WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 08:37 AM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(28-02-2016 08:09 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  The equality of women in the workforce, in the home, in the law, in the courts, in reproductive rights, in healthcare... in life.
Can you be a little more specific? I don't see how women don't have equal rights in those areas. In the law and in the courts, it's actually men who often have the disadvantage (e.g. when it comes to child custody cases and false rape allegations).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2016, 08:40 AM
(28-02-2016 08:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:27 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Evidence please. Thx.

Well, my statement was kind of ambiguous because I don't have hard data - so what do you want evidence for? The number of people who would still call themselves feminists? The impact that they are having? The percentage of women who disavow modern feminism?

"Shitload" is not a standard unit of measurement of people.

You claim it as "the rule" instead of the exception. I ask for evidence that it is in fact the rule and not the exception.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
28-02-2016, 08:49 AM
(28-02-2016 08:09 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 07:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  What "real issues" would those be? Consider

The equality of women in the workforce, in the home, in the law, in the courts, in reproductive rights, in healthcare... in life.

I'm more sick of people pointing at a few crazies and declaring "what the fuck has happened to the feminist movement" in order to deflect from the ongoing issues women face that are still not resolved after all these decades. It's invalidating the work that the feminist movement is still doing.

In the USA men account for over 90% of all occupational deaths,

In the USA men account for over 90% of inmates,

In the USA men receive 63% longer sentences for comparable crimes,

In the USA Women are twice as likely to avoid incarceration altogether when convicted of a crime.

These statistics are all on point. 2 of 'em from the US census bureau. I will source them next time I'm at a computer.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 08:50 AM
(28-02-2016 08:40 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well, my statement was kind of ambiguous because I don't have hard data - so what do you want evidence for? The number of people who would still call themselves feminists? The impact that they are having? The percentage of women who disavow modern feminism?

You claim it as "the rule" instead of the exception. I ask for evidence that it is in fact the rule and not the exception.

And you claimed they were just the few. Evidence pls.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 08:51 AM
(28-02-2016 08:49 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:09 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  The equality of women in the workforce, in the home, in the law, in the courts, in reproductive rights, in healthcare... in life.

I'm more sick of people pointing at a few crazies and declaring "what the fuck has happened to the feminist movement" in order to deflect from the ongoing issues women face that are still not resolved after all these decades. It's invalidating the work that the feminist movement is still doing.

In the USA men account for over 90% of all occupational deaths,

In the USA Women are twice as likely to avoid incarceration altogether when convicted of a crime.

These statistics are all on point. 2 of 'em from the US census bureau. I will source them next time I'm at a computer.

Fuck off. Trying to dismiss inequality by pointing at other instances of inequality does nobody any good, you stupid wanker.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-02-2016, 08:59 AM
(28-02-2016 08:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:49 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  In the USA men account for over 90% of all occupational deaths,

Fuck off. Trying to dismiss inequality by pointing at other instances of inequality does nobody any good, you stupid wanker.

I was addressing the mention of workforce, law and courts. Take it elsewhere, guy.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 09:02 AM
(28-02-2016 08:40 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well, my statement was kind of ambiguous because I don't have hard data - so what do you want evidence for? The number of people who would still call themselves feminists? The impact that they are having? The percentage of women who disavow modern feminism?

Right - so this "rule" is not a codified thing. There was not data collection effort that I'm aware of where people tried to distinguish the percentage of people who thought of feminism in the same way it has been thought of from the 1800s (or earlier) until the age of the internet. The evidence is the organizations that currently exist, the goals of those organizations, the number of people donating money to these projects and organizations, and things like the e-zines which I made in my initial post. You could look at data like number of contributors to a kickstarter to explore feminism in video games (about 7,000), or at the number of "thumbsups" such popular "feminist' figures frequently receives- Lacigreen videos usually get about 25 thousand thumbs ups. I would love to compare that to some alternative channel that promotes more traditional feminism - but I couldn't find any. I'm sure they exist, but they are so far "off the radar" that I couldn't locate them.

Most people who want equal rights for women, also want equal rights for everyone and have since moved on to use the label of "humanism" because the goals of feminism have been largely achieved in Western countries. Women's suffrage, rights to perform virtually any job that was traditionally a "mans job", representation in government for issues that affect women, etc. I'm not saying everything is perfect. It's not. I have no figures to support that statement either.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
28-02-2016, 09:02 AM
(28-02-2016 08:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:49 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  In the USA men account for over 90% of all occupational deaths,

Well, it helps us to get a better understanding of reality, doesn't it?

How do you know he's trying to dismiss something?

EK, all you're doing is showing your own shortcomings (intellectually) and inability to have any control over your emotions.

Gilgamesh listed off some statistics. He didn't even really give his opinion, and then you lose it emotionally. Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
28-02-2016, 09:20 AM
(28-02-2016 09:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The evidence is the organizations that currently exist, the goals of those organizations, the number of people donating money to these projects and organizations, and things like the e-zines which I made in my initial post. You could look at data like number of contributors to a kickstarter to explore feminism in video games (about 7,000), or at the number of "thumbsups" such popular "feminist' figures frequently receives- Lacigreen videos usually get about 25 thousand thumbs ups. I would love to compare that to some alternative channel that promotes more traditional feminism - but I couldn't find any. I'm sure they exist, but they are so far "off the radar" that I couldn't locate them.

Yeah, 7,000 and 25,000 are great numbers and all, but they're nothing when taken out of the (presumably) millions of women in the world who would call themselves feminists.

And of course, you won't see so many rational feminists on the internet making such a huge impact exactly because modern and rational feminists realize that men's struggles are now equal to those of women. So yeah. Those extreme cases are not that many.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
28-02-2016, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 09:28 AM by ClydeLee.)
(28-02-2016 09:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fuck off. Trying to dismiss inequality by pointing at other instances of inequality does nobody any good, you stupid wanker.

Well, it helps us to get a better understanding of reality, doesn't it?

How do you know he's trying to dismiss something?

EK, all you're doing is showing your own shortcomings (intellectually) and inability to have any control over your emotions.

Gilgamesh listed off some statistics. He didn't even really give his opinion, and then you lose it emotionally. Huh
You act like they exist in a vaccum

Those wanting any exampkes, how about workforce wages that when women have a child their promotions/pay increases become less likely but when men have a child they in contrast wind up more likely than counterparts to get promoted/pay increase. Allegaged roles are outlined in the force and this effect largely would be harmful to single working women.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson