WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2016, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2016 12:05 PM by Heatheness.)
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(29-02-2016 11:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 10:43 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  See, I didn't get that.

Then you didn't pay much attention to the link or video in the openening post.

Bwhahaha... okay then, I'll make sure to contact you so you can tell me what I know and don't know next time or how much attention I paid. Facepalm

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2016, 11:59 AM
(29-02-2016 11:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 10:43 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  See, I didn't get that.

Then you didn't pay much attention to the link or video in the openening post.

The text made it clearer, but the title of the thread indicated nothing of the sort.

I mean, for future reference and all...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-02-2016, 12:06 PM
(29-02-2016 11:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 11:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Then you didn't pay much attention to the link or video in the openening post.

The text made it clearer, but the title of the thread indicated nothing of the sort.

I did read the text. j/s

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
29-02-2016, 12:41 PM
(29-02-2016 12:06 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 11:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  The text made it clearer, but the title of the thread indicated nothing of the sort.

I did read the text. j/s

Yes, but the text at least admits of a slightly more reasonable interpretation.

29-02-2016, 05:42 PM
(29-02-2016 12:41 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 12:06 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I did read the text. j/s

Yes, but the text at least admits of a slightly more reasonable interpretation.

Slightly - yes. I mean, the difference is the difference between MLK and Malcom X by my reckoning. Their both black civil rights activists, right?

29-02-2016, 05:55 PM
(28-02-2016 07:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 06:49 PM)carol Wrote:  I do not know anything about this,and am curious ... I looked online a little to see what gender bias occurs in family courts during divorce- did not find anything worthwhile- what do you have to show me?

(28-02-2016 06:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How so? Most opt for joint custody.

I really do believe that whoever is in the best interest of the children should be the bar.

It shouldn't be about the father or the mother, it should be what's best for the kids. I've seen too many times the kids get stuck in a virtual tug of war between people they shouldn't have to pick between.

(28-02-2016 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In the Peoples Republic of Maryland the custody system is highly biased in favor of which parent can best take care of the kid. Income is usually the determining factor. Not gender.

Is that so, GirlyMan? The cited studies in this article say otherwise: http://tomjameslaw.com/blog/what-judges-.../#fn-853-5

That is not consistent with my personal anecdotal observations. And I have a lot of them. Like more than a dozen. Once I get to 20-30 the central limit theorem and law of large numbers kick in.

#sigh
29-02-2016, 08:32 PM
(29-02-2016 05:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 12:41 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes, but the text at least admits of a slightly more reasonable interpretation.

Slightly - yes. I mean, the difference is the difference between MLK and Malcom X by my reckoning. Their both black civil rights activists, right?

My reckoning is the difference of those two have historically become more overblown in a perception building scope. And later before their ends there was more intermingling of their supposed separate approaches.

But the perceptions to people seem to be what wins out for some reason

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-02-2016, 10:20 PM
(28-02-2016 07:32 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  All of you have probably seen what it looks like these days. It's grotesque. It's dishonest. It's the kind of thing I imagine most women would be ashamed of. I'm a bit embarrassed just by association of being a human being. Fortunately, we're probably not being watched by creature more intelligent than ourselves.

This new "Feminism" seems to be mostly comprised irrational young liberal women. Their agenda does not seem to be promoting equal rights for women. It seems to be insanity. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then please look through a few articles of one of their more popular ezines.

http://everydayfeminism.com/

It is not just a few crazies making youtube videos: though there is not shortage of that either.

It's gotten so stomach-turningly rotten that there are groups popping of which women can (and apparently do) join to show their contempt of this brand of feminism. https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism/

So - what the fuck, Chuck? Why did this happen, and what's your opinion?

There is a screeching and infantile sort of feminism that pervades college campuses these days, but that sort of college age leftist has been around for decades--mostly because this kind of politics can only survive on a campus among youth who have no life experience to teach them to know better, and because a politically isolated academia is always present to inspire impressionable young people to go way out on a left limb.

The rabid politics on campus does not represent the political mainstream, and assuming that these people represent the future of the politics of a particular movement is not well founded--if it were, we'd probably all be communists by now.

My own feeling is that there is a significant overreach going on among young activist feminists that is going so far as to provoke a backlash. Men as an entire class of people are presumed to be animals driven to rape on campus. The circumstances for those men on campus accused of rape are barely distinguishable from that of a witch trial. Those women who find themselves with sons of school age find an environment in grade school and beyond that stifles their boys, and leads to a disproportionate rate of failure and dropout from school.

Those women with sons are not signing onto the new radical feminism, and that means that the screeching, infantile version of feminism on campus is quite likely to not get far outside that cloistered environment. The reaction to Steinem's foot-in-mouth proclamations about female Sanders supporters was encouraging. Clinton and her surrogates' playing of the gender card was not translating into votes or political support. That's a good sign, I think.
01-03-2016, 10:28 AM
(29-02-2016 10:20 PM)BryanS Wrote:  There is a screeching and infantile sort of feminism that pervades college campuses these days...

Citation needed.

I for one live at universities. Can't say I've seen too many screeching feminists around.

(29-02-2016 10:20 PM)BryanS Wrote:  My own feeling is that there is a significant overreach going on among young activist feminists that is going so far as to provoke a backlash. Men as an entire class of people are presumed to be animals driven to rape on campus. The circumstances for those men on campus accused of rape are barely distinguishable from that of a witch trial.

No, seriously. Citation needed.

Where do people get this stuff.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-03-2016, 10:31 AM
(29-02-2016 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 05:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Slightly - yes. I mean, the difference is the difference between MLK and Malcom X by my reckoning. Their both black civil rights activists, right?

My reckoning is the difference of those two have historically become more overblown in a perception building scope. And later before their ends there was more intermingling of their supposed separate approaches.

MLK was so "moderate" he was assassinated for it. The distinction between moderate and radical is almost entirely in the eyes of the beholder...

(29-02-2016 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But the perceptions to people seem to be what wins out for some reason

It's kind of inevitable. Particularly for those without direct contact with the movement/idea/phenomenon in question.