WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 01:35 PM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(28-02-2016 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It almost sounds like you're...playing victim Consider Even when you haven't been victimized in this thread Consider

(I am being blunt in making my point. You are quick to assume that being disagreed with about feminism, makes you a misogynist)

Nope. I'm not a victim. But I can still be annoyed by things. Difference between a victim and being annoyed is I dont let it stop me from doing what I want. Wink but Kudos for trying. lol.

At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism.

"At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism."

But you're not even trying to understand what feminism is for those of us claiming that title in this thread. You are determined to let the extremists paint your image of the word "feminism" and then it is "too hell with it" because of that.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
28-02-2016, 01:40 PM
(28-02-2016 01:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Nope. I'm not a victim. But I can still be annoyed by things. Difference between a victim and being annoyed is I dont let it stop me from doing what I want. Wink but Kudos for trying. lol.

At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism.

"At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism."

But you're not even trying to understand what feminism is for those of us claiming that title in this thread. You are determined to let the extremists paint your image of the word "feminism" and then it is "too hell with it" because of that.

Dude you are exactly in-line with the perception I already had of feminists. Don't worry about it.
28-02-2016, 01:44 PM
(28-02-2016 01:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Nope. I'm not a victim. But I can still be annoyed by things. Difference between a victim and being annoyed is I dont let it stop me from doing what I want. Wink but Kudos for trying. lol.

Look. I get what you guys are trying to do at the base of it all. But humanism covers that for me.

You claim this extremism isnt an issue. But it is. When I see Laci Greene for example on MTV pushing for these things I can't ignore it and say its not a problem.
28-02-2016, 01:48 PM
(28-02-2016 01:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism."

Look. I get what you guys are trying to do at the base of it all. But humanism covers that for me.

You claim this extremism isnt an issue. But it is. When I see Laci Greene for example on MTV pushing for these things I can't ignore it and say its not a problem.

Did anyone say extremists aren't a problem? No. What we are saying is that extremists are a product of the problem

-Rick
28-02-2016, 01:53 PM
(28-02-2016 01:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "At the end of the day, if feminism and humanism are so interchangable, Ill just stick with humanism. You guys can have feminism."

The reason I'm persistent on this is that when people keep allowing the extremists to be their representation of a group, they are not helping in addressing the problem that created the extremists.

I don't think religious extremists are the problem, I think they are a symptom of it (religion). Only addressing extremists with respect to religion, ignores the problems created by religion.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-02-2016, 01:54 PM
(28-02-2016 01:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Look. I get what you guys are trying to do at the base of it all. But humanism covers that for me.

Did anyone say extremists aren't a problem? No. What we are saying is that extremists are a product of the problem

See this debate is actually pointless. There is no objective metric to determine extremists, and futher no objective way to measure their percentage of the whole.

I'm not convinced that it's a vocal minority. You aren't convinced that indeed all feminists hold a poisonous ideology. There's nothing to be gained by arguing about what is or isn't the majority or minority.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 01:54 PM

There is a good reason to abandon the word. The word has been successfully hijacked by extremists which has damaged the reputation of "feminists". I would say I am a feminist by the definition of someone who wants women to have the same rights and opportunities as men, but I don't want the label. The label has negative connotations that do not apply to me.

It's for the same reason why most people don't describe themselves as a redneck, or a negro, or dumb. The terms have negative connotations which people don't want to associate themselves with, although they still may be southern, black, or unable to speak.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-02-2016, 02:03 PM
(28-02-2016 09:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Nothing happened to the feminist movement. That is an asinine assumption to make that because some people have taken extreme stances, that they've "hijacked" an entire movement.

Feminism is still alive and well and trying to promote equality of, get this, EVERYONE by balancing out the disparity between male and female.

I'm a feminist. I'm a humanist. These aren't incompatible.

As for the "shit tons" of the people who've taken extreme stances, there are more that haven't. There are a lot of misogynists out there to. Who cares? What point does this make? These people are real?

There are a "shit ton" of "men's rights" activists out there too. And a "shit ton" of pro-rape groups. They are fringe groups of extremist morons. Drinking Beverage

Extremists don't get to hijack an entire group

-Rick
28-02-2016, 02:04 PM
(28-02-2016 01:54 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Did anyone say extremists aren't a problem? No. What we are saying is that extremists are a product of the problem

See this debate is actually pointless. There is no objective metric to determine extremists, and futher no objective way to measure their percentage of the whole.

I'm not convinced that it's a vocal minority. You aren't convinced that indeed all feminists hold a poisonous ideology. There's nothing to be gained by arguing about what is or isn't the majority or minority.

Yep exactly. I'm not convinced they are as minority as you think they are. There lies the problem. There is enough of a vocal minority, if that is the case, that I am very uncomfortable using the title.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-02-2016, 02:07 PM
(28-02-2016 01:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're an asshole and a moron today it seems
Thanks for playing. Just like Heatheness, you lose. Drinking Beverage

Winner? Laugh out load I'm sure if you post it often enough you might even believe it.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post