WTF are MicroAggressions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 03:59 PM by Gilgamesh.)
RE: WTF are MicroAggressions?
(17-06-2015 03:44 PM)epronovost Wrote:  wondered why so many debates end up with both sides holding to their arguments?
I have, and I came to the same conclusion as you: Often, people become emotionally invested into their positions. They, at that point, are no longer a truth-seeker willing to dispose of their position in favor of one that may contrast with theirs, but is nevertheless more supported by objective reality; they are instead a figurative soldier, fighting an 'us vs them' battle. One way to keep them from degrading too far to the latter is be considerate of their feelings; because as soon as they feel offended, they think it a personal slight, and their fragile egos won't allow them to stay objective after that.

Quote:Except the second rule state rather clearly that feelings are important.
Yes, and that notion isn't mutually exclusive to 'cover your ears, not my mouth.' They should be considered, but not in the same way an argument should be considered. In fact, it's considered fallacious to attempt convince people on the merit of emotion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2015, 04:05 PM
@Gatheist

The term «melting pot» sometimes describe a full assimilation where no part is undistinguishable from the others like grain you crush in a melting pot. It’s the idea that everybody, no matter their origin, becomes an American. The other axiom that was proposed to describe the American society is the «Caesar Salad» it's a big mix of everything, but all the parts are still visible, relatively intact, but they are all interacting together to create the flavour. You can use it if you want, after all, the Caesar Salad is an American invention.

If you want to describe Capitalist country, you don't need to call them «Land of Opportunity». You can just call them capitalist country (unless you are dealing with someone who don't know what that means). Most people know what it implies in term of social and economic organisation.

You can disagree or even insult people has much has you want. Just be ready for them to reply in kind or upping the bar if they think you did it in a bad way or under bad circumstances. When I am rash with Christians and conservatives, I expect them to be rash with me and my belief in return. If I deeply insult one of them, I have no shame in presenting excuses and making amend. It's not because I disagree with someone that that person deserves less respect or care.
17-06-2015, 04:18 PM
(17-06-2015 04:05 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Gatheist

The term «melting pot» sometimes describe a full assimilation where no part is undistinguishable from the others like grain you crush in a melting pot. It’s the idea that everybody, no matter their origin, becomes an American. The other axiom that was proposed to describe the American society is the «Caesar Salad» it's a big mix of everything, but all the parts are still visible, relatively intact, but they are all interacting together to create the flavour.

Surely you mean Chef's Salad? Consider A Caesar Salad has romaine, croutons, parmesan, and dressing.

Quote:You can use it if you want, after all, the Caesar Salad is an American invention.

The Caesar Salad was invented at the Caesar Hotel in Tijuana, Mexico.

In Canada, the interplay of immigrant populations is referred to as the great mosaic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2015, 04:19 PM

The term «melting pot» sometimes describe a full assimilation where no part is undistinguishable from the others like grain you crush in a melting pot. It’s the idea that everybody, no matter their origin, becomes an American. The other axiom that was proposed to describe the American society is the «Caesar Salad» it's a big mix of everything, but all the parts are still visible, relatively intact, but they are all interacting together to create the flavour. You can use it if you want, after all, the Caesar Salad is an American invention.

>Being offended by a line of figurative speech because the dish it analogues after isn't as accurate as another dish.

[Image: costanza_400x400.jpg]

2 PC 4 me.
17-06-2015, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 04:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-06-2015 11:09 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  "... and has therefore instructed its professors to cease using the phrases “melting pot” and “land of opportunity.”

Except they didn't.

From the same article: "University of California Office of the President spokeswoman Shelly Meron said the university had not banned the words, insisting that the university system was 'committed to upholding, encouraging and preserving academic freedom and the free flow of ideas.' The fact is that while these terms may not be explicitly banned, the notions that the college is promoting equate to a de facto muzzling of speech."

