WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 10:31 PM
RE: WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?
(17-07-2014 07:36 PM)kim Wrote:  I think it is so they can justify killing each other... among other evil shit.

Discuss. Tell me. All this "god belief" has done for several thousand years, is kill our own kind.

Humanity is capable of so much. How do some not see this?

This god belief continually dashes the swiftness of humanity, our love, our beauty; this god thing only speeds us toward our demise as a species. We kill each other... with the "blessing" of this thing called god.

Why do some so readily accept this? Is it just because its so easy?

It's a combination of a lot of things. I think the deity thing originates in the obsession of having to have an answer for everything. Considering that modern man has existed for somewhere around 2 million years, we've had a looooong part of our history where we did not understand what causes things like thunderstorms, hurricanes, tidal waves and things like that. So supernatural explanations were something that people believed in out of ignorance, because at the very least, it gave them an explanation to point to.

When deities stopped being just an explanation and turned into organized religion, that is when things got really bad. It was no longer a thing of "appease the gods to keep disasters from happening to us". It became a control tool and a moneymaker. The last thing a religious organization wants is for you to derail their gravy train. That's why they make sure you get indoctrinated from the beginning, and promise you this nice little reward at the end for spending your life as one of their sheep.

The part that has caused the most evil is the justifying of evil deeds on the grounds of religious reasons. "Thou shalt not kill" is totally expendable when it comes to dealing with people who do not share your religious beliefs, because, after all, your morals come from God, and without your belief in him you have no morals. So if THESE people don't believe in God, then they are obviously evil heathens. Hell, the Bible has so much evil shit condoned in it, and so many contradictions, that a person would have no difficulty justifying a countless number of horrendously evil acts by pointing to Bible passasges. It has become the most harmful not only for violence, but for the erosion of progress made. I can't even imagine how much farther our society would presently have progressed if we didn't have religion destroying technological advances all these years because it didn't fall in line with that religion's beliefs.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
17-07-2014, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2014 10:37 PM by kim.)
(17-07-2014 09:34 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I suspect it's a primal evolved trait to form a shared conscience.

Because of some specific duality experience?

Interesting. But.. i am drunk ... you have the floor, mon ami.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-07-2014, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 01:18 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: WHY DO HUMANS THINK THEY NEED TO BELIEVE GOD EXISTS?
Because those that are raised and indoctrinated into a worldview that must submit to a higher authority all their life can't fathom the lack of any ultimate authority.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Organized religion is just another tool of government, historically a very effective one. War is also a useful tool if you're doing it right - unify your country internally to face an external threat, even if the "threat" is a manufactured one. So religion + war = good times for politicians.

The beauty of religion is that it's this jury rigged ready-built power structure that people will subscribe to on their own. It's not like a political party who want to *convince* people that they are the ones who should be making decisions. You just supply the right prompts and people fall over themselves to sign up for religion, and don't look the product over too closely either.

What religion offers is also tempting. Unquestioned inclusion within the group. Not to mention eternal life and 72 virgins (though I don't think ol' prophet M thought that one through).

All ya gotta do is surrender your decision making, which, let's face it, making decisions about life things is scary so a lot of people are 100% chuffed to let "God" (i.e. Pastor X) take care of that aspect of stuff. People *want* to be deluded...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-07-2014, 01:21 AM
I covered this in my article, Psychology of Faith: The Human Quest for Meaning

Quote: All but a handful of scholars in this area regard religion as an accidental byproduct of our mental evolution. Specifically, religious thought is usually portrayed by scholars as having no particular adaptive biological function in itself, but instead it’s viewed as a leftover of other psychological adaptations. . . .
. . . The private perception of being intelligently designed, monitored, and known about by a God who actively punished and rewarded our intentions and behaviors would have helped stomp out the frequency and intensity of our ancestors’ immoral hiccups and would have been strongly favored by natural selection.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2014, 07:33 AM
(17-07-2014 07:36 PM)kim Wrote:  I think it is so they can justify killing each other... among other evil shit.

Discuss. Tell me. All this "god belief" has done for several thousand years, is kill our own kind.

This god belief continually dashes the swiftness of humanity, our love, our beauty; this god thing only speeds us toward our demise as a species. We kill each other... with the "blessing" of this thing called god.

Dr. Andy Thompson wrote a small but good book on this.

People want a god who loves as an eternal caregiver. An eternal parent who cares for you. He points out the similarities between a pens costal raising their arms to the sky and a two year old in a "pick me up" posture to their parents.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
18-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I think the closest thing you'll get to an all-encompassing answer is what Evenheathen said: fear. Those who were taught as children were taught to fear hell and to not leave the fold. Those who came in later were likely looking to fill some void or unknown.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-07-2014, 12:41 PM

I just finished reading over judges and that's all I saw. Them giving themselves a reason for killing people. And then they had the nerve to feel bad afterwords and ask their God why did he make them do that. Some scary stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
19-07-2014, 07:00 AM
I think it's because of a few reasons. It makes them feel special if we are told we are God's children etc. People don't like to take responsibility for themselves and like the idea of God directing their path in life and the idea of destiny etc. People like the comfort of thinking they will see their loved ones again in heaven. But the big one is fear. We have no idea what will happen when we die, religion gives a comforting answer and tells us that death is not the end of us which is a comforting thought. Oh and talking of fear, some people might believe in God because of blackmail. Believe in me or spend eternity being tortured.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
19-07-2014, 07:57 AM
I would say Even has it right. Its fear of the unknown. And when you have an unknown, it can be anything, so to counter an unknown of potentially infinite size you have to create an infinitely large and powerful god that has authority over your fear.

Its basically a mental trick that unfortunately has other negative consequences. It robs you of reality and puts your mind in a delusional state. In this state of delusion, you can commit horrible crimes and or simply lose the capacity to make sound, reasonable decisions. You can be manipulated to give up a portion of your wealth and with some cults, all of it.

Its just a lose lose situation

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results