WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
We need another hashtag to go with #fuckingearmuffs. Dodgy

Fucking DLJ, why did you respond, rather than locking the thread and putting Dark Light in the time-out chair? Laugh out load

I mean, he got sore butt out of the deal regardless. Tongue

Imma go with what Imma go with, Imma feminist; a couple of crows do not make the birdsong. Perhaps I'd be more "egalitarian," but I hate new labels. And besides, fuck Anita. Evil_monster

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-02-2016, 11:20 AM
(28-02-2016 10:44 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 10:26 AM)julep Wrote:  This is anecdotal (heard it just a couple of days ago on NPR, that is), but what seems to happen is that employees who are willing to put aside private lives to make themselves available whenever the employer requires receive a premium for such. So while employees may work the same number of hours per week and have the same quality of output, those who are willing to give up control over when they put these hours in get more money.

As it stands now, this disproportionately affects even women without children, because women more often take on family obligations like taking care of elderly parents. I suspect that over time, as more men turn to flextime schedules and commit more time to their families, the gender disparity might be reduced, but probably not the compensation/career disparity.

Why say it disproportionately affects women who take on family obligations, and not people who take on family obligations? You have not shown that women are affected worse or better (disproportionate) in pay than men who make themselves less available; just that they do more often. Such a statement is incorrect, then

Yes, I was unclear in my wording. It is "people" who take on family obligations who are penalized. The study pointed out that women are far more likely to take on family obligations, whether these obligations involve children or parents or something else. The disproportion lies in the behavior and not the compensation. Men also have parents, relatives, and children who need care, yet it seems that fewer men rearrange their work schedules or responsibilities to provide care. More men are doing so, now, and I applaud that trend.

One might argue that workers in general should challenge employers' so heavily penalizing people in that situation, as the data don't indicate that workers handling family obligations produce inferior work or spend fewer hours working. (At least not according to the study; I am not making the claims myself, just reporting what it was that I heard as it seemed relevant to ClydeLee's post.)

I hope at some point the gender expectations regarding balancing family and work become more egalitarian.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
28-02-2016, 11:33 AM
(28-02-2016 11:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  We need another hashtag to go with #fuckingearmuffs. Dodgy

Fucking DLJ, why did you respond, rather than locking the thread and putting Dark Light in the time-out chair? Laugh out load

I know you're joking, but threads which can find a divide among the regulars are the good ones. Contraversial material and dissent should be encouraged. Nobody ever learned anything by being exposed to that which affirms their convictions.

It's why I rarely post in threads concerning theism; There's only so many ways a whole forum can explain to one person why they're wrong. There's nothing good there.
[+] 5 users Like Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 11:45 AM
(28-02-2016 11:33 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 11:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  We need another hashtag to go with #fuckingearmuffs. Dodgy

I know you're joking, but threads which can find a divide among the regulars are the good ones. Contraversial material and dissent should be encouraged. Nobody ever learned anything by being exposed to that which affirms their convictions.

It's why I rarely post in threads concerning theism; There's only so many ways a whole forum can explain to one person why they're wrong. There's nothing good there.

I agree, but this always causes unnecessary contention; the way I figure. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2016, 12:02 PM
(28-02-2016 11:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 11:33 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I know you're joking, but threads which can find a divide among the regulars are the good ones. Contraversial material and dissent should be encouraged. Nobody ever learned anything by being exposed to that which affirms their convictions.

I agree, but this always causes unnecessary contention; the way I figure. Undecided

Not if you take the misogynists with a grain of salt and consider the source. Wink

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-02-2016, 12:08 PM
(28-02-2016 12:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 11:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I agree, but this always causes unnecessary contention; the way I figure. Undecided

Not if you take the misogynists with a grain of salt and consider the source. Wink

At least we have sources.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
28-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I am absolutely not a feminist. Apparently this automatically makes me a misogynist? THIS is why I'm not a feminist. I do not agree with where a very vocal part of the "movement" has turned.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-02-2016, 12:18 PM
(28-02-2016 12:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Not if you take the misogynists with a grain of salt and consider the source. Wink
Oh, let me guess. You believe in the wage-gap myth. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-02-2016, 12:21 PM
(28-02-2016 12:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Not if you take the misogynists with a grain of salt and consider the source. Wink
Oh, let me guess. You believe in the wage-gap myth. Laugh out load

The wage gap is a myth. The solution to the actual problem is to start encourage girls to go into S.T.E.M. fields.

If your job is paying you differently for equal work, you get a lawyer, because that is against the law already. FFS.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-02-2016, 12:24 PM
(28-02-2016 12:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I am absolutely not a feminist. Apparently this automatically makes me a misogynist? THIS is why I'm not a feminist. I do not agree with where a very vocal part of the "movement" has turned.

Yeah the shame tactics are garbage. By labeling their opponents a word that denotes one as 'bad' they absolve themselves (in their mind) the need to address their opponents argument. For they're a bad person with bad beliefs; beneath them. A bad person is wrong a priori; one need not engage.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post