Poll: why did you become an atheist?
I disagree with the bible
I don't believe Jesus is real
I believe that GOD is a spaghetti monster
Because I have found GOD
Because I have not found GOD
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: WHY DID YOU BECOME AN ATHEIST?
Quote:It's Nazis who "out-savaged" the Allies. Allies just had better economies and more manpower.

Bad wordplay by me.
My point was that "we" won on the battlefield. They were weaker, we beat them and the world is better place.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
05-03-2017, 11:52 AM
(05-03-2017 11:44 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  
Quote:It's Nazis who "out-savaged" the Allies. Allies just had better economies and more manpower.

Bad wordplay by me.
My point was that "we" won on the battlefield. They were weaker, we beat them and the world is better place.

I would say that mostly in factories considering the percentage of German and Russian casualties - it was Reich that had better commanders I think. They were defeated more by economy and numbers than strategical genius of opposing forces.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-03-2017, 12:03 PM
(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  Why are you an atheist?

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit." -- Richard Pryor

I'm an atheist because my bullshit detector works well.

(03-03-2017 11:53 PM)DEATH Wrote:  I expect the typical 20th century white american European response but I can't predict the future....

[Image: 2598tae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-03-2017, 12:09 PM
(05-03-2017 11:44 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  

Bad wordplay by me.

You're both correct, in a way, and it shows the point that our OP was missing.

The Nazis win in savagery by the OP's standard, yes... but that's not all humans are. We're cooperative, social animals. The group that cooperates better is more effective in warfare, and that includes economies. We managed to cooperate with the Soviet communists, of all people, and shipped them millions of guns, tanks, trucks, and planes so they could push back the Nazi armies.

The hunter-gatherer tribe that has fewer selfish members is going to survive better in the face of violent but individualistic competition. Evolution strongly favored our cooperative, empathic-yet-tribalistic nature for thousands of generations.

This may even be the basis of the relative ubiquity of religion among human societies, since those who had a unifying principle/identity (such as those given by religious ideology) would have had a competitive advantage, in that respect. The tendency to believe that which Our Tribe's authorities--or any who can sound like they know what they're talking about, even when they're full of shit--tell us is The Truth™ is a tendency that is routinely studied and then exploited by politicians and advertisers.

Even when those bullshitters are telling their flocks things that are demonstrably untrue, such as the whole "human nature is terrible" thing, the social group-think and cognitive biases built into humanity tends to let that kind of message (especially if repeated constantly) slip by our bullshit filters... and then after a time, it becomes so entrenched into your identity ("I am what I believe") that you can't even face the facts when presented with them by skeptics who did not drink the same Kool-Aid that you did.

We will never get through to such people because they cannot admit they have been gullible, and would prefer to maintain the security blanket of preferred lies that they have built up around their psyche, rather than to face simple reality.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. And so you get what we got here last week...which is the way he wants it! Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Quote:I would say that mostly in factories considering the percentage of German and Russian casualties - it was Reich that had better commanders I think. They were defeated more by economy and numbers than strategical genius of opposing forces.

I'm inclined to agree.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
05-03-2017, 02:56 PM
For the hot chicks.

#sigh
05-03-2017, 03:00 PM
(04-03-2017 05:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Example: Mormonism, where one day (conveniently just after the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964) their current head prophet got a communique from god, telling him that blacks were people too. Rolleyes

The Mormons always have been at the forefront of social progressive change. Just look at polygamy.

#sigh
05-03-2017, 03:05 PM
(05-03-2017 02:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For the hot chicks.

Dodgy Is your Catholic wife aware of this? <taps foot waiting for the answer>

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
(05-03-2017 03:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 02:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For the hot chicks.

Dodgy Is your Catholic wife aware of this? <taps foot waiting for the answer>

She insists on control of the little blue pills.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-03-2017, 03:12 PM
(05-03-2017 11:52 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that mostly in factories considering the percentage of German and Russian casualties - it was Reich that had better commanders I think. They were defeated more by economy and numbers than strategical genius of opposing forces.

32.000 kilometers of front lines to hold and supply by an army of give or take 10 millions. The commanders didn't matter much in the later stages, since Hitler was calling the shots, overruling the professionals.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post