Poll: why did you become an atheist?
I disagree with the bible
I don't believe Jesus is real
I believe that GOD is a spaghetti monster
Because I have found GOD
Because I have not found GOD
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 05:14 AM
RE: WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?
(04-03-2017 04:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  A more interesting question is...

Why does the existence of atheists make some people so uncomfortable?

Because by our mere existence, we threaten to dispel their preferred illusion.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2017, 05:25 AM

It's for the same reason they put Socrates to death.
For eons, the cultural norms of society have been embodied by religions. Religions act as gate-keepers, (or think they ought to).
People mistakenly assume, then in rejecting religion, non-believers also reject their cultural values. They mistakenly assume the direction of cultural values information flow is religion > culture. In fact it's the opposite. Religion sanctions and interprets cultural values. Cultural values do not sanction religion. Cultural values change all the time. The conflict arises when religions refuse to acknowledge the inevitable flow of new information.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 05:32 AM
[Image: 58fyefA.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
04-03-2017, 05:36 AM
(04-03-2017 05:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

It's for the same reason they put Socrates to death.
For eons, the cultural norms of society have been embodied by religions. Religions act as gate-keepers, (or think they ought to).
People mistakenly assume, then in rejecting religion, non-believers also reject their cultural values. They mistakenly assume the direction of cultural values information flow is religion > culture. In fact it's the opposite. Religion sanctions and interprets cultural values. Cultural values do not sanction religion. Cultural values change all the time. The conflict arises when religions refuse to acknowledge the inevitable flow of new information.

Example: Mormonism, where one day (conveniently just after the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964) their current head prophet got a communique from god, telling him that blacks were people too. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2017, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 07:17 AM by unfogged.)
Like many others, I never BECAME an atheist. I just never became a theist because I never found any reasonable evidence that there was a god.

As for the poll...
I disagree with the bible -- it's a story book so it doesn't make sense to me to say that I agree or disagree with it. There are some things in it that are true but most of it appears to be mythology.

I don't believe Jesus is real -- I don't, but many theists also don't think he is, or even was, real either. Not believing in Jesus may make you a non-xian but doesn't necessarily make you an atheist.

I believe that GOD is a spaghetti monster -- in the spirit that the FSM was proposed, I can agree with this. May you be touched by his noodly appendages.

Because I have found GOD -- then I definitely would NOT be an atheist

Because I have not found GOD -- define "GOD"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
04-03-2017, 06:11 AM
To disappoint my parents.

Like most everyone else has said here. I've been an Atheist for as long as I can remember. I was brought up in a Christian home but I stopped believing when I was 14. A few years before that I stopped believing in Santa so it wasn't a huge leap for me to make.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
04-03-2017, 06:20 AM
Indoctrination didn't stick.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
04-03-2017, 06:26 AM
I wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons and I heard that you needed to be a devil worshipping atheist to do that.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
04-03-2017, 06:29 AM
The general process for me was: 1) my own reading of the bible showed me that the Christian god was immoral; 2) my experience of Christians and people who followed other religions showed me that religion didn't improve their ethics or their personalities; 3) my 12-year empirical trial of Christianity failed to show any effectiveness of sincere pleas to god; and 4) my examination of arguments for any god's existence found nothing convincing.

Tl;dr reason: Barbecued babies taste delicious.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
04-03-2017, 06:32 AM
At work.

Um.... I more identify as a 'Non-theist'.

Unsure

I can still be in the club, right?

Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post