WHat? To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up the right to under

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2013 01:23 PM by kim.)
WHat? To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up the right to under
"To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up the right to understand?" No
To me, this is shitty advice. It's saying, if you don't understand, give up the knowledge to understand....

This is from a Christian Pastor. Does't this apply to non Christians>? Thoughts???Drinking Beverage

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2013, 11:03 AM
WHat? To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up
If you don't think about it, then it will make perfect sense.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 8 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
26-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Re
Quote:"Give me your money and stop asking questions about how much this suit costs."

There I fixed it for you.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
26-06-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: WHat?
There is no "right" to understand. Understanding is something humans either do or don't, can or can't. What we do have a right to is questioning. We might never truly understand how reality came into existence, but we should ask how regardless. We have a right, if not a duty, to question whenever we see it fit to do so.

There, I just gave infinitely better wisdom than the pastor, who basically just did a variation on "sit down and shut up, stop asking questions."

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
26-06-2013, 01:32 PM
WHat? Some fucktard said something stupid.
(26-06-2013 10:50 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  "To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up the right to understand?" No
To me, this is shitty advice. It's saying, if you don't understand, give up the knowledge to understand....

This is from a Christian Pastor. Does't this apply to non Christians>? Thoughts???Drinking Beverage

Uh... No I'm with you on that head shake, CaffPup.

I think your pastor's Messiah complex is kicking in. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-06-2013, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2013 02:07 PM by houseofcantor.)
give up the right to title
Thoughts?

MOTHERFUCKER. DO NOT USE MORE THAN EIGHTY CHARACTERS TO MAKE A MOTHERFUCKING THREAD TITLE! Angry

Oh? That other stuff? Typical bullshit. Where's that hypnotoad?

[Image: image_zpsf98f6a5a.jpg]

RELAX. DO NOT QUESTION. DO NOT QUESTION THAT YOU MAY NOT QUESTION. DO NOT QUESTION THE QUESTION THAT YOU MAY NOT QUESTION. QUESTIONS DO NOT ANSWER, ANSWERS DO NOT QUESTION, YOU ARE THE ANSWER. RELAX.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-06-2013, 04:45 PM
RE: WHat? To have the peace that passes understanding ...
Ignorance is bliss. ... and dangerous and deadly.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Ya know, that toad does alla kinda weird shit, if'n ya play with the scroll wheel. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
26-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Apparently the subject is too long so now I have shortened it
I think what the quote means is this:

If you want the peace of mind from understanding something, give up the ability to understand, so then you won't even worry about understanding, so you will be ignorant. Ignorance is bliss.

Or something like that idontknowwhatthefuckimtalkingabout Dodgy
26-06-2013, 05:24 PM
(26-06-2013 10:50 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  "To have the peace that passes understanding you must give up the right to understand?" No

Yeah, it's a bad advice. I have experienced this peace and it requires some years of meditation and to get pretty deep into mystical experiences.
If you do it right, you often achieve this state of consciousness. It feels pretty good and it doesn't last forever. The rest of the time you're either normal with normal educated understanding, or you have a contemplative mystical experience, in which your understanding may actually be superior. I often write forum posts when tripping like that. Everything is a network of interwoven meaning.
(Yeah, HoC's hypno toad picture is pretty accurate! Drooling )

And I'm not Christian. If Christianity is selling that tho you, don't buy it. Become open-source, that's the only way Wink