Poll: why did you become an atheist?
I disagree with the bible
I don't believe Jesus is real
I believe that GOD is a spaghetti monster
Because I have found GOD
Because I have not found GOD
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 02:31 PM
RE: WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?
(04-03-2017 11:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was raised highly religious...Southern Baptist (evangelical, literalist, inerrantist Protestant Christian), and studied both the Bible and our theological position quite intently for many years. Then I was taught how to prove all the other religions of the world, including the dreaded Catholicism, were false. I was very bright, learned swiftly and well, and was a rising star within my community. Many thought I'd become a Christian writer or apologist.

But I grew up with no cable TV in the house, to shelter me from "The World" and its Satanic influence. As a result, I became a voracious reader. I learned much more, enough to figure out my church was (probably not intentionally) lying to me about science, whenever it conflicted with their narrow literalist interpretation of scripture.

Once I realized they were mistaken on that level (or simply lying), I began to investigate what ELSE my church might be mistaken or lying about. I turned the anti-false-religion brain weapons I had learned onto my own faith, and in the words of the late, great Douglas Adams...

"God promptly vanished in a puff of logic."

Almost everything that underlies Christianity is wrong. Not only do they totally mistake what the Jews were writing in the Torah, when they tried to retrofit prophecies to make the Jesus legend seem prophesied, the scientific evidence is overwhelming that most of the stories they lifted the prophecies from could not have happened as claimed. The whole thing is a house of cards with a borrowed magical creation mythology at its heart.

Furthermore, I realized I was too moral of a person to justify the things I read in the Bible, the alleged attributes of this being they claim deserves worship. Your God-legend is demonstrably false at almost every level, is immoral by any reasonable standard, and contains every element of standard cult brainwashing... right down to the utterly immoral threat of hellfire.

You may not believe all the Christian elements embraced by my church... Christianity is amazing in its amorphous flexibility while claiming to simultaneously be objective... it suffices to say I see right through all of you. I am too moral to worship the thankfully impossible magical being you all claim to speak with and give obesience to, and I think no intellectually honest, moral person can be a Christian.

And that is why I am no longer a Christian. Any questions?

Edit: Sorry for any Autocorrect nonsense. I'm on my phone and it fights me!

(04-03-2017 12:57 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh, I almost forgot to add that I find your description of humanity to be deeply flawed and unscientific.

We are a social animal, and we have found that all social animals display moral behavior, and moral decision-making. Humans, being the brightest and most social, have the strongest bonds of empathy toward their fellow human beings, and unless this process is interrupted by failed genetics (such as sociopathy/psychopathy) or by being socially disconnected in a way that prevents the normal development of the ties that bind us together emotionally (including religions and other ideologies which teach "these/we are good people, and those/they are bad people"), we are amazingly good toward one another. This is borne out in study after study on the subject.

Humans are better and more morally egalitarian today than they have ever been; this is objectively verifiable by studying the per-capita rates of violent crime and other social problems, as well as attitudes toward out-groups, on the whole. It turns out that poverty and privation are the (human caused) sources of most of the "evil" behavior, born of desperation and severed social ties. None of this has to do with any sort of magical powers that cause people to act one way or another, as religion has claimed for so long.

It is disturbing to us when religionists come here and claim that we should be out living lives of antisocial or nihilistic hedonism, and that they think we should be because without religion's restraints, they would be out raping and murdering.

As others have argued, religions (especially the Christian one) seem to tell people they are foul, dirty, damaged, and then proceed to try to sell them the "cure" to the problem the religion itself invented. It does not comport with reality, except as an obvious tool of brainwashing and threat, while preying on the desire of most people to belong, socially, to the traditions of their tribal/family/social group.

But here's the Good News: you don't need magic to be good.

You just need to be encouraged, througout your upbringing, to care about others and to treat others as worthy equals, without qualification or limitation on which groups are to be considered. Taught to reject primitive thinking, from god/magic to tribalism, and be taught post-Enlightenment ideals of humanism. To "question with boldness even the existence of god", as Thomas Jefferson once put it, and not fall for the cult brainwashing techniques that exploit our social belonging instincts. If you are not indoctrinated, you will see just how shallow your veneer of religious excuses is, to the rest of us.

Then you would see why it frightens the rest of us when you make such a statement about your own proclivities for evil.

Very well written and accurate. Couldn't agree more.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Everyone is born with no faith.
We do not "become atheists".
If you are a believer, someone indoctrinated you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(04-03-2017 12:24 AM)DEATH Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 12:19 AM)skyking Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.
Your poll lacks a choice for me
I was never a theist to begin with, so I did not become an atheist.

The question applies to atheists only. I've never been an atheist to begin with either. I just wanna see some atheists answer without falling into any stereotypical category.

All are born atheist.....

Any religion you pick up on the way is just regional contamination.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-03-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm an atheist because there is no God.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
04-03-2017, 07:18 PM
[Image: atheism-its-delicious-640x512.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
05-03-2017, 07:55 AM
(04-03-2017 11:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was raised highly religious...Southern Baptist (evangelical, literalist, inerrantist Protestant Christian), and studied both the Bible and our theological position quite intently for many years. Then I was taught how to prove all the other religions of the world, including the dreaded Catholicism, were false. I was very bright, learned swiftly and well, and was a rising star within my community. Many thought I'd become a Christian writer or apologist.

But I grew up with no cable TV in the house, to shelter me from "The World" and its Satanic influence. As a result, I became a voracious reader. I learned much more, enough to figure out my church was (probably not intentionally) lying to me about science, whenever it conflicted with their narrow literalist interpretation of scripture.

