WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 12:18 PM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(01-03-2016 10:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  My reckoning is the difference of those two have historically become more overblown in a perception building scope. And later before their ends there was more intermingling of their supposed separate approaches.

MLK was so "moderate" he was assassinated for it. The distinction between moderate and radical is almost entirely in the eyes of the beholder...

(29-02-2016 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But the perceptions to people seem to be what wins out for some reason

It's kind of inevitable. Particularly for those without direct contact with the movement/idea/phenomenon in question.

I think it might be accurate to say MLK was assassinated because he was effective.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-03-2016, 01:21 PM
(01-03-2016 10:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I for one live at universities. Can't say I've seen too many screeching feminists around.

I also spend most of my time on-campus. It's everywhere here. One of the dormitories at my university is currently undergoing an extended program of mandatory "racial sensitivity and diversity counseling sessions" because someone drew a swastika on a whiteboard in the lobby, and there are rumors of an organization of black students here preparing to sue the school for enabling racism and sexism.

It isn't yet present in all universities, but the Tumblr feminism crowd that I mentioned earlier is a growing presence in colleges across the United States (I earlier cited examples such as Missou's troubles with black students, Emma Sulkowicz's documented slander of another student through false rape accusations, and so on). It might be more accurate, though, to say that radical leftist politics in general, whether calling themselves feminist or not, are becoming more popular in American colleges.

It's far from universal as of yet, and I have no idea if it ever will be, but it certainly is happening.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
01-03-2016, 02:13 PM
(01-03-2016 01:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I for one live at universities. Can't say I've seen too many screeching feminists around.

I also spend most of my time on-campus. It's everywhere here. One of the dormitories at my university is currently undergoing an extended program of mandatory "racial sensitivity and diversity counseling sessions" because someone drew a swastika on a whiteboard in the lobby, and there are rumors of an organization of black students here preparing to sue the school for enabling racism and sexism.

It isn't yet present in all universities, but the Tumblr feminism crowd that I mentioned earlier is a growing presence in colleges across the United States (I earlier cited examples such as Missou's troubles with black students, Emma Sulkowicz's documented slander of another student through false rape accusations, and so on). It might be more accurate, though, to say that radical leftist politics in general, whether calling themselves feminist or not, are becoming more popular in American colleges.

It's far from universal as of yet, and I have no idea if it ever will be, but it certainly is happening.

These are all reactionary movements though, are we bothered or worried about growth out of spotting up here and gone reactionary movements at times of youth though?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-03-2016, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 02:49 PM by Unbeliever.)
(01-03-2016 02:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  These are all reactionary movements though, are we bothered or worried about growth out of spotting up here and gone reactionary movements at times of youth though?

Well, for one, the fact that these are currently limited to campuses doesn't mean that they aren't harmful. The University of Missouri's president, for example, recently resigned as a result of the constant pressure that he was being put under to essentially put himself on stage and admit that he was a racist, despite the fact that he was responsible for precisely none of the problems that the students were ostensibly protesting. Paul Nungesser, the student that Emma Sulkowicz falsely accused of rape and spent her entire time on campus in an extended publicity stunt explicitly engineered to drag his name through the mud, has had irreparable damage done to his reputation due to Columbia University actively promoting Sulkowicz's campaign against him even after he was shown to be innocent.

The fact that this is currently limited to college campuses doesn't make it any less toxic or dangerous. Careers have been ended and lives have been destroyed.

Beyond that, I don't claim to know enough about politics or the growth patterns of such movements to know how much of an influence this will or will not have in the future. But the fact that several universities have caved to the demands made by these students, and that the number of instances of these demands being made is increasing, is something that does give me pause.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
01-03-2016, 03:32 PM
(01-03-2016 02:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 02:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  These are all reactionary movements though, are we bothered or worried about growth out of spotting up here and gone reactionary movements at times of youth though?

Well, for one, the fact that these are currently limited to campuses doesn't mean that they aren't harmful. The University of Missouri's president, for example, recently resigned as a result of the constant pressure that he was being put under to essentially put himself on stage and admit that he was a racist, despite the fact that he was responsible for precisely none of the problems that the students were ostensibly protesting. Paul Nungesser, the student that Emma Sulkowicz falsely accused of rape and spent her entire time on campus in an extended publicity stunt explicitly engineered to drag his name through the mud, has had irreparable damage done to his reputation due to Columbia University actively promoting Sulkowicz's campaign against him even after he was shown to be innocent.

The fact that this is currently limited to college campuses doesn't make it any less toxic or dangerous. Careers have been ended and lives have been destroyed.

Beyond that, I don't claim to know enough about politics or the growth patterns of such movements to know how much of an influence this will or will not have in the future. But the fact that several universities have caved to the demands made by these students, and that the number of instances of these demands being made is increasing, is something that does give me pause.

I live in a campus dominated community, and that was the basis for my comments above as well. And as I said upthread, I think this is naturally limited to campuses, but it's worth keeping an eye on, and it is a real phenomena.

In addition to the points you make, I would add that there are increasing numbers of males suing their universities (and starting to win at that) due to a complete lack of due process when accused. This NPR story covers that and describes the trend in increased lawsuits designed to protect male students from presumption of guilt and grossly biased and unfair adjudication by colleges and universities.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/15/446083439/...ack-rights

So yes, this is happening on campuses in the US.
01-03-2016, 03:34 PM
(01-03-2016 02:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

I would hold that the "reactionary anti-feminist screamers" are just as dangerous and no one seems to be addressing their behaviors at all. Fanatics, whichever side they are on are just that, fanatics and fringe opinions. Just because they are the loudest ones, doesn't give them power. In fact, if they had any real power, they wouldn't need to scream, would they? Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
01-03-2016, 03:36 PM
I would criticize a religious person who didnt take their fanatics seriously.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
01-03-2016, 03:41 PM
There's a difference between taking them seriously and making it a crisis. I also criticize drama prophets.

01-03-2016, 03:42 PM
(01-03-2016 03:41 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  There's a difference between taking them seriously and making it a crisis. I also criticize drama prophets.

Imagine if a muslim said "Oh dont worry about those extremists, they'll go away"

What would you think?
01-03-2016, 03:45 PM
(01-03-2016 03:42 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 03:41 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  There's a difference between taking them seriously and making it a crisis. I also criticize drama prophets.

Imagine if a muslim said "Oh dont worry about those extremists, they'll go away"

What would you think?

When they start beheading people I'll discuss the comparison. Until then, it's just a Chicken Little story.