WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 07:36 PM
WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?
I think it is so they can justify killing each other... among other evil shit.

Discuss. Tell me. All this "god belief" has done for several thousand years, is kill our own kind.

Humanity is capable of so much. How do some not see this?

This god belief continually dashes the swiftness of humanity, our love, our beauty; this god thing only speeds us toward our demise as a species. We kill each other... with the "blessing" of this thing called god.

Why do some so readily accept this? Is it just because its so easy?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 03:07 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?
It's fear, plain and simple. Fear of the unknown and fear of our own imagination. Religion answers fear.

Once self preservation was a motivator for fear and assisted evolution, but then we evolved into societies in which we were safer from the world around us, we turned this fear onto ourselves and our own differences. Our basic instincts are still to lash out at what we are threatened by.

It's sad, we really should be beyond this shit by now....

Edit: for clarity.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
17-07-2014, 07:59 PM
(17-07-2014 07:36 PM)kim Wrote:  I think it is so they can justify killing each other... among other evil shit.

Discuss. Tell me. All this "god belief" has done for several thousand years, is kill our own kind.

This god belief continually dashes the swiftness of humanity, our love, our beauty; this god thing only speeds us toward our demise as a species. We kill each other... with the "blessing" of this thing called god.

I don't think the belief in deities is simply to justify killing people or other evils, though it is often both an instigator and a justification for such actions.

It is my guess that those who think they need a god are succumbing to perceived societal pressure and indoctrination, even if neither factor are direct.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-07-2014, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2014 08:08 PM by Mr Woof.)
(17-07-2014 07:36 PM)kim Wrote:  I think it is so they can justify killing each other... among other evil shit.

Perhaps our egos in thinking we are absolutely right in our behaviour, relevant to religious dogma, leads us to think we can crush all opposition by genocide.
Blaise Pascal stated that man acts most violently through religious conviction.
We all want to follow "rightiousness" or popularity: to fit in, to be liked or admiredConfusedo we become very desperate to belong to the right group: be that group, political, religious or social.

Of course fascism, communism, and other lesser political ideologies use different ploys in having us toe the line, serve "the good" etc.
A bit like Pavlov's dogs.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
17-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Disagree. Religion exists to (pretend to) answer questions and make people feel better (ie about dying and inequality and shit).

That it's an awfully convenient channel for social control is a side-effect.

That people are prone to killing each other over differences of opinion is a separate matter. But no one can say there hasn't been plenty of conflict over non-religious disputes...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
17-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Some people simply need to be told what to do. They cannot figure it out for themselves, and need the stability of someone else's decisions.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
17-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I think most just grow up in that situation and want/need to fit in. Then their social life gets all entangled with church activities, and then they find it's all they can cling to during adversity. It's presented as and becomes their rock, the stable thing in life. God is the confidant. The friend who is always there...their lives may go haywire, but it all makes sense because there is a purpose, god's purpose, so they bear whatever they have to bear to reap the big reward at the end.

I know bunches of people who are like that...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-07-2014, 08:57 PM
(17-07-2014 08:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Disagree. Religion exists to (pretend to) answer questions and make people feel better (ie about dying and inequality and shit).

That it's an awfully convenient channel for social control is a side-effect.

That people are prone to killing each other over differences of opinion is a separate matter. But no one can say there hasn't been plenty of conflict over non-religious disputes...

I think it's ability to control people is why it's been so pervasive through the centuries, the might of the Roman empire propelled Christianity from a small cult to a dominating force that plagues the present day.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
17-07-2014, 09:18 PM
(17-07-2014 08:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ---

True.
But non-religious conflicts seem to need no justification from a god. We seem to handle that pretty well.

Why all the pretense of "holy" war, then? Why not just say we feel like killing those people because they are backward or, stupid ... or... not doing what we ... need them to do?

Has politics made humanity so disingenuous?
Is this god thing the ultimate scapegoat/savior?

Personally, I think the god thing is a human construct.
Humans must begin to see the need to take responsibility for the destruction of their own species.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I suspect it's a primal evolved trait to form a shared conscience.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post