Once I realized they were mistaken on that level (or simply lying), I began to investigate what ELSE my church might be mistaken or lying about. I turned the anti-false-religion brain weapons I had learned onto my own faith, and in the words of the late, great Douglas Adams...

"God promptly vanished in a puff of logic."

Almost everything that underlies Christianity is wrong. Not only do they totally mistake what the Jews were writing in the Torah, when they tried to retrofit prophecies to make the Jesus legend seem prophesied, the scientific evidence is overwhelming that most of the stories they lifted the prophecies from could not have happened as claimed. The whole thing is a house of cards with a borrowed magical creation mythology at its heart.

Furthermore, I realized I was too moral of a person to justify the things I read in the Bible, the alleged attributes of this being they claim deserves worship. Your God-legend is demonstrably false at almost every level, is immoral by any reasonable standard, and contains every element of standard cult brainwashing... right down to the utterly immoral threat of hellfire.

You may not believe all the Christian elements embraced by my church... Christianity is amazing in its amorphous flexibility while claiming to simultaneously be objective... it suffices to say I see right through all of you. I am too moral to worship the thankfully impossible magical being you all claim to speak with and give obesience to, and I think no intellectually honest, moral person can be a Christian.

And that is why I am no longer a Christian. Any questions?

Edit: Sorry for any Autocorrect nonsense. I'm on my phone and it fights me!

Your post reminded me of how I read through the entire bible when I was 17-18. I didn't have an "aha!" moment immediately. What I had was a realization that there was no secret or profound knowledge in it, that I had done something most Christians don't do by reading the whole thing front to back and that the pastors that I was listening to didn't have anything profound from that book to back up what we believed.

This was a slow process where I realized those in authority that I respected didn't really have anything new or profound to provide, the pastors; and other Christian authorities, were slowly removed from their podium of profundity and slowly put into the cheap seats like the rest of us.

Perhaps it was even more profound than that, at some point where there were no pastors that were deserving of respect, because they were preaching from this flawed book. I began to think that not only did these pastors have no deep insight, but the writers of the bible didn't have any great insights. That was when the doubts really creeped in, because of things like 6 literal days of creation were obviously an example of biblical writers that had a horrendous understanding of scientific knowledge, they were unquestionably ignorant about what we knew of the cosmos. Verses about stars falling to Earth illustrated how out of kilter their knowledge of reality was.

It finally hit me that I knew and understood reality and how it worked better than any biblical writer did, their knowledge of reality and how it worked was inferior to even a grade school level of knowledge.

When the writers of the bible are taken off of their pedestal and are seen as nothing more than mortal men making mistakes just like the rest us, what is left of Christian theology? Not much, it's reduced to just another story that some very ignorant people told other people.

Apologists were people making excuses for this ignorance of the biblical writers, they attempt to compel people to read things into the bible that aren't really there. Every bit of it is post-hoc rationalization, an attempt at repairing a broken book and proffering an intellectual con job upon people that are honestly looking for answers. That's why apologists piss me off!

What they are doing is fundamentally deceptive on so many levels. The deliberate con-artist is almost impossible to discern from the honest believer that's desperately trying to find answers. Is Ken Ham or Joel Osteen a con-artist or an honest person? Does it matter which one?

Either answer to this ends with them leading people into a false world view and convinces people to give them money.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 9 users Like TheInquisition's post
05-03-2017, 08:34 AM
(04-03-2017 12:57 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It is disturbing to us when religionists come here and claim that we should be out living lives of antisocial or nihilistic hedonism, and that they think we should be because without religion's restraints, they would be out raping and murdering.

This type of thinking is what lead me to the path of non-belief. I was raised S Baptist, indoctrinated in Christian schools etc. I had heard that without the religious teachings i.e. 10 commandments people would be as RocketSurgeon describes. Then one day I heard a philosophical discussion about early philosophers arguing people didn't need religion to be morally good. Being interested in philosophy and psychology I started doing some research. That was the beginning of the end for me. I remember being warned by my mom and believers that I should be careful reading magazines like Psychology Today. I'm so glad my stubborn gene kicked in!
[+] 8 users Like mustardseed's post
05-03-2017, 10:05 AM
(04-03-2017 06:26 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons and I heard that you needed to be a devil worshipping atheist to do that.

[Image: post-50334-well-played-gif-Imgur-meme-jay-mkAw.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-03-2017, 11:27 AM
(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  Buddhists are no longer peaceful people and it has made me realize that we are all just savages. Every single one of us, no matter how passive you are. Your bloodline is built in bloodshed. War, evil, pacifism is our nature. The weak savages will always die, the stronger ones will always kill them.

Sometimes that's a good thing. The Allies "out-savaged" the Nazis and that's why we have democracy.
It's true those with power will dominate those without, but being weak isn't necessarily proof of morality.

Quote:It's also opened up my eyes in understanding why people love Christ so much. He doesn't have a history of violence. He wins by default.

Well, he died violently and some people certainly calls it a win.

Quote:Why are you an atheist?

Because none of the many, many religions have offered a single argument supporting their narrow worldview, or a single reason why we should even want to share it.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
05-03-2017, 11:33 AM
(05-03-2017 11:27 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Sometimes that's a good thing. The Allies "out-savaged" the Nazis and that's why we have democracy.

It's Nazis who "out-savaged" the Allies. Allies just had better economies and more manpower.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post