. It's not the religious that are taking advantage. It's not just the non-religious taking advantage....

IT'S THE STUPID PEOPLE! IT'S ALWAYS THE STUPID PEOPLE!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
DAMMIT PEOPLE!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!