WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 08:50 PM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
(01-03-2016 05:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 04:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  The reason I bring this up is on this thread we who are not feminists are asked to ignore the extremists and jump on board. I'm just trying to explain why I can't do that. I hope that makes sense.

Again, I've not ask you or anyone to ignore extremists and I will ask (also again) to stop putting words in my words. Please.

I would suggest that there are no groups in existence that don't have extremists. None. I don't know what other groups you might support but you are okay with being a part of atheists groups and being associated with them, even though they too have extremists? You don't find that hypocritical?

I'm not sure where I'm putting words in your mouth. I said people on here have said that. I wasnt specifically talking about you.

I would ask you how would becomes an extremist atheist, since atheists dont have an ideology outside of not believing in god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-03-2016, 08:58 PM
(01-03-2016 08:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 05:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Again, I've not ask you or anyone to ignore extremists and I will ask (also again) to stop putting words in my words. Please.

I would suggest that there are no groups in existence that don't have extremists. None. I don't know what other groups you might support but you are okay with being a part of atheists groups and being associated with them, even though they too have extremists? You don't find that hypocritical?

I'm not sure where I'm putting words in your mouth. I said people on here have said that. I wasnt specifically talking about you.

I would ask you how would becomes an extremist atheist, since atheists dont have an ideology outside of not believing in god.

I suppose if I joined some atheist group with extreme ideology I'd be very vocal against it if I didnt agree with it. Id watch and see how the moderates react to it. Then I'd leave if I didnt like what I was seeing I guess. I dunno. Its the inaction of the moderates that I'd decide how I felt I guess.
01-03-2016, 09:08 PM
(01-03-2016 08:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 05:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Again, I've not ask you or anyone to ignore extremists and I will ask (also again) to stop putting words in my words. Please.

So you're not answer. Ok.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-03-2016, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 10:04 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
(01-03-2016 09:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 08:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm not sure where I'm putting words in your mouth. I said people on here have said that. I wasnt specifically talking about you.

So you're not answer. Ok.

I did answer o.O I'm also unsure why you are being so curt. I havent been rude or anything. This is why I hate discussing this topic.
01-03-2016, 10:21 PM
(01-03-2016 09:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 09:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  So you're not answer. Ok.

I did answer o.O I'm also unsure why you are being so curt. I havent been rude or anything. This is why I hate discussing this topic.

If you look you will see my post was responding to the last post I saw you made. You had not made your other (2nd) separate post at that time. I was not being curt to your answer, I was being curt to your deflection and non-answer.

01-03-2016, 10:22 PM
(01-03-2016 10:21 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 09:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I did answer o.O I'm also unsure why you are being so curt. I havent been rude or anything. This is why I hate discussing this topic.

If you look you will see my post was responding to the last post I saw you made. You had not made your other (2nd) separate post at that time. I was not being curt to your answer, I was being curt to your deflection and non-answer.

Ah yes. That makes it better. I know its hard to miss something in 10 minutes time Wink

Anyway I'm done discussing this. If all I'm going to get is curtness its not worth it.
01-03-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm off to bed. I check in tomorrow. Goodnight. Smile

01-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Facepalm

Going back to the very first post that began the thread. Dark Light very clearly called out the extreme feminist that is gaining traction in our society. Their often poisonous message that distorts feminism into meaning feminine superiority.

Having said that, I understand what the problem is with this discussion and why so many before have failed.

There are people who aren't informed about this wave of feminism (that honestly aren't actually feminists at all) and they're so busy trying to defend feminism as they all know it to be, they're actually missing the point.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-03-2016, 12:14 AM
(01-03-2016 10:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Facepalm

Going back to the very first post that began the thread. Dark Light very clearly called out the extreme feminist that is gaining traction in our society. Their often poisonous message that distorts feminism into meaning feminine superiority.

Having said that, I understand what the problem is with this discussion and why so many before have failed.

There are people who aren't informed about this wave of feminism (that honestly aren't actually feminists at all) and they're so busy trying to defend feminism as they all know it to be, they're actually missing the point.

Although the website he linked to in his OP... Unless it's changed a lot since the last time I was there, I found that one of the more pragmatic and useful sources for info about feminism. (I haven't read the whole thread though).

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-03-2016, 08:04 AM
To me, the question is, should those who do not identify with this new wave of feminism (these she-woman man haters, if you will) re-brand themselves? Or should the goal be re-education?

Wasn't this the motivation with the whole Brights thing? The term "atheist" can have negative connotations. There are plenty of people who think it means "someone who hates god" or that it's someone who asserts that there is/are no god/s. My understanding is that because of these negative connotations, some atheists felt we should re-brand ourselves. There were other atheists who felt this was stupid (or, at the very least, silly or unnecessary) and seem to have focused more on re-educating people as to what being an atheist actually means.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully they are slightly coherent. Tongue

[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post