Poll: why did you become an atheist?
I disagree with the bible
I don't believe Jesus is real
I believe that GOD is a spaghetti monster
Because I have found GOD
Because I have not found GOD
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 06:39 AM
RE: WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?
(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  I've never been an atheist and my views on atheism is definitely past it's 20th century ideology. I've always leaned towards Buddhism and recent'y after extensively investigating the horrors being committed against the Rohingya people. Myanmar Buddhists are not peaceful and Buddhists around the world do not take any accountability towards their peoples actions. The horrible things these Buddhists have done to innocent people simply because of the deep political influences, enticing all of this evil.

Buddhists are no longer peaceful people and it has made me realize that we are all just savages. Every single one of us, no matter how passive you are. Your bloodline is built in bloodshed. War, evil, pacifism is our nature. The weak savages will always die, the stronger ones will always kill them. I've always put my faith in Buddhism and seeing that they cannot sustain peace. They aren't adequate enough to continue

It's also opened up my eyes in understanding why people love Christ so much. He doesn't have a history of violence. He wins by default. But when I think about worshiping something. By my savage nature I refuse too. I would rather worship myself. Why waste all that energy and power on something so dramatic if you can adapt and evolve past it. We are savages, savages are animals and intelligent animals adapt and evolve.

Anyways, i'm half drunk and ranting. Regardless my rant and question is serious. Why are you an atheist? I expect the typical 20th century white american European response but I can't predict the future....

ps
I cause trouble because being offended changes you. So don't be a sensitive bitch if anything I say offends you. We're all savages!

> I am an atheist because God, as defined by mainstream Christianity, is provably nonexistent. I am an atheist because I have never seen any rational evidence for the existence of gods in general, nor any evidence for the supernatural.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
04-03-2017, 06:53 AM
(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  But when I think about worshiping something. By my savage nature I refuse too. I would rather worship myself.

We are savages, savages are animals and intelligent animals adapt and evolve.

Why are you an atheist?

We don't have to worship anything at all, even ourselves.

Humans are not just "red in tooth and claw". We are social creatures too, and deserve much more credit than your over-simplified assessment.

Why am I an atheist? Because I prefer to be honest.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
04-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Hypocrisy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-03-2017, 08:23 AM
(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  I've never been an atheist and my views on atheism is definitely past it's 20th century ideology.

There is no ideology of atheism. Atheism begins and ends with one question and one answer.

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  Buddhists are no longer peaceful people and it has made me realize that we are all just savages. Every single one of us, no matter how passive you are. Your bloodline is built in bloodshed.

Sweeping generalization about buddhists.
Generalization about humans being all savages.
Misunderstanding of the definition of savage.
Non-sequitur regarding bloodline and savagery.

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  War, evil, pacifism is our nature. The weak savages will always die, the stronger ones will always kill them.

Yawn. Drinking Beverage

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  It's also opened up my eyes in understanding why people love Christ so much. He doesn't have a history of violence.

Except for that whole temper tantrum in the temple incident.
Oh and that doctrine of ETERNAL DAMNATION IN A LAKE OF FIRE. Drinking Beverage

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  We are savages, savages are animals and intelligent animals adapt and evolve.

Except that you've already nullified this earlier in your post. If we can't escape our savage past, as you claim, then how can we evolve past it?

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  Anyways, i'm half drunk and ranting.

Somehow I doubt that sobriety will improve your posting.

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  Regardless my rant and question is serious. Why are you an atheist?

Why do you feel that you deserve a answer? You come here, by your own admission, intoxicated and ranting. You try to insult us and expect us to leap up and answer your question?

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  I expect the typical 20th century white american European response but I can't predict the future....

Wow. More generalizations. Forgive me for not fitting your preconceptions, but what is exactly the "typical 20th century white American European response"?

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  ps
I cause trouble because being offended changes you. So don't be a sensitive bitch if anything I say offends you. We're all savages!

Oh no. A troll comes to an atheist forum and tries to offend us.

You're not the first and really not even all that offensive really.

Multiple generalizations.
Lack of understanding regarding atheism.
Misunderstood definitions.
Self contradictions in the same post.

I'd give it a 1 out of 5 on the dickometer. Drinking Beverage

BTW: If you looked around the forum, or used that handy "search" button, there are several threads already started that would answer your question. Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-03-2017, 08:41 AM
None of these poll options are gonna work for me.

Just because someone disagrees with the Bible doesn't make them an atheist. Same with not believing in Jesus.

The third and fourth options are reasons why someone would be a theist, not an atheist.

The last option is basically the only answer on this poll that can explain why someone is an atheist.

As for me, I was raised as an atheist. My dad is quite passionately anti-religion, so when I was little, he used to talk to me about why various religious beliefs are so ridiculous in his view. I have gone on being an atheist because I've never seen a good enough reason to change my mind. For me, the idea of a god existing sounds too crazy to be true.

Hopefully that answers your question. ^.^
[+] 5 users Like AnaBunny's post
04-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I am atheist.
I never became an atheist. I never became anything, as such. I started out atheist and have never encountered a reasonable need to alter that intrinsic aspect of my make up.

Also...
If I was to be an atheist, I would be me, with someone's arbitrary label ... whoever that is.
I can accept a label, if such a label helps others to understand my perspective but, such acceptance must be on my terms - the individual.

