WTF Don't even know where to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: WTF Don't even know where to start
(16-04-2014 10:07 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 09:43 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Snopes to the rescue.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/memorial.asp

Includes the text of the original speech, including this line; "No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory."

There is no "so help us god' in the original text of the speech, nor is that line even on the memorial.

Please tell your father that he is repeating a known lie. He is making Jesus cry.

.... erm, snopes HAS "so help us god" in the original text of the speech... just four sentences later. They even highlighted it for us.

Sorry. I seem to be in fact-check mode today. I blame the stuff that I've been procrastinating on.
It's not in the part that is actually on the memorial though.

This site has a photocopy and audio of the actual speech. It does have the "so help us God", but not in the sentence that is on the memorial.
http://library.umkc.edu/spec-col/ww2/pea...speech.htm

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
16-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Quote:I used to respond to "all" and challange line by line but then I had 25 people e-mailing me and telling me I was going to hell and all that bullshit so now I just delete.

There's your mistake. Instead of deleting or arguing just reply by saying "Please stop sending your god nonsense. I am not interested in your bullshit. If you continue, your emails will be marked as SPAM."

They really don't like it when you directly insult their magic boy.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
16-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Just reply about how "God" is in your pledge of allegiance and national anthem (going out on a limb here and assuming it's in your anthem) when supposedly religion is suppose to be separate from the state. Not to mention the countless times your President mentions God in his speeches.

And than just go on a huge completely unrelated speal about how they're insensitive bad people because they're oppressing minority religions in your country and how they should all be ashamed of themselves and how it's not very "christian" of them. Blah blah blah. Just lay the guilt on thick.

Than once you've finished with that just verbally abuse the shit out them.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
16-04-2014, 11:56 AM
I had a similar problem with my father in law forwarding anti-Obama political emails. I don't know if he thought he was going to convince me of something or if he was just hitting "forward all" on his email setting. I'm not even an "Obama supporter", but I sure as hell wasn't going to vote for Mitt Romney, but to him if you ain't republican then you're a damn dirty democrat. Laugh out load

I tried replying to his chain emails at first, but the man is seriously never going to entertain a fact which might dispute something he "knows" is true. So, I tried sending him the link to snopes.com. That didn't work either. Finally I went to his facebook page, posted a link to snopes.com on his wall with the comment "if you got it in your email inbox, the chances of it being true are zero, look it up here first", and privately messaged him that if I got another chain email I was going to block him. That's what worked. He doesn't even post them on his facebook page anymore unless they are about Hispanics. Dude has a serious problem with brown skin an a funny accent. Actually I know the source of this particular psychosis and he is drastically projecting something that happened to him to avoid dealing with the emotional reality. But that's another story.
[+] 1 user Likes Mat0816's post
16-04-2014, 12:01 PM
(16-04-2014 10:42 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I used to respond to "all" and challange line by line but then I had 25 people e-mailing me and telling me I was going to hell and all that bullshit so now I just delete.

There's your mistake. Instead of deleting or arguing just reply by saying "Please stop sending your god nonsense. I am not interested in your bullshit. If you continue, your emails will be marked as SPAM."

They really don't like it when you directly insult their magic boy.

Hey Min, yeah, I did that too but didn't mention it. Did it stop them? Of course not and I don't think any directly responded to me.

I sent to my dad and uncle the version on post #3, let me see if they respond to that one.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-04-2014, 12:07 PM
(16-04-2014 11:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just reply about how "God" is in your pledge of allegiance and national anthem (going out on a limb here and assuming it's in your anthem) when supposedly religion is suppose to be separate from the state. Not to mention the countless times your President mentions God in his speeches.

And than just go on a huge completely unrelated speal about how they're insensitive bad people because they're oppressing minority religions in your country and how they should all be ashamed of themselves and how it's not very "christian" of them. Blah blah blah. Just lay the guilt on thick.

Than once you've finished with that just verbally abuse the shit out them.

In the pledge but not the anthem, the anthem just talks about rocket's red glare and bombs bursting in air...we 'Muricas love our rockets.

Instead of guilt I attack their intelligence, with my dad and uncle that really annoys them Evil_monster as they seem to think they know more than 99.9% of the population. Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-04-2014, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 12:46 PM by Full Circle.)
(16-04-2014 11:56 AM)Mat0816 Wrote:  I had a similar problem with my father in law forwarding anti-Obama political emails. I don't know if he thought he was going to convince me of something or if he was just hitting "forward all" on his email setting. I'm not even an "Obama supporter", but I sure as hell wasn't going to vote for Mitt Romney, but to him if you ain't republican then you're a damn dirty democrat. Laugh out load

I tried replying to his chain emails at first, but the man is seriously never going to entertain a fact which might dispute something he "knows" is true. So, I tried sending him the link to snopes.com. That didn't work either. Finally I went to his facebook page, posted a link to snopes.com on his wall with the comment "if you got it in your email inbox, the chances of it being true are zero, look it up here first", and privately messaged him that if I got another chain email I was going to block him. That's what worked. He doesn't even post them on his facebook page anymore unless they are about Hispanics. Dude has a serious problem with brown skin an a funny accent. Actually I know the source of this particular psychosis and he is drastically projecting something that happened to him to avoid dealing with the emotional reality. But that's another story.

Good move. Both my parents are blocked from my FB page already and I told them why.

Your dad would have an issue with me too then. Drinking Beverage

16-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Send them this challenge from Dan Barker at FFRF.

Easter challenge for Christians

from facebook:

FFRF Co-President Dan Barker, who was an evangelical preacher for seventeen years, has an Easter challenge for Christians.
“My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born.
Believers should eagerly take up this challenge, since without the resurrection, there is no Christianity.
In each of the four Gospels, begin at Easter morning and read to the end of the book: Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21. Also read Acts 1:3-12 and Paul's tiny version of the story in I Corinthians 15:3-8. These 165 verses can be read in a few moments. Then, without omitting a single detail from these separate accounts, write a simple, chronological narrative of the events between the resurrection and the ascension: what happened first, second, and so on; who said what, when; and where these things happened.”

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Why not simply return the email with the correct information?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-04-2014, 05:03 PM
(16-04-2014 04:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Why not simply return the email with the correct information?

That's what I did hours ago to both my dad and uncle including the link to Snopes.
Then I sent a follow up with the link Impulse gave me with the following:

Listen to FDR's speech and read original document.
How can someone as smart as you not fact check? I simply don't understand.

That was over four hours ago, still waiting.