WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(01-03-2016 03:32 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 02:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Well, for one, the fact that these are currently limited to campuses doesn't mean that they aren't harmful. The University of Missouri's president, for example, recently resigned as a result of the constant pressure that he was being put under to essentially put himself on stage and admit that he was a racist, despite the fact that he was responsible for precisely none of the problems that the students were ostensibly protesting. Paul Nungesser, the student that Emma Sulkowicz falsely accused of rape and spent her entire time on campus in an extended publicity stunt explicitly engineered to drag his name through the mud, has had irreparable damage done to his reputation due to Columbia University actively promoting Sulkowicz's campaign against him even after he was shown to be innocent.

The fact that this is currently limited to college campuses doesn't make it any less toxic or dangerous. Careers have been ended and lives have been destroyed.

Beyond that, I don't claim to know enough about politics or the growth patterns of such movements to know how much of an influence this will or will not have in the future. But the fact that several universities have caved to the demands made by these students, and that the number of instances of these demands being made is increasing, is something that does give me pause.

I live in a campus dominated community, and that was the basis for my comments above as well. And as I said upthread, I think this is naturally limited to campuses, but it's worth keeping an eye on, and it is a real phenomena.

In addition to the points you make, I would add that there are increasing numbers of males suing their universities (and starting to win at that) due to a complete lack of due process when accused. This NPR story covers that and describes the trend in increased lawsuits designed to protect male students from presumption of guilt and grossly biased and unfair adjudication by colleges and universities.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/15/446083439/...ack-rights

So yes, this is happening on campuses in the US.

There is debates and long discussion in academic and public forums going on over the point of whether or not universities should be handling legal issues to a point that they do. It's just complex to the level of when you shift power in a issue and at what point it has to leave campus hands to go to legal police system hands. There certainly do arise problems in these cases.

I just think some of the things stated this is, normal reality that has always existed and will always exist, being marked as if it's something different. It sounds like some people think universities changing their rules & ideas by the shifting of student demands is a on basis of that, harmful thing. I think that's a, always been happening thing. The shifting of how public images and policies have changed from decade to decade are apart of that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 03:48 PM
(01-03-2016 03:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 03:42 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Imagine if a muslim said "Oh dont worry about those extremists, they'll go away"

What would you think?

When they start beheading people I'll discuss the comparison. Until then, it's just a Chicken Little story.

What about getting innocent people fired from their jobs? Id say thats pretty shitty too, or doxxing peoples private information? Simply for disagreeing with them. You may be able to ignore that kind of behavior, but I cant.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
(01-03-2016 03:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 03:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  When they start beheading people I'll discuss the comparison. Until then, it's just a Chicken Little story.

What about getting innocent people fired from their jobs? Id say thats pretty shitty too, or doxxing peoples private information? Simply for disagreeing with them. You may be able to ignore that kind of behavior, but I cant.

Please don't put words in my words. I did not say to ignore them. I said I won't be incited to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-03-2016, 04:01 PM
(01-03-2016 03:56 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 03:48 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  What about getting innocent people fired from their jobs? Id say thats pretty shitty too, or doxxing peoples private information? Simply for disagreeing with them. You may be able to ignore that kind of behavior, but I cant.

Please don't put words in my words. I did not say to ignore them. I said I won't be incited to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

See. I cannot understand how ruining peoples lives is a mole hill. We will just have to agree to disagree on what is serious behavior.
01-03-2016, 04:03 PM
And no, I'm not okay when ANYONE does that kind of behavior, Feminist or otherwise.
01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
The reason I bring this up is on this thread we who are not feminists are asked to ignore the extremists and jump on board. I'm just trying to explain why I can't do that. I hope that makes sense.
01-03-2016, 04:12 PM
(01-03-2016 03:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is debates and long discussion in academic and public forums going on over the point of whether or not universities should be handling legal issues to a point that they do. It's just complex to the level of when you shift power in a issue and at what point it has to leave campus hands to go to legal police system hands. There certainly do arise problems in these cases.

I just think some of the things stated this is, normal reality that has always existed and will always exist, being marked as if it's something different. It sounds like some people think universities changing their rules & ideas by the shifting of student demands is a on basis of that, harmful thing. I think that's a, always been happening thing. The shifting of how public images and policies have changed from decade to decade are apart of that.

Colleges and Universities are being pressured by the US Department of Education to become "separate but equal" courts in areas that the police should properly handle. I think many campus officials would rather not be in the position of deciding guilt, but they are too afraid of losing federal funding.
01-03-2016, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 05:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-03-2016 10:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I for one live at universities. Can't say I've seen too many screeching feminists around.

Dude you're in the Physics department at Arctic Tundra U. Do you see any women at all?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-03-2016, 05:46 PM
(01-03-2016 04:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  The reason I bring this up is on this thread we who are not feminists are asked to ignore the extremists and jump on board. I'm just trying to explain why I can't do that. I hope that makes sense.

Again, I've not ask you or anyone to ignore extremists and I will ask (also again) to stop putting words in my words. Please.

I would suggest that there are no groups in existence that don't have extremists. None. I don't know what other groups you might support but you are okay with being a part of atheists groups and being associated with them, even though they too have extremists? You don't find that hypocritical?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-03-2016, 08:44 PM
(01-03-2016 10:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  My reckoning is the difference of those two have historically become more overblown in a perception building scope. And later before their ends there was more intermingling of their supposed separate approaches.

MLK was so "moderate" he was assassinated for it. The distinction between moderate and radical is almost entirely in the eyes of the beholder...

My analogy was meant to portray sensible and justified reform with militant and potentially violent reform. I could've probably came up with a more obvious analogy if I weren't half-drunk when I typed it. Apologies for any confusion. Hopefully this clarifies that.