That's a piss poor article to have come from a law student. "Oh my God! University of California told staff to cease and desist from using 'melting pot' or 'land of opportunity'! ... Okay not really but they might as well have." Dude's gonna make for a shitty lawyer.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-06-2015, 04:21 PM
@Chas

You are right it's the Chef's Salad. My mistake. The Canadian metaphor is also rather good in my opinion. All this talk of salad is making me hungry...
17-06-2015, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 08:37 PM by Gatheist.)

You can disagree or even insult people has much has you want. Just be ready for them to reply in kind or upping the bar if they think you did it in a bad way or under bad circumstances. When I am rash with Christians and conservatives, I expect them to be rash with me and my belief in return. If I deeply insult one of them, I have no shame in presenting excuses and making amend. It's not because I disagree with someone that that person deserves less respect or care.

I am not talking about DEEPLY INSULTING THEM. I mean small facial movements and a puzzled response to the statement that a persons faith is a conservative Christian that believes in YEC. It may be slight and so minor that you may not notice it, but that is just atheist privilege. Rather, you need to train yourself not to have these actions when someone announces that they are part of some ridiculous religion, as your actions are MICRO-aggression's.

P.S. I suffer a micro-aggression by the concept of diversity applied to me. Any diversity action to make a program more diverse based on personal attributes (sexual orientation, ethnicity, or theistic belief) is to assume that I am a perpetual immigrant and hold my culture close. It states that I can never fully integrate to American / White culture.

If diversity is strength because it allows diverse people that may have different viewpoints, then is it not a micro-aggression to assume that I have a differing viewpoint just because I am diverse?
17-06-2015, 05:23 PM
(17-06-2015 04:56 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  I am not talking about DEEPLY INSULTING THEM. I mean small facial movements and a puzzled response to the statement that a persons faith is a conservative Christian that believes in YEC. It may be slight and so minor that you may not notice it, but that is just atheist privilege. Rather, you need to train yourself not to have these actions when someone announces that they are part of some ridiculous religion, as your actions are MICRO-aggression's.

While the article you posted was crap, the concept of micro-aggression is something interesting we can pursue here. When someone feels the need to share their particular metaphysics with me and I feel they are just so much childish nonsense, I consciously control my urge to smirk. No good can come of that. Another instance I remember when I went to my ethics counselor and said "I have an ethics question." looking pretty much like Bobby from Sons of Anarchy [Image: bobby.jpg] and he started laughing. "What? Do you know what I'm going to ask?" Lawyer caught himself, abruptly stopped laughing and turned beet red. Dude has never even smiled in my presence since. Those would be excellent examples of micro-agressions. Unlike you, I think the concept of micro-aggression is a useful social science construct. Not exactly sure what your problem with it is.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-06-2015, 05:32 PM
(17-06-2015 05:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 04:56 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  I am not talking about DEEPLY INSULTING THEM. I mean small facial movements and a puzzled response to the statement that a persons faith is a conservative Christian that believes in YEC. It may be slight and so minor that you may not notice it, but that is just atheist privilege. Rather, you need to train yourself not to have these actions when someone announces that they are part of some ridiculous religion, as your actions are MICRO-aggression's.

While the article you posted was crap, the concept of micro-aggression is something interesting we can pursue here. When someone feels the need to share their particular metaphysics with me and I feel they are just so much childish nonsense, I consciously control my urge to smirk. No good can come of that. Another instance I remember when I went to my ethics counselor and said "I have an ethics question." looking pretty much like Bobby from Sons of Anarchy [Image: bobby.jpg] and he started laughing. "What? Do you know what I'm going to ask?" Lawyer caught himself, abruptly stopped laughing and turned beet red. Dude has never even smiled in my presence since. Those would be excellent examples of micro-agressions. Unlike you, I think the concept of micro-aggression is a useful social science construct. Not exactly sure what your problem with it is.

What is your opinion on clapping? Micro-Aggression?
17-06-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 05:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-06-2015 05:32 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  What is your opinion on clapping? Micro-Aggression?

In what context?

ooops, posting that video might've been a micro-aggression ... Blush

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post