I am atheist. I'm me, without god.
Your label, my terms.

The mind is elastic.
Being human means change - we are mini evolution.

I'm not sure pinpointing the self so exactly is very productive but hey - yay pedantry! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-03-2017, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 12:33 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I was raised highly religious...Southern Baptist (evangelical, literalist, inerrantist Protestant Christian), and studied both the Bible and our theological position quite intently for many years. Then I was taught how to prove all the other religions of the world, including the dreaded Catholicism, were false. I was very bright, learned swiftly and well, and was a rising star within my community. Many thought I'd become a Christian writer or apologist.

But I grew up with no cable TV in the house, to shelter me from "The World" and its Satanic influence. As a result, I became a voracious reader. I learned much more, enough to figure out my church was (probably not intentionally) lying to me about science, whenever it conflicted with their narrow literalist interpretation of scripture.

Once I realized they were mistaken on that level (or simply lying), I began to investigate what ELSE my church might be mistaken or lying about. I turned the anti-false-religion brain weapons I had learned onto my own faith, and in the words of the late, great Douglas Adams...

"God promptly vanished in a puff of logic."

Almost everything that underlies Christianity is wrong. Not only do they totally mistake what the Jews were writing in the Torah, when they tried to retrofit prophecies to make the Jesus legend seem prophesied, the scientific evidence is overwhelming that most of the stories they lifted the prophecies from could not have happened as claimed. The whole thing is a house of cards with a borrowed magical creation mythology at its heart.

Furthermore, I realized I was too moral of a person to justify the things I read in the Bible, the alleged attributes of this being they claim deserves worship. Your God-legend is demonstrably false at almost every level, is immoral by any reasonable standard, and contains every element of standard cult brainwashing... right down to the utterly immoral threat of hellfire.

You may not believe all the Christian elements embraced by my church... Christianity is amazing in its amorphous flexibility while claiming to simultaneously be objective... it suffices to say I see right through all of you. I am too moral to worship the thankfully impossible magical being you all claim to speak with and give obesience to, and I think no intellectually honest, moral person can be a Christian.

And that is why I am no longer a Christian. Any questions?

Edit: Sorry for any Autocorrect nonsense. I'm on my phone and it fights me!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-03-2017, 11:46 AM
I couldn't find a poll answer that resonated.

I was raised in a mostly catholic household and from when I was a child I thought the concept of God was the scariest thing in the universe (next to Satan of course). I used to have horrific nightmares and I felt shut down when my mother would talk about how little freewill we actually have (so I can't take my OWN life, I will sin if I do some of the things I like, etc.) When I was 11 I found out that it was possible not to believe in God, so I immediately jumped on that train without any sort of intelligent reasoning. However, when I was a teenager I started to fall in love with philosophy and science and eventually found reasons to back up my non-belief. That just grew to the point where I started to be interested in what theists had to offer for their reasoning and I found that the arguments were incredibly fallacious, which just convinced me further.
[+] 3 users Like Larai19's post
04-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Oh, I almost forgot to add that I find your description of humanity to be deeply flawed and unscientific.

We are a social animal, and we have found that all social animals display moral behavior, and moral decision-making. Humans, being the brightest and most social, have the strongest bonds of empathy toward their fellow human beings, and unless this process is interrupted by failed genetics (such as sociopathy/psychopathy) or by being socially disconnected in a way that prevents the normal development of the ties that bind us together emotionally (including religions and other ideologies which teach "these/we are good people, and those/they are bad people"), we are amazingly good toward one another. This is borne out in study after study on the subject.

Humans are better and more morally egalitarian today than they have ever been; this is objectively verifiable by studying the per-capita rates of violent crime and other social problems, as well as attitudes toward out-groups, on the whole. It turns out that poverty and privation are the (human caused) sources of most of the "evil" behavior, born of desperation and severed social ties. None of this has to do with any sort of magical powers that cause people to act one way or another, as religion has claimed for so long.

It is disturbing to us when religionists come here and claim that we should be out living lives of antisocial or nihilistic hedonism, and that they think we should be because without religion's restraints, they would be out raping and murdering.

As others have argued, religions (especially the Christian one) seem to tell people they are foul, dirty, damaged, and then proceed to try to sell them the "cure" to the problem the religion itself invented. It does not comport with reality, except as an obvious tool of brainwashing and threat, while preying on the desire of most people to belong, socially, to the traditions of their tribal/family/social group.

But here's the Good News: you don't need magic to be good.

You just need to be encouraged, througout your upbringing, to care about others and to treat others as worthy equals, without qualification or limitation on which groups are to be considered. Taught to reject primitive thinking, from god/magic to tribalism, and be taught post-Enlightenment ideals of humanism. To "question with boldness even the existence of god", as Thomas Jefferson once put it, and not fall for the cult brainwashing techniques that exploit our social belonging instincts. If you are not indoctrinated, you will see just how shallow your veneer of religious excuses is, to the rest of us.

Then you would see why it frightens the rest of us when you make such a statement about your own proclivities for evil.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Because I noticed Buddhism, just like Christianity, Islam, Hindi, Wiccan/pagan stuff, etc. Was still all professing false claims of knowledge they had no bearing upon.

Could their elements in spite of many wrongs have positive acts, sure, there's still Zen theories and philosophies I am improved by considered, but I don't see there being a true one with things nor universal consciousness.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post