WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: WTF Happened to the "Feminism" Movement?
There are absolutely problems that still need to be solved, this is why I'm a humanist. However once we start silencing anyone who disagrees and not questioning our own thoughts anymore I'm out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-02-2016, 12:27 PM
(28-02-2016 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh, let me guess. You believe in the wage-gap myth. Laugh out load

The wage gap is a myth. The solution to the actual problem is to start encourage girls to go into S.T.E.M. fields.

If your job is paying you differently for equal work, you get a lawyer, because that is against the law already. FFS.
Based Hobbitgirl! Bowing

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-02-2016, 12:28 PM
(28-02-2016 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh, let me guess. You believe in the wage-gap myth. Laugh out load

The wage gap is a myth. The solution to the actual problem is to start encourage girls to go into S.T.E.M. fields.

If your job is paying you differently for equal work, you get a lawyer, because that is against the law already. FFS.

It's not a problem that needs fixing: People are working the jobs they want to? Good (I get what you mean, though, and you are right in your solution.)
28-02-2016, 12:31 PM
(28-02-2016 12:28 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  The wage gap is a myth. The solution to the actual problem is to start encourage girls to go into S.T.E.M. fields.

It's not a problem that needs fixing: People are working the jobs they want to? Good (I get what you mean, though, and you are right in your solution.)

Yeah I know what you mean as well. People choose the jobs they want and that is great. I don't think THAT is a problem.
28-02-2016, 12:33 PM
(28-02-2016 12:28 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  The wage gap is a myth. The solution to the actual problem is to start encourage girls to go into S.T.E.M. fields.

Well, the lack of women in S.T.E.M. fields (as well as the lack of men in fields where you primarily see women) is a problem caused by sexism. You sure choose what you want to do, but if you grow up being told what you should do, it's not a surprise if you end up doing what society tells you.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
28-02-2016, 12:36 PM
(28-02-2016 12:33 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:28 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  It's not a problem that needs fixing: People are working the jobs they want to? Good (I get what you mean, though, and you are right in your solution.)

Well, the lack of women in S.T.E.M. fields (as well as the lack of men in fields where you primarily see women) is a problem caused by sexism. You sure choose what you want to do, but if you grow up being told what you should do, it's not a surprise if you end up doing what society tells you.

But you are not some victim of society. Once you recognise the bias, you are able to step beyond it. And like i said, we need to encourage girls to go into STEM fields if they want to.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
28-02-2016, 12:39 PM
(28-02-2016 12:36 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:33 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, the lack of women in S.T.E.M. fields (as well as the lack of men in fields where you primarily see women) is a problem caused by sexism. You sure choose what you want to do, but if you grow up being told what you should do, it's not a surprise if you end up doing what society tells you.

But you are not some victim of society. Once you recognise the bias, you are able to step beyond it. And like i said, we need to encourage girls to go into STEM fields if they want to.

So once I recognize the bias when I'm 18, I can go back in time and study math in primary school because, despite what I was told as a kid, girls can actually be good at math?

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
28-02-2016, 12:40 PM
(28-02-2016 12:39 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:36 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  But you are not some victim of society. Once you recognise the bias, you are able to step beyond it. And like i said, we need to encourage girls to go into STEM fields if they want to.

So once I recognize the bias when I'm 18, I can go back in time and study math in primary school because, despite what I was told as a kid, girls can actually be good at math?

Yes. Well not back in time. But nothing is stopping you from learning math as an adult.
28-02-2016, 12:44 PM
(28-02-2016 12:40 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:39 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  So once I recognize the bias when I'm 18, I can go back in time and study math in primary school because, despite what I was told as a kid, girls can actually be good at math?

Yes. Well not back in time. But nothing is stopping you from learning math as an adult.

Sure, but I'll have a huge disadvantage during a time and a country that demands that I get my degree quick and find a job or else I won't survive. Also, not all biases can be recognized or even perceived, as some work at "subconscious" levels.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
28-02-2016, 12:45 PM
(28-02-2016 12:40 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:39 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  So once I recognize the bias when I'm 18, I can go back in time and study math in primary school because, despite what I was told as a kid, girls can actually be good at math?

Nothing is stopping me from entering into a brand new field of study as an adult...except life. Bills, adult responsibility, lack of time and resources, etc

The point that undergroundp is making is that it shouldn't be a "I finally recognize it when I'm 18" but a "it's never a problem and that's what feminism is advocating for."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post